• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 M7 secondary removal

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Push the helix on the secondary in and it will loosen the belt. It will take a lot of force to puch the helix in though.

This, but don't just push, twist at the same time. Once you force it open its pretty easy to get the belt loose and out. :face-icon-small-win

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
Do I just push on the helix or do i need to try to turn the outer sheave at the same time?

this will work as well but watch your fingers if you slip. easiest way is to use a filter wrench and give it a turn, will work like a charm

J
Dec 19, 2007
Waterville, WA
Thanks for the advice, the filter wrench makes it easy. On the '05 M7, it looks like the diamond drive fill plug is also the drain plug. Is it easier to remove the diamond drive cover to get all the oil out?

D
Nov 28, 2007
If i do split the case, do i need to get a new seal for it or is it reusable?

No just use some RTV. Put a light film and spread smooth with your finger. Let it start to tack up and put it back together. Not to much or it will end up inside the drive.

If you have the updated bolt that holds the secondary on you take it off and flip the UFO like washer on the end and bolt it back on. This will open up the secondary as you tighten it up and the belt will just fall off...... well you need to peal it out.

Then if you can't get the secondary off you need to pull the spring from the end cap. Take the end cap off. Spin the white adjuster out. Pull the spring out. Pop the end cap back on. Now spinning the secondary's shift the two half will bang together and hammer the secondary off nice and even if it is stuck on. The close ended helix's you kinda dinked if stuck on.

Don.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
there should be a filler hole on the case behind the secondary and if the secondary is stuck on there is a puller tool cat sells or i believe some aftermarket companies sell to take it off without damaging anything. i've never had a problem getting my secondary off but my brothers was seized on and he had to get the tool to pull it off. put a bit of grease on the splines before re-installing the secondary and it should just slide of next time.

D
Nov 28, 2007
there should be a filler hole on the case behind the secondary and if the secondary is stuck on there is a puller tool cat sells or i believe some aftermarket companies sell to take it off without damaging anything. i've never had a problem getting my secondary off but my brothers was seized on and he had to get the tool to pull it off. put a bit of grease on the splines before re-installing the secondary and it should just slide of next time.

If the splines are not cut deep enough the top gear splines and the inner splines will ramp together sticking the secondary on. No matter how much grease or anti-sez you put on she will still stick on.

Don.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
remove all the bolts and put a screwdriver in the slots and slowly pry. should just pop right apart

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

No fill hole on the 05. The only one is the drain inside the tunnel. I drain it into a cup then i jack the front of the sled up a little and you will get more oil out since they didn't quite put the hole in the bottom. After I drain and flush it I roll the sled over onto its clutch side. I place a I put a little plastic nozzle on the oil bottle and tip it into the drain with one finger over the end of the nozzle until it is where it needs to be.

Thanks for the advice, the filter wrench makes it easy. On the '05 M7, it looks like the diamond drive fill plug is also the drain plug. Is it easier to remove the diamond drive cover to get all the oil out?

On O5' yes, fill plug is also drain plug. I just loose the track, lock brake on then unbolt the bolt on rotor side and take out the long bolt then pry rubber dampner at 10'o clock out with screwdriver on diamond drive side where the hidden nut is then take 13mm nuts out around outside the cover then pry it loose few inches then pull the wire easily out of footwell area to expose the connector to unplug before you pull DD out of sled. (be sure to mark both plug connectors cause both wires are same color so just to be safe to mark with something bright pen or whatever) Drain into measurement cup so you know how much to add fresh oil back in. Be sure to blue locite the long bolt and torque it to 55 ft lbs on rotor side after you put DD back on.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
If the splines are not cut deep enough the top gear splines and the inner splines will ramp together sticking the secondary on. No matter how much grease or anti-sez you put on she will still stick on.

Don.

yes, i noticed this issue when i regeared my sled. but a little lube on the splines still cant hurt.

Premium Features