For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: AXYS 2016 AXYS chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Currently: Merry Christmas!
Prayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond repute
Default PrayN4snow's Stage build/tuning the AXYS RMK 800

I'm going to document the stage building my personal 2016 AXYS 800 RMK. During this build Ill try to show the good, bad and ugly.
Note: not everyone can afford or needs a turbo or big bore kit. This build is based on the "Average mans budget and skill level". There are many good manufacturers out there (and I've used many) of performance aftermarket parts so please no bashing one over the others, if you like different products start your own build. I chose Bikeman this time for several reasons. #1: I now live in upper Michigan and Bikeman is one of the closest to me at six hours away. #2: They have a reputation for reliable performance parts from long hours of dyno & on-snow research and engineering. #3: They have enough stages to fit mine & most people's needs. I'm going to start out with stage 1 being a baseline (stock) dyno test then installing a Bikeman ceramic coated performance pipe and muffler. I'll be documenting the installation, fit and finish along with real world bang for your buck dyno results of power gains. Also if there are any possible "notable " side effects that Ive had in the past with other companies such as good or bad exhaust temps, plug readings, piston wash, melted plastic panels, real world weights etc. "Starting with" the pipe and can shown here: http://bikemanperformance.com/bmp-ax...ance-pipe.html

As you can see I'm expecting to lose some weight and gain some horsepower & torque.

The next stages as my budget allows I will install Bikeman's reliability kit (piston, shims and gaskets) http://bikemanperformance.com/bmp-80...ility-kit.html Bikeman's performance billet head, and Bikeman's custom tuned Bully Dog controller http://bikemanperformance.com/snowmo...-axys-800.html Down the road maybe they'll have a big bore kit that I can't live without. For now this is the plan, and Id like to complete everything in the next month weather & wallet permitting (Dyno time & traveling).

You might be asking Who am I and why am I doing this?
1st, I'm not paid by Bikeman or have any friends or family that work there (or any another aftermarket companys). Right now they know I'm going to buy some parts and know Im going to write up my every experience (remember the good,bad & ugly). Personally I've been riding every year since 1972 (yes started on Kitty Cat), except for some years in the Gulf war. My Dad rode, built & raced snowmobiles and hot rods (until he passed) and I followed ever since. I used to race some and Im retired military (20 years). Yes, some that know me know I got hurt bad while in, and the VA considers me a disabled Vet, however I do not and Praise God I can still walk, ride and enjoy life unlike my doctors predicted. (my surgeons joke I put their kids through college) I'm now limited in what I can do physically, and monetarily living on my retirement. This is all more than I wanted to share, but this is purposely trying to be an honest thread for us "average Joes".
My riding style is total back country exploring (see "My Favorite Alaska riding areas" in the Alaska section), boon docking and tree hustling. I love climbing and used to live for high marking, but lost to many friends and close calls myself.

Back to the build:
I also wanted to do a port and polish on my cylinder heads cylinder heads but Bikeman talked me out of it, as there wasn't enough performance to warrant spending the extra $275 per cylinder. Many performance companies would have gladly taken my money for this service, however I appreciate Bikeman's honesty and this was the start of building my trust on this build and why I chose them.
The "Good"- they didn't take my money for nothing.
The "Bad" is we as consumers often think we "know"what we want without doing the research. The "Ugly" is I've dealt with other companies that would taken my hard earned money and run while knowing there were no strong performance return for investment.
Note: On other motors I've had fair to huge gains with "good" porting, Ive also had shops ruin cylinders that cost me riding time. No performance is worth missing a blue bird day (or week) and a fresh dump of powder in my book, reliability is key IMO.

I have other plans as well for this sled, I need to update clutching, possibly testing some other belts, suspension and front and rear bumpers, duraflex ice scratchers, ballistic pull start rope etc.
When I raced, I wanted the lightest and fastest everything I could get. Now, after multiple back surgeries, 6 shoulder surgeries, hands & knees surgeries, steel taken out of my eye and a head injury I need the sled to "work", and not "overwork" me. At @50 years old, I can still go most anywhere, and try to do all-most anything guys half my age can. Im not dropping huge cliffs or snow cross racing but I try to push past my limits and encourage some of my riding partners to push their limits each time we ride.
Thats who I am, thats what I'm doing hopefully in this build. If you care to see me succeed or fail stay tuned. Note: please be patient, some parts are not readily available yet, I will build as they come available and weather turns cold enough to Dyno. Thanks.
PrayN4snow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4069.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	256045  
2007 Holy Grail Duramax, 2 stage NOS
Legend Battle station trailer
ProCharged 1970 corvette 383 sleeper

Last edited by Prayn4snow; 09-29-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

8 out of 8 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Prayn4snow For This Useful Post:
06redrevx (09-09-2015), 2XM3 (09-09-2015), AKFULLTHROTTLE (09-09-2015), Bossman (09-16-2015), bradburck (09-09-2015), chralle (04-04-2016), CROW (09-09-2015), Einar74 (09-09-2015), joey@bmp (11-23-2015), moex (09-09-2015), mountainhorse (09-08-2015), NorthMNSledder (09-09-2015), Norway (10-03-2015), Reg2view (09-10-2015), Remmy (12-16-2015), Sage Crusher (09-09-2015), Scott (10-15-2015), Sledcrazy2014 (01-17-2016), sleddinsnopro1000 (10-30-2015), steepndeep800 (09-09-2015), sumtinwong (10-15-2016), The450kid (10-24-2015), yooper 8 (01-22-2016), YOOPERREV (12-09-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
plugitin is an unknown quantity at this point

robert in tree2
When he says riding past his riding partners limits, he's not joking. I mean, look at how the top ski is on one side of the tree, and the bottom ski is on the other. That takes skill... You guys should of seen the dismount!

