• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powderjack

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
When staying at Togwotee this past March we ran into a group of Yammie riders that swear by these and I can understand why with those heavy machines.

However, I was wondering if any guys run them on their 2 strokes. We are from Michigan and in good shape but the altitude kicks our butts pretty good when getting stuck. Wondering how easy these are to use or if they are worth the hassle(if they are a hassle)?

Pros/Cons...any feedback appreciated

Thanks

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
When Val and I first started riding in 2009, we were on Yamaha four strokes. Between the heavy weight and our lack of abilities we carried a powderjack.

We have not carried one since we started riding Pros in 2010-11.

The method of getting unstuck that the Powderjack demonstrates is lifting the sled out of the trench and setting it on top of the snow next to the trench. We never use this method, even when we are riding with a bunch of guys.

Typically it's roll it over and go-- or roll on its side, stomp out underneath and roll it back and go. That's only if a ski tug won't get the job done.

The Pro-Ride would get unstuck pretty easy, the Axys is even easier.

The downside to carrying one is that the running boards are pretty narrow and the powderjack attaches to the tunnel pushing your foot out and allowing a place for snow to buildup.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Not required for a pro. Here's how you get unstuck:

On a hill/incline - Get off your sled and stand on the side you will roll it toward. Start your sled, pin the throttle and pull on the bars. The spinning track will dig itself out and allow the sled to be easily rolled on its side. Once on its side, turn your sled off and simply finish the roll to roll it out of the hole.

In the flats - Get off your sled and start it up. Now pin the throttle and shake the bars until it climbs out of the hole. Don't be shy about giving it throttle. Hold it wide open and it'll pop right out every time. If your sled doesn't move, you're either not shaking enough or not pinning it. Sometimes, if you're not too stuck, or the snow isn't deep, you can stay on the sled and pin and shake.

These methods are super easy, once you get the hang of them. No jack necessary. Never need to shovel.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Not required for a pro. Here's how you get unstuck:

On a hill/incline - Get off your sled and stand on the side you will roll it toward. Start your sled, pin the throttle and pull on the bars. The spinning track will dig itself out and allow the sled to be easily rolled on its side. Once on its side, turn your sled off and simply finish the roll to roll it out of the hole.

In the flats - Get off your sled and start it up. Now pin the throttle and shake the bars until it climbs out of the hole. Don't be shy about giving it throttle. Hold it wide open and it'll pop right out every time. If your sled doesn't move, you're either not shaking enough or not pinning it. Sometimes, if you're not too stuck, or the snow isn't deep, you can stay on the sled and pin and shake.

These methods are super easy, once you get the hang of them. No jack necessary. Never need to shovel.

Great tips, and spot on.
Just make sure to be VERY careful of the track spinning if you are not ON the sled. That thing can suck you up into the tunnel in a heartbeat.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I carried a jack with me from 2006-2011..... on Apex's :)

They are a great tool, and allow you to get out on your own, with out much effort. I mounted mine up higher on the side of the tunnel, basically as high as I could get it and still keep it tight to the side of the tunnel. It didnt effect my footing at all.

I used it several times for getting out of some nasty spots, not just when the sled is trenched in and stuck. The strap allows you to lift on just about any parts of the sled. Like if its on its side in a tree well, you can jack from the tree to steering post.

Havent carried it on a sled in 6 years, but still have it and use it from time to time for odd ball stuff. Eric

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
One of my riding buds has the earlier powderjack, the cable version, since early 2000's. Same function. Here's where it comes in handy - when you screw up around tree holes, creek bottoms, and the like, with only two guys in the "group". Bigger crews, not necessary (if you can get their attention). Stay out of the stupid places, not necessary. There are a few places where even two experienced backcountry, fit guys can get jammed, at least for awhile. Could also save some wear and tear on the body, or you're an old guy, or you have some injury, or you're riding with women or kids. FWIW.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
There should be no need for a powder jack on an axys. even with elevation kicking your butt, with a little attention to how you stick the sled in, 1 person recoveries are SUPER easy. The sled is light and easy to roll over and you want to ALWAYS use that to your advantage.

I get it, **** happens and sometimes you just run out of line and dumb things happen. BUT for the most part, we know when we are going to get stuck. When your WOT up the bottom of a ravine and your loosing speed, sidehilling and digging in and slowing down fast... etc. we KNOW a line isn't going to pan out.

Like it was described above, using the throttle to spin the track and being a roll so it cuts itself out of a trench. Often You can do this as your line runs out. if you are just about to get stuck, start leaning the sled and hold it pinned to help prevent the sled from digging straight down. If the sled is mostly just flopped on its side when your stuck, a little pulling on ski and tunnel allows you to surf it around on the sidepanel and get pointed downhill.

If you get stuck on the flats, pack out some in front of the sled and also ensuring to pack down the giant ball of snow in front of the drivers. If you do this, a little ski tug almost always walks them out, add some pin and wiggle and the AXYS really doesn't get stuck.

Biggest thing is just avoiding the move of pointed straight uphill WOT until you aren't moving. If you can avoid wedging yourself in like that, the sled pretty much rolls out of any scenario. I often roll my sled on flat ground if I get stuck.

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
Rode two weeks in Colorado and never touched my shovel 4 days in Pittsburg New Hampshire and was shoveling constantly too many trees for the usual methods.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
A few years ago I started riding with a new friend that had one and saw how handy it was so I bought a used one. Never got it mounted on any of my last 3 sleds. It's been sitting in the shop for 2 1/2 seasons, realized I didn't need it, one of my other buddies is gonna buy it from me.

Premium Features