• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shorter Brake Lever - "Short Stop Pro"

R
Oct 6, 2012
Denver, CO
My buddies and I were not happy with the stock brake lever distance from the handle bar, it requires you to let go of the bar too much and is just a little too far away for a comfortable position. So we decided to fire up the CNC machine and make a few of our own. These are just raw 6061 aluminum but could be polished up for an even better look. They make use of the existing hardware and keep the stock functionality of the parking brake.

I thought I'd throw it out to any of you other guys who like to rest a finger or two on the brake lever when sidehilling. We're not looking to make a business out of this but if guys are interested we can make them for $65 +s/h. just message me or email me bob@outlineindustries.com

IMG_20131222_171631_049.jpg

IMG_20131222_171524_874.jpg

Anyone else have the same issue? Thoughts?

Last edited:
P

Polaris233

Nov 29, 2010
Manitoba Canada
I had the same thought as you but didn't have the machinery to make my own, so I bought one from amp. Your price is a bit higher than what's already on the market but maybe people will prefer your style and pay a little extra.
http://www.tricked-toys.com/ProdBrakeLever.htm

On the tricked toys link you sent there's only levers for ski doos and cats, will one of those 2 work on the pros? if not these home-made ones look like a good option

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I had the same thought as you but didn't have the machinery to make my own, so I bought one from amp. Your price is a bit higher than what's already on the market but maybe people will prefer your style and pay a little extra.
http://www.tricked-toys.com/ProdBrakeLever.htm

Same route I went and worked well though the one in the pic looks a lil' more one-finger friendly. $45 and you'd sell a bunch, $65 a bit too much.

Have FUN!

G MAN

I
Nov 26, 2007
Depending on how you mount the resevoir you can control the throw. I put mine on the bend of the bars and the lever almost touches the bar when compressed.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I see that rsprohas, who started this thread, has not replied to some of the questions. I sent him a pm as well and no response. Would be interested in his product if the pricing was more in line. I would like to see some kind of rubber coating or other type of grip material instead of the raw metal. Use to coat our old sled levers with that liquid rubber product that had sand or something like that in it. Been too many years ago to recall exactly what it was. I'm sure that there are much better products now.

R
Oct 6, 2012
Denver, CO
Hey guys thanks for the feedback sorry for the delay on responding (gone for the holidays). I like the idea of a plastic coating - heat shrink, plasti dip, liquid tape, etc. We'll have to play with it and see what works best. Thanks for that!

The closest spot to reach the lever has moved about 1/2" in towards the bar (where you would rest a single finger) but that closest spot has shifted closer to the reservoir compared to stock for a better grip on the bars.

I will be back over to the shop this weekend and try to get some comparison shots/numbers vs the stock handle.

I'll see what I can do on price, if we have enough guys interested maybe we will make a run of 10 or so at once...

-Bob

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Plastidip is an ambient cure plastisol that cures by solvent evaporation. I can tell you for a fact that none of those suggestions will work (long-term) on a brake lever as they would lose adhesion. The way to do it is to use an etch primer and then to coat with a bake on plastisol. I'm still involved in that industry (working with California Medical Innovations) and could recommend a good applicator in your area if interested. Also, FWIW, the AMP levers are anodized. That alone seems to be "good enough" as I've never had a freezing issue with mine (tho the plastisol route would be nicer on the fingers).

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'd get half a dozen, price dependent of course. I think I'd take mine raw so I can rework the corners with a radius router bit and then send them off for hard anodizing with teflon impregnation.

R
Oct 6, 2012
Denver, CO
I'd get half a dozen, price dependent of course. I think I'd take mine raw so I can rework the corners with a radius router bit and then send them off for hard anodizing with teflon impregnation.

Alright alright... I will be riding with my buddy tomorrow who owns the machine and uses it for his business. I'll see what we can do to work out a better price. It sounds like there is some decent interest so if we're not making one part at a time the process time should drop quite a bit. His machine is similar to this one:

Biesse%20Picture1A.jpg

So as you can imagine, a single brake lever doesn't take up too much space on it.

We are riding tomorrow so we can confirm the shape is exactly what we want for riding if there are no tweaks we can ship raw parts later this week.

Stay tuned!

Premium Features