• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the SKS 146 Right For Me?

S
Sep 22, 2018
Hey,

I am in the process of buying a new sled and am weighing all my options. I'm not a very experienced sledder, but it's my favorite thing to do-- I love the deep powder!

I am pretty much a 50/50 rider, but I give it 100% off trail and pretty much 30% on trail (if that makes any sense). I ride ditches or trails to get to the hills of Saskatchewan where I love to play and hit snow drifts and some small jumps.

I don't do any serious trail riding, I don't go fast or hit corners at high speeds, I simply ride a straight line to get to my backcountry. I normally don't ride in snow deeper than two feet, but sometimes I find some nice spots.

The only time I like riding my sled is in deep snow, so I didn't really think the SBA was the best choice for me. I don't really care if the sled doesn't handle great on trails, as long as it CAN ride the trails, it's fine with me.

I also might be moving to a place with deeper snow in the future, so I don't want to have to sell my sled while my buddies are having the time of their lives in the deep powder.

Is the SKS 146 right for me? Any other sled suggestions?

Thanks guys.

S
Sep 22, 2018
155" ride it like ya own it

Wow. Really? A 155'? I'm surprised by your suggestion. Saskatchewan doesn't get great snowfalls (2 feet on best days and then good drifts/spots but that's about it) and I still ride half the time on the trail.

I'm open to a 155" but I don't see why I a 146" wouldn't be better for me.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
140ish Tracks

I'm a Cat guy in Montana, but the 141-146 track sleds are a blast until the snow gets 3 feet plus. I still own & ride a 141x2.25 tracked 800 Cat in the early & late season, leaving my mountain sled in the trailer. The SBA & SKS differ in front end widths; take your choice. I would strongly suggest that you look at Polaris's 850 models as the 800 Cleanfires have documented reliability issues. my $.02

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hey,

I am in the process of buying a new sled and am weighing all my options. I'm not a very experienced sledder, but it's my favorite thing to do-- I love the deep powder!

I am pretty much a 50/50 rider, but I give it 100% off trail and pretty much 30% on trail (if that makes any sense). I ride ditches or trails to get to the hills of Saskatchewan where I love to play and hit snow drifts and some small jumps.

I don't do any serious trail riding, I don't go fast or hit corners at high speeds, I simply ride a straight line to get to my backcountry. I normally don't ride in snow deeper than two feet, but sometimes I find some nice spots.

The only time I like riding my sled is in deep snow, so I didn't really think the SBA was the best choice for me. I don't really care if the sled doesn't handle great on trails, as long as it CAN ride the trails, it's fine with me.

I also might be moving to a place with deeper snow in the future, so I don't want to have to sell my sled while my buddies are having the time of their lives in the deep powder.

Is the SKS 146 right for me? Any other sled suggestions?

Thanks guys.

The SKS is basically a slightly more off-trail / mountainy version of the SBA, at least looking at all the specs on their website. The track has 2.25" lugs as opposed to 2" (or less depending on what track you get with your SBA) and it appears to me its the same front end thats on the RMK.

So I'd say if you want something a bit more trail oriented, go with the SBA, if you want something more mountain-oriented, go with the SKS ....

edit:

Whats really weird to me about the SKS sleds - The SKS 146 will behave very differently than the SKS 155. The SKS 155 is, at least as far as I can tell, an RMK that you can get the older 2.25" Series V track on .... They list it as coming with the 2.6" Series VI as well so really I can't tell what the difference is between an RMK 155 and an SKS 155 is .... maybe narrower running boards on the RMK? Idk they look like they're basically the same sled to me.

Last edited:
Premium Features