• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 axys RMK... beginning to see some details.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
ALSO NOTE:

This is just one of the models in the entire AXYS Line-up...

There is MUCH more coming on March 2...

You're all gonna be STOKED!!

For Actual Ride-Impressions of the ONE model that is out...a Base 2016 AXYS PRO RMK 155" ... see this thread...

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3790718

post-teaser-rmk-sled.png

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Rails look weak.... the 2.7 comes with the f-bomb mod. Good to see the addressed the clearance issues. Be interesting to see how it performs with the new track and 15 more hp. Ill be waiting a year to use my golden ticket...

Polaris said the rails are stronger. I can't remember the time they put into engineering them but it was a crazy amount of time to reduce weight and make them stronger.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Polaris said the rails are stronger. I can't remember the time they put into engineering them but it was a crazy amount of time to reduce weight and make them stronger.

And to add, the hifax is actually SHORTER on these new rails.
The rear axle sits about where the hifax stops. The support around the axle extends beyond the back of the hifax.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
This might be asking a lot from one ride impression....

Would you guys rate this as big a jump as the Pro was over the dragon? Or more of a refinement of the Pro? Or something in between?

Thanks for all the info sharing! Makes for good reading!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
What sleds have you tested it against? I have mine and a few other buddies have short track 800's. They are faster than all of our other buddies ski doo's and cat 800's by a few sled lengths for sure. I think you got your facts wrong on this motor!
Its a ripper witha lot mmore bottom end snap, and everyone should be excited to get one of these In there sled if they like hp!

We were riding on some trails in northern nd hard snow on trails mxz xrs 2014, zr 8000 2015 the polaris had nothing for those two sleds that weekend. I like the polaris it's what I ride but not color blind either.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Yawn....

Am I the only one that was expecting more (I think not based on all the predictions that were floating around)? I was expecting a real redesign addressing many flaws in the Pro. Instead, it looks like were getting a few updates to the existing chassis. Not saying that it's probably still the best mountain platform.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

Would you guys rate this as big a jump as the Pro was over the dragon? Or more of a refinement of the Pro? Or something in between?

As a guy who has been comfortable on the XM for several years and could not adapt well to the Pro, I found after about 3 hours on the Axys I was getting comfortable and could actually see myself riding one. I would not have even considered a "old" Pro for many reasons. I also had a Dragon that I was not impressed with. This sled was much more rider friendly and intuitive....at least for this Doo rider.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yawn....

Am I the only one that was expecting more (I think not based on all the predictions that were floating around)? I was expecting a real redesign addressing many flaws in the Pro. Instead, it looks like were getting a few updates to the existing chassis. Not saying that it's probably still the best mountain platform.

At first glance I can undeerstand your view. The seat and skis are the only parts that are the same. It handles and rides totally different and (IMO) better than the previous chassis. The flaws I have seen on the Pro were mostly addessed in the Axys. It is al ldifferent forward of the rider and a refined rear skid and new track....much more new than meets the eye.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yawn....

With all due respect, what flaws are you referring to that haven't been addressed on the existing? It would be helpful in this discussion if I knew what you are discussing.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
At first glance I can undeerstand your view. The seat and skis are the only parts that are the same. It handles and rides totally different and (IMO) better than the previous chassis. The flaws I have seen on the Pro were mostly addessed in the Axys. It is al ldifferent forward of the rider and a refined rear skid and new track....much more new than meets the eye.

It's CERTAINLY not a short track Axys with an RMK rear end mated to it.

For those who've stretched a 15 Axys into a long track mtn sled will certainly NOT have the same experience as those on the 16 will have. Not even close.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
With all due respect, what flaws are you referring to that haven't been addressed on the existing? It would be helpful in this discussion if I knew what you are discussing.

Again, I was expecting (perhaps wrongly) a complete redesign. The first eleven pages of this thread are loaded with hopes and predictions.

Much of this stated by Sledheader, but some clarification:

For starters, still raw aluminum everything. One of the biggest bitches is the amount of snow the Pro holds. More of the same, even more with raw aluminum a-arms. Still hoping for a special snow check with painted/anodized parts - but why is polaris still behind on this?

39" front end. I'd be nice to have a 36" factory option. Undoubtedly a popular modification.

2.7" track. How about a 3" option? Maybe on the snow check or available on the 163"? Let's hope they are still making a 163".

No tunnel reinforcements and weak azz bumpers. Once again plan spending $600+ on proper bumpers that can take a hit without caving and tunnel reinforcements around the bulkhead and behind the running boards.

Am I going to snow check a '16? Probably. Is this a game changing sled? I guess time will tell.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Tunnel and chassis is stronger and stiffer than it was on the pro. That was said repeatedly.

The sled is very tippy and easy to get over, I'm not sure what you get by going 36". I'd ride this sled and get some good seat time in before I decided to go 36". It moves easily already. 36" could ruin it.

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I'm a little disappointed that the tunnel is the same. My usage is a bit different, but it would be nice to not be so paranoid about my fuel cans and bag not causing my tunnel to fold. Obviously this runs counter to weight loss though, so I understand.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Tunnel and chassis is stronger and stiffer than it was on the pro. That was said repeatedly.

Great news. I didn't see that stated anywhere in their specs. Maybe I missed it. Either way, I'd like to know how they changed the tunnel/chassis in order to strengthen it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

Fair question.

I tried to come one up with some verbage to describe that difference when I was on camera in Alpine.

In the trees:
Dragon to Pro, was REALLY significant. It hink we can all agree on that.
Given that benchmark, the Pro to Axys is almost as much of an improvement. Time will tell when we get some winter conditions again.
I think scoring a deep powder day in the trees, will give us a much clearer understanding of the differences.

As you are probably sensing from everyone who's ridden it and posting here, the snow wasn't favorable to putting it through some really good paces. And beings that it was in January when we did this, we all wished for January conditions. LOL So all of this has a bit of an asterisk by it because...

*but the snow sucked.

:)

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Thanks guys for giving us some impute, and also trying to stress to people that there is MORE to come, but i think they keep missing that,:becky: Can't wait to see what else comes out, and so far love what i have seen.:present:

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I'm just glad I can see post 297! I don't think I ever have before. LOL.
Looks like a nice sled. Looking foreward to March 2 for all the scoop

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I like what they have done overall, but distain the 7 Tooth driver. I will be changing that. I'll also be adding my own belt drive and moving the brake to the driveshaft like I have done on my PRO's. I'll change out the coolers for more thermally efficient extrusions and change the tunnel out to CF skins. Overall, a good start. Kudos to Polaris, can't wait to ride it! When do they go on sale? Monday? LOL

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Those in the know, since Polaris didn't upgrade their suspension package do you have any idea on shock lengths for the '16? I'm curious if I'll be able to transfer my Raptors off of my '14 pro. Longer spindles, more clearance, maybe same shock length?

Premium Features