• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anybody use dielectric grease on spark plugs??

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Just curious if anyone has input on this and if its a good idea or not?? I used to use it but it seems like there is a bunch of black powder residue left inside the plug boot and on the plug after awhile. Should I just leave them dry??

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Di-electric grease is Non-Conductive, therefore an Insulator!

As the title states; Di-electric grease is Non-Conductive, therefore an Insulator! It should only be used on the porcelain to boot portion. To help limit electrical leakage and carbon arcing. FWIW

DO NOT use on the conductive metal to metal portion!

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
As the title states; Di-electric grease is Non-Conductive, therefore an Insulator! It should only be used on the porcelain to boot portion. To help limit electrical leakage and carbon arcing. FWIW

DO NOT use on the conductive metal to metal portion!
^^^ This is good information, that I didn't know for years. If you research dielectric grease you will quickly learn that it is non-conductive and too much can actually cause problems.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Dow Corning 4

Been using this stuff for years. Electrical Insulating compound, check out the tech sheet on their website. Even mentions spark plug connections. Never ever an issue. Go pull a connector off a newer auto headlamp and what's all over the pins? Yup, dielectric grease. Works good.

Premium Features