• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Putting a turbo on a new sled.. rebuild?

A
Sep 5, 2015
massachusetts
So i've been doing a bunch of research and haven't found much good info.

I have a Silber on order for my '16 axys with approx 1800 miles I think.

I would like to freshen the motor before adding the boost.

Does anyone have any knowledgeable information on pistons that would be best to put in my sled.

Also, should I do anything else while i'm in there.

Anything else I should consider? egt,boost gage, fuel controller?

Thanks for any info

Dan

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
first off welcome to turbo power :face-icon-small-hap

not to bust your nuts but do more research
many knowledgeable folks on here
(more knowledgeable than i)

you will find most agree that the oem polaris pistons are the best option

other things to check
reeds
cylinder
motor mounts
powervalves
clutch rebuild

if its Silber Axys kit then no fuel controller necessary
i think a boost gauge is handy
shouldn't need EGT

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
1) A fuel controller is a big "no" with the Silber kit. That'd be like adding a cord to bluetooth headphones ;)

2) If it were me, I'd do OEM reeds and pistons. I would clean my powervalves well. For the hell of it I'd probably replace my relays and seal them best I can as they can cause problems. Finally, I'd get new exhaust gaskets and maybe motor mounts (why not)

3) I'd absolutely rebuild my clutch.

4) Boost gauge can be nice, especially if you happen to spring a leak (which can happen)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Most all that needs done on the sleds is just the fact that the axys does wear out stuff super fast even in stock trim. Fresh pistons/rings would not be a bad idea and stock is a solid program there.

For sure new motor mounts. I notice mine wearing and having issues in stock sleds around 1000 miles. SLP torque arm is a pretty cheap option and will help keep the motor inline under power. Fresh exhaust donuts are always a good investment as well.

Basically making sure you have a nice tight stock motor and driveline behind the turbo is key to happy life. The best running turbo kit in the world isnt that impressive if its on a clapped out sled that has issues all its own.

A
Sep 5, 2015
massachusetts
Thanks for the tips.

I'm far from new with sleds and doing p.m. I clean my valves annually and keep a spare set of relays on my sled. I did not consider my motor mounts or the torque arm.. funny considering we sell torque arms for sleds.

Glad I asked. Cant wait for the build!

Premium Features