• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain cat shock pressures?

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
There should be a few mountain cats out there. What is everyone running for air and clicker setings.

Snow Fever

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
BC
153" sled, 200Lbs rider geared up

Front Left - 55
Front Right - 50 (Have a can on it)
Front Skid - 60
Rear Skid - 125

All clickers on soft setting

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
After few sleds with Float shocks, i have few tips. Always take off weight on suspension. You need to put a bit more pressure because when you will unscrew the air pump, a bit pressure will get out. I always does a double check to have a right pressure and take the pressure OUTSIDE, in your riding temperature.

After this lesson, I'm 180lbs geared up with my backpack and i have a 18' MC 153''. I run at softest mode (1) on snow, and depending of trail i turn up the QS3 clickers

On flat trail, FSS 2, FTS and RTS 1 (less sway on front end)
On small bumpy trail : FSS = 2, FTS =2, RTS = 1
On bumpy trail : FSS and FTS = 3, RTS = 2

FSS : 65psi
FTS : 55psi
RTS : 125psi

I had a 16' LTD 162 3'' before this and i don't have any regret, I only notice that a 153 is more sensitive to lower pressure on RTS.

Last edited:

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Thanks Guys
Cat recommends way higher pressures than that. I have not tried it yet but other riders said rear was stiff, I think 180lb was in manual

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Thanks Guys
Cat recommends way higher pressures than that. I have not tried it yet but other riders said rear was stiff, I think 180lb was in manual
most cat guys do ride with higher pressures, but most of them do the hill climb thing where you need a stiffer psi.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
After few sleds with Float shocks, i have few tips. Always take off weight on suspension. You need to put a bit more pressure because when you will unscrew the air pump, a bit pressure will get out. I always does a double check to have a right pressure and take the pressure OUTSIDE, in your riding temperature.

After this lesson, I'm 180lbs geared up with my backpack and i have a 18' MC 153''. I run at softest mode (1) on snow, and depending of trail i turn up the QS3 clickers

On flat trail, FSS 2, FTS and RTS 1 (less sway on front end)
On small bumpy trail : FSS = 2, FTS =2, RTS = 1
On bumpy trail : FSS and FTS = 3, RTS = 2

FSS : 65psi
FTS : 55psi
RTS : 125psi

I had a 16' LTD 162 3'' before this and i don't have any regret, I only notice that a 153 is more sensitive to lower pressure on RTS.

The pumps are designed to disengage the core of the shrader valve before the seal is broken between the pump and the shock (notice how the last few threads are harder to turn when you put the pump on). So any pressure loss you hear when taking the pump off is just what is lost out of the hose. Any drop you see when re-attaching the pump is pressure from the shock re-filling the volume of the hose, so you will always see a little loss when checking pressure under the same conditions.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Thanks Guys

Maybe in the evol chamber? Basically go as soft as you can without out of control trenching/ski lift.

Premium Features