But, on a serious note...PrayN4Snow is a very good guy and I am excited to see what he does with his new sled. I'm also excited to hop on this thing when he's not looking and taking it for a spin. I am very sure all of his reviews and thoughts of products will be down to earth and honest as he is no newcomer to the game of snowmobiling.

Edit: I'm impressed that Bikeman talked you out of porting this thing, that says a lot about a company IMO. I've had a few very positive dealings with them, and I would not hesitate to call them up for assistance or advice in the future!

Last edited by plugitin; 09-08-2015 at 11:19 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to plugitin For This Useful Post:
Prayn4snow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:34 AM
Currently: Tic Tock Tic Tock... Waiting for snow
Basic Member
Top has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond reputeTop has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your service!

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to Top For This Useful Post:
Prayn4snow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Currently: The person Elky looks up too.
Thanked 3,844 Times in 2,158 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an interesting build! Always nice to see these types of threads.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
Prayn4snow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Currently: Power Clawing the Axys....
Sage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond repute

Great introduction for what your planning to do and taking the time to keep us all informed of the results-

Us in the 50 + age group gotta stick together-and make improvements for the sport we have loved for so many years-

S/C

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sage Crusher For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (09-09-2015), Prayn4snow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Prayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond reputePrayn4snow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugitin View Post
When he says riding past his riding partners limits, he's not joking. I mean, look at how the top ski is on one side of the tree, and the bottom ski is on the other. That takes skill... You guys should of seen the dismount!

But, on a serious note...PrayN4Snow is a very good guy and I am excited to see what he does with his new sled. I'm also excited to hop on this thing when he's not looking and taking it for a spin. I am very sure all of his reviews and thoughts of products will be down to earth and honest as he is no newcomer to the game of snowmobiling.

Edit: I'm impressed that Bikeman talked you out of porting this thing, that says a lot about a company IMO. I've had a few very positive dealings with them, and I would not hesitate to call them up for assistance or advice in the future!
Haha, thanks John. See, times have changed and nothing is sacred anymore with the internet. Not even your worst stuck pics. The stump I side hilled into above that tree faired better than I did lol.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Currently: I know, let's have a spelling contest
Thanked 1,506 Times in 853 Posts
AndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really curious if the BullyDog is needed and how valuable it is. It's a costly piece of the puzzle. I've been told that they don't really provide much detail in terms of interacting with the Polaris motor. I had one on my Silber and they are nearly impossible to see while riding. I do like that you don't need them once you have loaded your map. It looks like that link Prayn4snow provided does not include the BullyDog.

EDIT: I did find the link for the BD on the BMP website. $700! plus you need to pay another $50 for a tune. HERE is the link.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM

I have the same curiosity on the tuner. Ill know 1st hand if it adds enough benefit for the money. Here are a couple reasons Im going to try it. 1st is the added power if its as claimed. 2nd. The new oil pump can't be manually turned up! You have to have a controller to add more oil and this tune has it! 3rd its the only way to adjust stock fuel curves and RPM limits. For example if the stock motor peaks at 8150 and the mods peak at 8350 your not getting the added power you paid for because the computer stopped you from going past that point. These are good questions and the only way I (we) will find out is someone doing a documented build. Please keep in mind these are only going to be my humble opinion based on my experience of each stage and outcome. Im not a P.H.d in mechanics and computers, I'm only a fellow knuckle dragger wrench bender like many of you.
On a side note. Ive had 5 different controllers on my Duramax. Some worked good, some great and some too good for my use. For example Im running the Banks 6 gun now, its a great controller for most people but it has to much protection and doesn't like all the power I'm making with the 2 stage NOS. It thinks its trying to protect a stock transmission that has been replaced with a sun coast stage 5, so it has to go. Please lets not get side tracked about Diesels Im just using an example.

Last edited by Prayn4snow; 09-29-2015 at 09:44 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to Prayn4snow For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Currently: I know, let's have a spelling contest
Thanked 1,506 Times in 853 Posts
AndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond repute

#2 reason is a good one! I didn't know that. I don't think you are going to get to make modifications to the BD unless you buy that piece that allows it. In my experience, you get the BD controller and whatever map you buy from the vendor (BMP in this case). But I'll wait and see what your experience is.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrettiDog View Post
#2 reason is a good one! I didn't know that. I don't think you are going to get to make modifications to the BD unless you buy that piece that allows it. In my experience, you get the BD controller and whatever map you buy from the vendor (BMP in this case). But I'll wait and see what your experience is.
Your right. Thats where the extra $50 fee is for the stage you want. Your basically paying for all the research and development the Dyno guys come up with. Let me tell you that Dyno time for cars is Not cheap. My corvette is getting a custom EFI tune because no one has put a Holley Terminator on a Procharged small block running the power I'm putting through it. That Dyno time is $400 an hour

Last edited by Prayn4snow; 09-09-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Currently: Not set.
kidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond reputekidrman has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to kidrman For This Useful Post:
Prayn4snow (09-09-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:58 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Click Here to Register

Nooby (09-16-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:31 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Click Here to Register

AKFULLTHROTTLE (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Click Here to Register

AKFULLTHROTTLE (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM

Click Here to Register