• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hose failure alert! (Coolant-hose/recoil-bolt)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Pgritton

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2009
Soda Springs
www.pgoutdoors.com
Apologize if this has been brought up before but noticed this problem on a recent ride. I stopped my 16 Axys and popped off the right side panel to look things over. Noticed black "dust" near a bolt on the recoil starter housing. Closer inspection revealed a coolant hose was riding on the bolt head and was wearing a hole in the hose. Left as is, I suspect the hole would be all the way through the hose in 2-3 more rides. The hose has no protection from the vibration/movement of the bolt head as the engine moves causing the constant focused rub point. Checked a friends new Axys and bingo, same thing happening. Heads up, don't want ruined rides due to a coolant leak! Approaching 400 miles on my sled and I estimated the depth of the rub hole to an 1/8 inch deep. Will be contacting dealer tomorrow. Problem spot is hard to see with the sled's kidney in place, suggest removing it to inspect.

Hose1.jpg Hose2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I posted the same thing a couple months ago. Everyone I have seen is rubbing in the same spot. I zip tied mine back away from that bolt. Eric

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Thanks for the heads up!

Mine wasn't rubbing yet but I can see that as the factory rubber bumper wears, or when the hose heats and relaxes it will move away from the engine and closer to the bolt that is causing the problem.

My sled has a starter so it is a tight path between. I zip tied the hose to keep it from falling towards the outside, as shown in this pic. Gives good clearance and is stable.

image.jpg

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I saw this piss poor design when I was looking over my new Axys as well...

I've zip tied the line back towards the motor as well to prevent rubbing.

Dec 24, 2008
hose

Apologize if this has been brought up before but noticed this problem on a recent ride. I stopped my 16 Axys and popped off the right side panel to look things over. Noticed black "dust" near a bolt on the recoil starter housing. Closer inspection revealed a coolant hose was riding on the bolt head and was wearing a hole in the hose. Left as is, I suspect the hole would be all the way through the hose in 2-3 more rides. The hose has no protection from the vibration/movement of the bolt head as the engine moves causing the constant focused rub point. Checked a friends new Axys and bingo, same thing happening. Heads up, don't want ruined rides due to a coolant leak! Approaching 400 miles on my sled and I estimated the depth of the rub hole to an 1/8 inch deep. Will be contacting dealer tomorrow. Problem spot is hard to see with the sled's kidney in place, suggest removing it to inspect.
Yeap, fixed now. Thanks for the info

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Coolant hose wearing through on recoil bolt

Buddy, went in with his 163 x 3" model and dealer found the hose almost wore right through. I checked my 163 x 2.6" model and same thing.

I won't bother posting a picture because you can't see the damage in the photo but just follow the aluminum tube down from the coolant tank past the recoil. Just after the clamp, the hose is damaged from the recoil bolt.

Check yours and wire tie that hose up so it can't rub through.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Mine was the same way, wore through probably half way, zip tied it to the small hose behind it just above the clamp.

Hopefully they come out with a bulletin because losing coolant way in the back country is going to be catastrophic

J
Dec 17, 2010
Newfoundland
Thanks for the heads up!

Mine wasn't rubbing yet but I can see that as the factory rubber bumper wears, or when the hose heats and relaxes it will move away from the engine and closer to the bolt that is causing the problem.

My sled has a starter so it is a tight path between. I zip tied the hose to keep it from falling towards the outside, as shown in this pic. Gives good clearance and is stable.

Exact same thing I did to mine before I had anymore then 1.6km on it from loading and unloading it, just loosened that bracket a bit and slid a heavy duty zip tie on there and its golden now no movement at all in either direction and the small bracket is pretty much bone solid. Looks nicer this way and less awkward to imo if you're ocd like me rather then tieing it to the front post or on the rubber hose itself and possibly kinking/damaging that small line.

P

Peterbilt359

Sep 21, 2009
West
Same on mine, submitted warranty claim to Polaris, sending me a new hose... Hopefully enough people notify Polaris so that someone isnt SOL on the hill

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
I checked mine and had lots of clearance. Strange. Maybe all you guys just got Friday afternoon specials.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Seems like it makes a difference if you have electric start or not. Manual = rub, Electric start = ok. Eric

KStrand

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2010
MN
^^^yep. Mine is non-electric start and was rubbing. Checked a buddy of mine sled with electric start and plenty of space between.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
Mine is electric start and has no rubbing issues on the hose mentioned. However it did have rubbing issues on the small (overflow?) hose that comes out of the top of the coolant bottle. Followed that hose down to where it meets the aluminum bar toward the rear near the recoil and it was wearing on that. I ziptied it out of the way.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Sounds pretty random to me... Worth a look for sure. Losing the coolant would be bad.

Mine is pull start, lots of room between the hose and bolt, no rubbing that I can see after 500+ miles.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Mine was rubbing. 50 miles and it was worn to the white cords inside.

No e-start.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Premium Features