• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 M7 with 153 questions

F
Dec 19, 2007
Utah
I'm looking at buying an 05 m7 with a 153. The report card on it here on snowest rates it as a "B" for power output, clutching, overall handeling, cornering and suspension. Then it gives it "A's" in reliabilty, climbing, and powder. I am comming off a 2000 polaris 800 with a 144. What am I looking at if I do decided to pull the trigger and pick it up. Does the Report Card really reflect accuratly on it. I mostly Boondock in and out of trees and meadows. Not a ton of hill banging. It has 2100 miles on it.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
You will be highly pleased with the M7. May need a few tweaks here and there. The ride will be 100% easier to ride. I rode my m6 for a couple years then borrowed my freinds 01 800. We rode an excellent powder day that day and I swore I was riding a snow sub. I could not believe the difference. You will be very happy.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
I ride an '05 M7 162. Can't compare it to the Polaris, but I suspect you will like it a lot. There are much better riders and mechanics on here who can provide more info, but in my opinon... My suspicion would be that the lower ratings in handling, cornering and suspension all have to do with trail riding. If you're pretty much a powder rider they won't be too much of an issue. Most people like the handling in the powder very much. Depending on far you want to go clutching can be fixed for anywhere from $100 (different springs and a shift assist) to $400 - $500 (torsional set up and 10.4" or bigger sheaves). If it doesn't already have these you will probably want: some venting ($100 - $200), a riser (less than $50) and the HRP front torque arm relocation brackets ($25). If it still has the attac20 track that may be an issue for you. Floats in the powder really well but loses a lot of traction on hardpack and climbing. Can be trimmed or run in hillclimb mode to resolve much of those issues. There are some hard core riders on here who still prefer the A20. They can tell you how best to deal with it. My $.02.

S
Feb 21, 2009
m7 rocks

This sled will do fine.Depending on the price go for it many miles left.I have about 4000 hard miles on mine and still runs like 1st day.. Very reliable pull and go.Trail ridind is only downfall, but you will adjust.Best mod would be powerclaw track...JMO.. pull the trigger will keep up with the best ,definatly in mtn. riding conditions:beer;

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
The bottom end is a little gutless, but not horrible by any means. I'm 6'6" 260 so i'm bigger than the average person. She likes to be WFO, that's where the fun is! Just dropped an RKT 8 bigbore in this year, that seems to have fixed the weak bottom end. Spend a little time on the clutching and ride, it's a solid, reliable machine.

73GOLIATH

Jan 3, 2008
hi
i love the handling on the m sleds i let my friend who was riding a yammy mm7 ride my sled for a full day and he went out and bought a 08 m1000 for this year so he can keep up

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i came off a 99 rmk to an m7 about 3 years ago and couldnt be happier. power wise you will feel like you took a loss compaired to the poo but you really dont, the m7 just doesnt have the real strong hit on the bottom like the poos and doos but the power is there once it gets goin. the only other place the poo may be better is trail manners, the M is not a trail sled it is built specificly for mountain riding and thats where it shines. all other aspects, sidehilling, climbing, powder riding and reliability the m7 will beat the pants off your poo.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
once you get one you'll never want to ride your polaris again!!! not saying the polaris was a bad sled in its day, but the rider forward ergonamics of the M is just soooooooo much better. you'll be surprised how much less tired you'll be at the end of the day and how much bigger the smile on your face will be...

F
Dec 19, 2007
Utah
Thanks for all the comments. I finally got to take a look at the sled, and it looks like I might be waiting for another to come my way. A couple things concern me. The A-arms have rust and flakeing paint on and around most of the welds. The bushings that go into the A-arms to ski spindles are cracked and the guy told be he had replaced them last year. Hood Cracked at the corners on both sides. A bunch of tears on the seat. just kind of and over all beat appearance. I understand it is used, and 4 years old, but I have seen much better cared for 4 year old sled out there, for a couple hundred more.

M
Apr 15, 2008
Brigham City
Thanks for all the comments. I finally got to take a look at the sled, and it looks like I might be waiting for another to come my way. A couple things concern me. The A-arms have rust and flakeing paint on and around most of the welds. The bushings that go into the A-arms to ski spindles are cracked and the guy told be he had replaced them last year. Hood Cracked at the corners on both sides. A bunch of tears on the seat. just kind of and over all beat appearance. I understand it is used, and 4 years old, but I have seen much better cared for 4 year old sled out there, for a couple hundred more.

I've seen a lot of the welds flaking paint, I think that they didn't do a real good job cleaning all the residue off before painting. Watch KSL.com sometimes there are some good buys, and you won't be sorry for getting a "M" they almost take the fun out of trying to go places that you would never dream of going with other sled....POINT & GO!! WOW what a RUSH:face-icon-small-hap

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I second the 'flaking paint on the welds'. I'm not sure if its because they don't clean them well enough prior to paint, or if the welds flex a little when riding in the cold (paint gets brittle). I have had two, and both did that on the welds. Loved them both. Wanted more power and the local 'cat dealer is a retard, so I went Dragon 8. But, I have ZERO bad things to say about the M-series.

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
The bushings are probably shot where the spindle bolts on to the a-arms the stock ones go out in a year.This adds stress to the arms/welds which cracks the paint. The power will be down. I had 2 06 M7's and one had slp air horn, aftermarket power valves, d&d y-pipe, pipe and can and it still didn't have any power! Very reliable though! I would go with a big bore kit as a starting point. Overall it's a great sled, these are just my opinions. Rev

Premium Features