• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 M7 missing/bogging above 7000rpm

C
Feb 9, 2010
Missoula, MT
I have a 2006 M7 with a Speedwerx pipe and can. I just came from riding in West Yellowstone and it started doing it out there. Above 7000 rpm it just runs like crap, it will pull through up until 8000-8100 but just really rough. Occasionally under heavy load in deep powder, my sled just decides to bog/miss/spit and sputter out on me and then I end up getting stuck. I am currently at low elevation in MI. I cleaned my powervalves just to make sure those weren't the issue and that didn't do anything. Any suggestions?

D

DusterB

Nov 26, 2007
B-Town MT
Do you have a fuel controller? Not sure of the elevation in MI but West is at 7500-9000 ft. If you don't that could be your problem. If you do did you try adding fuel at the top end of your map?

C
Feb 9, 2010
Missoula, MT
No I don't have a controller. I have a hard time believing that it would be that tho because I ran it without a controller all last year here in MI and in WY and didn't have any issues at all last year. I could be wrong tho. A friend of mine said that it could be a ring possibly? Runs fine without a load but once a load then it dies out. I plan to check compression this week

M
Dec 23, 2010
Sounds silly but is the belt new? My son's modded 900 with twins and a bunch of other stuff would run like a banshee everywhere but uphill in deep powder. New belt, it rips now.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would look at the powervalves, If valves are clean and move easy, check cables and make sure they move easy then make sure the servo is turning and opening them. I always recommend unplugging everything electrical that go's to the handle bars and unplug brake light wires down by the brake rotor.

Hand warmers and break light wiring can cause that kind of thing,
You also want to check clutching, rollers, bushings, make sure set screw are tight and weights arent moving side to side, try a new belt just to rule it out.
If yours has an adjustable secondary you may want to try tightening it a tad, but I doubt thats it if it is hitting rpm eventually
Check motor mounts,
check and make sure baro tube is not plugged.
put in new plugs
when checking compression, just keep pulling until it wont go any higher.
check plug wires and caps (caps screwed on tight)
check ground wires
those are the easy ones, I think there is some others but thats all I can think of right now.

C
Feb 9, 2010
Missoula, MT
Thanks everyone for your input. After class today I plan on checking some of the stuff out. What s the best way to adjust the power valves? I have a suspicion that it might be my handwarmers because my grips move all the time. Looks like I need to get grips coming.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Thanks everyone for your input. After class today I plan on checking some of the stuff out. What s the best way to adjust the power valves? I have a suspicion that it might be my handwarmers because my grips move all the time. Looks like I need to get grips coming.

They are easy to adjust but I can't remember the spec, maybe someone else will chime in, but for now just unhook everything to the bars to eliminate the hand warmers or anything else, you will have to plug it back in to shut it off though.

Premium Features