• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Play in Steering Column?

M
Dec 7, 2007
Just bought a new 2016 Pro RMK Axys 800 a few days ago and haven't even taken it for its first ride yet. Loaded onto the sled deck and unloaded into the garage. Checking it out in the garage last night, I noticed the steering column had a solid 1/8 inch of play in it when pulling straight up on the bars. No side to side or front to back play in the column, but definitely felt the "gap" when pulling straight up and down on the bars. Asked my buddy about it who just bought the same sled from the same dealer and he had a little play in his as well but not as bad as mine. Called the dealer and he said the Assault he had on the shop floor does the same thing as mine, and that's how Polaris sent them and they are supposed to have that little bit of play. So, I'm curious if this is normal for all the rest of you Axys owners, or something to be concerned about... Might not notice it much when I actually put it on snow, but in the garage just seems a little sloppy when pulling straight up and down on the steering column. So, do your steering columns have any up and down play, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Just the way it is. The steering post blocks are plastic. OFT makes an aluminum block with a bushing that will take care of that. Mine has gotten pretty bad after 300 miles, will probably do the OFT blocks soon.

M
Dec 7, 2007
Thanks Indy 500! Yeah just seems a little bit sloppy for a brand new sled. I will definitely be replacing mine as well if it gets any worse :(

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Oh its going to get a lot worse! 500 miles on mine and they are very worn. will likely finish out the year on them unless I break one. Always ran OFT bushings on my yamaha's...... very nice stuff. Eric

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Not sure if AXYS blocks are build like the PRO's. Found that the shoulder area of blocks are a little thicker on one side. On my PRO they were installed with thick part of upper and lower blocks facing each other and I had a lot of slop. Turned them around and slop was gone. If you ride hard the aluminum might be best.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Polzin's billet aluminum Steering Bushings are better than OFT's

Polzin's use replacable Plastic bushings that can't fall out, in a CNC'd billet aluminum housing, with slotted bolt holes to eliminate any play.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Polzin's use replacable Plastic bushings that can't fall out, in a CNC'd billet aluminum housing, with slotted bolt holes to eliminate any play.

Why do you believe plastic is better than oilite? I ask that specifically because oft's inserts also can't fall out, are cnc'd billet aluminum, and have slotted bolt holes to eliminate play.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Why do you believe plastic is better than oilite? I ask that specifically because oft's inserts also can't fall out, are cnc'd billet aluminum, and have slotted bolt holes to eliminate play.

I personally won't put that heavy of a bushing on a sled. Oilite bronze is heavier than steel. OFT's earlier version the oilite bronze could fall out if you installed them wrong side up (or at least that is what one person posted here). Additionally his early version was not slotted, that change came after seeing Polzin's.

They are both better than the stock offering on the PRO and likely the AXYS too. Just not my choice, I don't run any of them, because the the stock extruded aluminum strap from the Pro-X / IQR post is lighter and the Bushings from the 2010 PRO Ride Rush chassis fits the PRO steering parts. Mine are actually lighter than the stock plastic crap, plus the fasteners are far shorter so when I changed them out to TI it saved me even more.

Stock Polaris PRO Bushings 80 Grams
Stock Polaris PRO Bushings and stock bolts 140 Grams
Extruded aluminum strap with bushing 51 Grams
Extruded aluminum strap with bushing with TI bolts 65 Grams (2.15 X lighter)

I did not include the aluminum shim as I reuse it as a shim.

FWIW

Last edited:
B
Oct 31, 2010
Had same thing on mine, dealer took the column apart, cut the welds off and rewelded tight on the "bearing" now its perfect. They definitely dont have all the same play in the steering column

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
happyfacepp.com Has sweet built stearing blocks, order all three!

These are the bushings I manufacture. They are designed for the pro and may not work on the axys . I will know soon when I measure the axys bushing. They are very similar but I believe the bolt centerline is narrower.

Premium Features