• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI 850 Turbo: First Ride Impressions

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
clutching

I like the ski doo green in the secondary.

Did you grab some ZRP weights or the 968's from shover? Curious what you end up liking/disliking

Running 154 3" at 5psi. fully stock clutching except the ZRP weights loaded to 98g mostly on the tip. RPM is 8k steadily and upshift patterns are good from a dead stop but punch it at speed and VERY slow upshift. Going to try going to a different secondary spring next and see if we cant make it backshift a little better.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Did you grab some ZRP weights or the 968's from shover? Curious what you end up liking/disliking

Running 154 3" at 5psi. fully stock clutching except the ZRP weights loaded to 98g mostly on the tip. RPM is 8k steadily and upshift patterns are good from a dead stop but punch it at speed and VERY slow upshift. Going to try going to a different secondary spring next and see if we cant make it backshift a little better.

Is the 154 a little out of hand with mpi? I have a 165 but the 154 is way more fun. Debating whether to snow check a 154 or just boost my 165.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Is the 154 a little out of hand with mpi? I have a 165 but the 154 is way more fun. Debating whether to snow check a 154 or just boost my 165.
Its wild even in crusty spinning snow. Its going to be very wild if we can get it out in some deeper powder. Honestly I think the 154 sleds are going to need a different skid setup to help control transfer some if you have an ambitions of not just flipping over. I would like to try a few things before the season is gone but we'll see how far we get. Zbroz torsion spring delete setup in the rear should allow a little better weight transfer control, as well as possibly some IceAge rails to eliminate the kicked up rear section in the OEM ones. Basically anything besides bringing the limiter strap up because I really dont like how this sled feels with more ski pressure for performance when your not in a wheelie.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I like the ski doo green in the secondary.
I was debating between throwing a green and a black in. Looks like ill give the green a shot first!

Also, so you guys know, The ZRP weights eliminate the clicker feature and basically turn this clutch into a P85. Which I like, something that actually makes sense to me! lol.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Chris

you should really call me...

SHR has 3 levels of clutching/fueling/gearing/chassis set ups for the MPI850 kit and honestly we have the most experience in tuning the pdrive/qrs (we have clutch kits for stock, SHR180 850, SHR921, MPI, turbo boyz, impulse and soon for silber turbo kits) using mostly stock doo componants or SHR custom adjustable weights (made in the USA and adjustable IN the sled) after a full season on the MPI850 SHR has the experience to help-BJ

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,

Curious how the turbo G4 is running now.. Did you add a splash of race gas?

I've been hearing that the MPI G4 kits have been running well... with just clutching tweaks.

I have run out of winter Eric.
Sadly I am now into Boy Scout season and my weekends are filled those activities. It got warm, and all the easily accessible snow melted and most of my riding buddies hung up their sled gear for the season.

It always amazes me how quickly so many people in this valley bag it as soon as the temps start climbing and the grass turns green.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris

you should really call me...

SHR has 3 levels of clutching/fueling/gearing/chassis set ups for the MPI850 kit and honestly we have the most experience in tuning the pdrive/qrs (we have clutch kits for stock, SHR180 850, SHR921, MPI, turbo boyz, impulse and soon for silber turbo kits) using mostly stock doo componants or SHR custom adjustable weights (made in the USA and adjustable IN the sled) after a full season on the MPI850 SHR has the experience to help-BJ

Many Thanks my friend.
May just take you up on that.

I have been kinda quiet on the MPI front as I am awaiting them making a rather major announcement to the sledding community.

Big News is coming..:face-icon-small-hap

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I would if I had the $$$ but gotta get the 850 first.

You think lots are favoring Silber due to the stock computer usage? Hate to bring it up but I'm really curious what and if there is at all any hesitation from a stop to full throttle on the MPI

I know whatever kit you had on the 800etec there was always a small stumble from a dead stop. It wasn't a lag, it was like a hiccup

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Fall??? I installed mine in spring just never found time to get up to the mountain and try it before the snow melted!

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
I'm wanting to pull the trigger, but i want to ride stock first. Only in my 5th year of riding, still have a lot to learn. I must say it was tough keeping up with my buddies on turbos this year.... seems like everyone has them

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Many Thanks my friend.
May just take you up on that.

I have been kinda quiet on the MPI front as I am awaiting them making a rather major announcement to the sledding community.

Big News is coming..:face-icon-small-hap

Did you get to ride it at all with the weights you got from MPI?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Did you get to ride it at all with the weights you got from MPI?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No Sir, I did not.
Got the weights and my son decided to sell his sled to do persistent back issues. So far as I can tell, he is now out of the game and won't be able to ride any more

Its quite possible that I will install another MPI kit this Fall though.
I have a new 2018 Snowchecked and am toying with picking up a 3rd so I have a backup sled once again.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I have a turbo performance kit on order. As far as the silber kits go I'm a bit skeptical of the ecu flash until they hit the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X
Oct 8, 2009
These new doos seem exciting. Sorry to hear about your son's back issues...they can be debilitating.

I am responding to address the fuel issues everyone was debating. Octane will not cause problems with the AFR sensor. Octane simply makes it more difficult to burn fuel, which controls detonation. But, everyone is correct to be concerned about av gas and race fuel. All fuels use to be leaded until the government mandated better emission requirements that eliminated lead from pump fuels. In old motors, lead provides lubrication to critical engine parts. Today, engines and their electronics are designed to run unleaded fuel. However, race and avgas are not held to the same regulations as pump gas. Therefore, they were never required to be unleaded.

It is lead that destroys AFR sensors (mountainhorse was spot on).The higher the concentration of race or av gas that is put throw a motor the faster an AFR sensor will start to have problems. Lead coats the sensor and cannot be readily removed from the sensor without ruining the calibration. Lead acts somewhat as an insulator. Therefore, it is best, in my opinion, to run race/pump fuel mix. This ensures the lowest content of lead per gallon for your required octane. There are also supplements that can be used to remove lead. To me, that is a pain. Just know that AFR sensors need to be maintained and replaced at some point if either of these fuels are used. Personally, I change them once a season as a wear item using 50/50 mix. That seems to be trouble free for me.

I am excited to see one of these 850 175 sleds with a turbo.

Last edited:
Premium Features