• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Please Help! Replaced RH clyinder and piston twice!!

Z
Dec 15, 2016
Alright fellas, i know the 05 900 is bad news but I bought one super cheap from a friend (i couldn't pass up the offer $1800). It was bone stock with only the factory updates had about 2200k and in perfect condition plus he just put a brand new 3.25 track on it. F***er ran great but as i build engines for a living I figured what the heck, ill toss some money at it before its to late. I got some new 05 cylinders as all the crank specs were good. I also put the stronger steel exhaust valves in. Thing ran great, it had hours of easy riding on it (8hr never more then 3/4 throttle). The first time i opened it up completely she connected with either the exhaust valve or one of the rings got caught in one of the ports as the cylinder and piston were mangled. So once i checked out the rod bearings and didnt find anything else wrong, well i bought a new cylinder for the one side an piston mind you these are wiseco pistons and cylinders are expesive as ****. After the second build she ran great, all winter pretty much.... Last ride i figured i would put her to the test as it had plenty of hours and lots of WOT under her belt. Well i was playing around a seriously sleep hill and something didnt feel right with the motor however i was at the point of no return so i had to commit to the last 20ft under heavy throttle. She will still fire up but it appears the damn exhaust valve connected with the piston again! I bought the better valve to prevent this from happening. What are your thoughts? How is it even possible for Them to come into contact. Maybe i dont understand the system propery. Anyway Someone anyone please help.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Exhaust valves Hitting the Piston

This can be caused by either to strong or weak of springs in the VES valve assemblies.

They will HAMMER instead of opening and closing smooth, beating out the seat in the Jug.

Possibly the Solenoid that opens them, or a vacum leak in the hoses.

Most of us eliminate the solenoid ( must still have electrical connection for ECU ) just route vacum.

Inspect the Cylinder Jugs if the seat for the VES valve is hammerd out it needs to be fixed or possibly trim the gullitine.

Premium Features