• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sobering thoughts

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
The only mixed drink l cared for, except for the “high maintenance” of making them, UNTIL l solved that problem...pre-mix all the alcohol “parts” into an empty bottle to make the solution. (Glass + Ice + Solution + Sweet/Sour + Cola + Lemon)
I do the same, some take more effort.
Apple Tini, shaken not stirred.

apple tini.jpg

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Nearly 11am. Not much action on snowest this morning.

Hows that nasty sweet junki tini and LIT’s treating y’all?

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Nearly 11am. Not much action on snowest this morning.

Hows that nasty sweet junki tini and LIT’s treating y’all?
As far as the sweet tini, 1 is plenty.
LIT's, I can handle more of those.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I am not making light of your situation. Just throwing a little humor in this crazy world.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.
W.C. Fields.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
picture.php

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
It's taken nearly 53 years, but I'm seeing drinking in a different light.
This week we buried a 44 year old friend.
His liver quit doing what it needs to do.
He left behind a wife, 4 children, brothers and parents.

I went through the same thing with my father 22 years ago. He died of alcohol induced liver failure at the age of 57. It is humbling he left this world at an age only a year older than I am now. Sad he missed many life happenings. He is the one who got me hooked on snowmobiling after trading a pickup motor for a 69 Boa Ski.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
It's taken nearly 53 years, but I'm seeing drinking in a different light.

This week we buried a 44 year old friend.

His liver quit doing what it needs to do.

He left behind a wife, 4 children, brothers and parents.

I went through the same thing with my father 22 years ago. He died of alcohol induced liver failure at the age of 57. It is humbling he left this world at an age only a year older than I am now. Sad he missed many life happenings. He is the one who got me hooked on snowmobiling after trading a pickup motor for a 69 Boa Ski.

Known alcoholic? More details could help someone make a change.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Known alcoholic? More details could help someone make a change.

Looking back now as an adult yes my father was an alcoholic. However growing up and seeing it on a day to day basis it was not as noticeable. Looking back I would call my father a highly functioning alcoholic. I never recall him being a slobbering falling down drunk. He never was abusive and was until the later years was a successful small business man. Alcohol was always a part of his daily life. His drink of choice was Canadian whisky and ginger ale. He probably drank every day of his life since his 20's both at home and at social events. Any time we travelled he would be having a drink while driving. We had a Ford pickup with a overhead camper we would go on camping and fishing trips. The pickup had an add on AC under the dash. One of the vents was missing and he would use it to hold his drink cup and the AC would keep his drink cold. As a kid this was so normal and I never thought anything of it until I was married and on my own.
As an adult I started to figure out his drinking was not normal. I once was working checking snowmobiles by patrol pickup in his area and decided to pick him up to ride along. We stopped to check some sleds at some local drag races. We stopped to watch for awhile. My father brought along a small cooler which I though was lunch for the afternoon. He proceeded to pull out a cold beer from the cooler and cracked it open in my patrol vehicle. I was furious and this was the first incident that was noticeable to me where his drinking could have had serious impact on life.
My father was a smoker and had the usual smokers cough but the first sign I noticed he was having alcohol related health issues was when his skin tone started turning a gray color. I drove 800 miles round trip in 1 day just to try to talk him into getting help for his drinking. He tried to make me believe that he had quit drinking. No one I knew claimed to see him drink between that time and when he passed away but I doubt he was able to quit cold turkey. After his skin started to turn grey I noticed he was getting weaker and was walking more and more like an unsteady elderly person. His skin tone soon turned a jaundice yellow color. The time we first noticed the gray skin color to when he passed away was around 6 months. My father was hospitalized for a week before he passed. He appeared to be getting better until the last 2 days and he went down hill fast. I was in the room when he died. I watched the heart monitor steadily get slower and slower until the beat stopped and the line went flat. He then suddenly sat up in the bed with eyes wide open and gave me this horrifying stare before lying back down and all movement stopped. I physically closed his eyelids before leaving the room.
My advise would be if you have family or friends who drink multiple drinks on a daily basis or has the ability to still function after drinking amounts that would cause the rest of us to be out for the count they probably need help for their drinking. Based on my experience after the skin color changes it may be too late.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The story gets sadder for this family.
Yesterday, one of his brothers crashed his plane and did not survive.:brokenheart:

The remaining brother lost his 42 year old brother in law over the weekend. Unbelievable.
Please take a moment and pray for the families.

Premium Features