• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

hand warmers revisited

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
my g4 simply doesnt get warm enough. its odd they get plenty warm at idle but not when riding. dealer said they
are set on high. anyone swap out the stock elements for aftermarket last year and did it help? don't want cold hands all season again but worried maybe not enough amps to get aftermarket ones any warmer

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Supposedly there is a “programming “ issue that Doo is “aware” of. Supposed to be flashing to fix it. At least that is story ( thinking BS, but...) I was told at the hill climb last spring.

Get your dealer to start making phone calls to BRP about crappy hand warmers.

I am

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Had this issue last season when we picked up the Gen4 850s, took the sleds back to the dealer and they did their magic, no problem since nice and warm.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Had this issue last season when we picked up the Gen4 850s, took the back to the dealer and they did their magic, no problem since nice and warm.

I thought the only thing the dealers could do to the hand warmers via software was to change the balance of heat between the thumb and hand areas. I didn't think they could increase the overall heat output.

wow that is strange, mine get so hot i can't turn them up over half way before for any length of time or they feel like they could almost burn my gloves?? I know that's probably not possible but they get smokin hot, too hot to use on full anyway but after having issues with my XP hand warmers not putting out enough heat I will gladly live with these on low.
There must be a quality control issue here with how they are made or installed to make them fluctuate so much?:noidea:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Yea mine last year took forever to get “warm” cranked all the way on high.

Then one side would go cold, the other also lost temp just not as bad. Then come back to life randomly.....

Dealer looked at them several times, “no issues”.

15c8b510c10ebdb9f8479766c060e5af.jpg

The dealer can only adjust the balance. If it’s pull start the grip heaters work poorly. If it has e-start they get really warm.

Haven’t heard of a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
estart here and mine are pretty good, there are times that i have to turn them down from full( at -30)

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
15c8b510c10ebdb9f8479766c060e5af.jpg

The dealer can only adjust the balance. If it’s pull start the grip heaters work poorly. If it has e-start they get really warm.

Haven’t heard of a single issue.

So, how will they be on a sled with the SHOT system?

CookeCityRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Powell, WY.
Last season my dealer was able to verify an issue with the grip heaters on my electric start 850. The voltage at the heaters would drop from 13 to 9 volts without changing the setting. The factory wasn’t able to figure out what the problem was at the time but I would assume and hope they have by now.
My guess would be a software bug as you could hit the high beam switch and they would be really warm for a while. But randomly or when restarted they would only be luke warm at the max setting.
It could be related some load shedding program built in to protect alternator or other electronics. The clue is the change in load (current) caused by switching the high beams.
From the diagram above the grip heater resistance is constant so the heat level is varied by changing the voltage to the heater elements.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
my dealer contacted brp on my issue and their response is that they aren't aware of any issues??? I'm not the only one. this was discussed last season on these forums.

would love to hear for the doo rep guy that posts on SW. once again they get warm @ idle and cool off at higher rpm. it sux to have to take a chance on aftermarket warmers when it sounds more like an amp drop to me.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
So I was at the dealer tonight talking with them and there may be a ground wire down by the chain case that comes loses and causes the problem.

Premium Features