• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 800 3"

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
I have a 2018 with chain case that has a weird tick I really think it is coming from the break this was the first chain case sled I have had since 2012 so not sure anyone else ever experience this?

Thanks Darren

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
any specific conditions you notice it in more then others?

Milage?

Have you popped off the cover and or checked the oil for particulate?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Try it on a stand to see if you can reproduce it. Might help you isolate it. Doubt it is the rotor, no more likely than the belt drive sleds anyway. I would check chain-case tension first, easy to do (if you don't know how, it should be in the owners manual how to do it, or just ask if you need to). You can check the filler plug (magnetic) for particulate but I pretty much guarantee you will find some, that is what the magnet is for. Could not hurt to open up the chaincase, check the condition of the internals, check the tensioner (had them break before). Clean it all out and put in fresh oil. But that is a bit more of a chore.

I just picked up a 17 Axys with a chaincase, switched out tracks, and under certain conditions, low speed and off-throttle, I am getting loud clicking / vibration, I figured out it was the clips slapping / snapping against the hyfax under certain conditions. Center driver appears to be not on center and was rubbing hard on one side of the center punched windows. Talked to friend of mine at the dealer and a mechanic happened by, turns out the center driver can drift slightly off center. Check if that is the case... if it is they told me you can carefully drive the center driver back to center with a little persuasion... equally on each side of the center driver...

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Have always keep chain tight I have yet to find the magnetic dip stick I am heading out this weekend to summerize my sleds so I will open up chain case and look at track but that track thing sounds like it.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
There is no dip stick on these sleds. The chain case oil plug is low on the chain case facing the foot well. Theres a small hole in the foot well to allow access to the plug.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Have always keep chain tight I have yet to find the magnetic dip stick I am heading out this weekend to summerize my sleds so I will open up chain case and look at track but that track thing sounds like it.

There is no dip stick on these sleds. The chain case oil plug is low on the chain case facing the foot well. Theres a small hole in the foot well to allow access to the plug.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
What 05rmksteve said... it is a filler plug not a dipstick, facing an access hole in the footwell, and it is magnetic so wipe it good and clean. My sled with about 800 miles on it, the chaincase oil looked pretty well used and the magnetic plug was doing its job collecting stuff... the track issue was fairly obvious once I looked in the right place, sitting on the trailer and not moving it around by hand, the center driver was over fairly hard against one side of the center-punched windows and looking at the involute driver positions there was no way for the track itself to be that far off center just by happenstance... Let us know what you find out.
EDIT: And be careful not to cross-thread the filler plug when replacing it, not a lot of threads there.

Last edited:
Premium Features