• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled-to-Sled Communications

M

MtnOyster

Jan 19, 2012
Northeast Nebraska
How many people use sled-to-sled communicators? My riding partners and I have been thinking about trying to find something that would work. When tree riding/boondocking, we tend to lose track of each other from time to time. We carry 2-way radios, but it would sure be nice to not have to stop to try and use the radios, plus the person you are trying to talk to would have to stop and get his radio out as well, and the chances of that happening at the same time is pretty slim.

Who makes the best communication equipment, and how does everyone like using this equipment? Is there a manufacturer that makes radios that fit inside the helmet and don't have a box on the outside of the helmet (we all wear motocross style helmets)? Don't know much about these things, but as we start going to new riding areas, it'd be nice to be able to stay grouped up a little better.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
You are already half way there

I wanted the same thing as you , for the same reasons.

I ended up using a basic 2-way Midland radio (Handheld)
I then bought an in helmet speaker, mic, PTT button. This is wired back to your radio in your jacket pocket.

Here is a nice write up of what you are looking for.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242763

The only downside is that you need to disconnect the cable from your radio when you take your helmet off. The wires are way too long, but I ended up coiling them up and zip tying them so that became a zero issue for me.......

Way cheaper than a dedicated in helmet radio, and works great.

I velcroed the push to talk button on my motocross style helmet to the front left of the helmet and carefully tucked and ran the wires for everything under the padding of the helmet.

I got this because last year my 12 year old had his first trip with us in the mountains and I wanted to correct him before he got into trouble.

I easily got 2 miles of range in the open (Which is plenty), and I got about half that when I was out of sight of my son........

Probably could have gotten alot more , but that was the furthest I was away from my son the entire week of riding.......

The first time setting it up takes about 30-45 minutes per helmet running everything and zip tying in the right places. Once you have that initial "fitting" it goes in faster when you reinstall it the next trip.......

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We have guys/gals in our group that use both. Some have the communicators, some just the 2 way hand-helds with the wire/earpiece.

I just use the 2 way with the earpiece, I put an earbud in, drop the radio in my pocket and ride. We use them when someone is separated or stopped and they come in handy. For the cost/price I don't see any reason for me to upgrade, but for some I am sure it would be worth it to have the helmet mounted radios. Make sure if you go that route to have it mounted securely, we had one get ripped off riding through some tight trees - which made for an expensive trip for that guy....

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
For years the group I ride with mainly have used the chatterbox communicators. They do mount on the outside of our motocross style helmets, we've just drilled a couple small holes for the mounting bracket to attatch to. You do have to be a little careful in the tight trees, but as long as you remember it's there :face-icon-small-con, it hasn't been an issue. They have a microphone we velcro up in the mouth area, and put a push button on the outside left front of the helmet to push to talk, and headphones that velcro inside by the ears. After a ride or two you don't even notice it's there, and being able to anytime reach up and push the button to talk sure has saved us from searching hours on end for someone who has gotten lost or stuck somewhere. IMO, well worth the coin and they'll last all day on a charge no problem.

C
Nov 29, 2008
BLAH BLAH BLAH ... reason to go sledding is to get away from people talking constantly (house with wife & three daughters) .... when we need to talk we stop.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
BLAH BLAH BLAH ... reason to go sledding is to get away from people talking constantly (house with wife & three daughters) .... when we need to talk we stop.

Yeah, well, sometimes it is a safety thing for some.........

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We have Talkabouts with FireFox throat mics and a PTT button that goes down into my glove.

Works GREAT.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Agreed.

Jeff, I sweat like a butcher when riding. Any problems with the earpieces, mic, or ptt button with moisture? I've considered this option but was worried about the stuff getting wet.

Oyster:

The speakers, mic, and PTT button were never affected by moisture.

Again the only downside, is that the cabling lengths are too long IMO..

Easy to zip tie them, but it would be better if all the leads were shorter..........

Works good.......

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
we run the collett platinums. while you cant have a lengthy discussion on world politics, you can here basic commands.... "i'm stuck behind the tree", i am ok, i need help. i gotta pee. ect.... or how about, the mountain just let loose above you, go to riders right, riders left.

they velcro on outside of helmet, worth every penny. Ski

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How many people use sled-to-sled communicators? .

We ride with radios 100% of the time.

Our helmets are hard wired for the Scala Rider G9 for SHORT RANGE close in comms. More useful then you would ever imagine..
(This is a 25mW transmitter)
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176

For general purpose comms in the group, we use the BC LINK
(This is a 1 watt transmitter)
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373513

For longer range, we will whip out the Garmin Rino
(this is a 5 watt transmitter)
By far and away the most powerful of the bunch, but the least friendly to use while riding.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/two-way-radios/rino-655t/prod82799.html

kdardis

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2010
Black Hills
We use the Chatterbox X1 Slim with Tork XPro helmet speakers. It's great to talk back and forth and the unit is Bluetooth which is perfect for music. We upgraded to the Tork XPro helmet speakers..... Wow, they are awesome!!!

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I like my Rino 650 a lot. I keep it in the front chest pocket of my vest.

I wish i could find a Push to talk shoulder mic for it.. I bought a MotoComm snowmobile headset for it but didn't like messing with all those wires everywhere, also for some reason when I plug the motocomm in the garmin randomly shuts itself off sometimes.

I used to run it on my dash/bars but found the screen is so small and covered with snow all the time anyway that its useless unless i stop anyway for GPS.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We use the Chatterbox X1 Slim with Tork XPro helmet speakers. It's great to talk back and forth and the unit is Bluetooth which is perfect for music. We upgraded to the Tork XPro helmet speakers..... Wow, they are awesome!!!

Any idea what the transmit wattage is?
I can't find it anywhere on their page.

C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
I like my Rino 650 a lot. I keep it in the front chest pocket of my vest.

I wish i could find a Push to talk shoulder mic for it.. I bought a MotoComm snowmobile headset for it but didn't like messing with all those wires everywhere, also for some reason when I plug the motocomm in the garmin randomly shuts itself off sometimes.

I used to run it on my dash/bars but found the screen is so small and covered with snow all the time anyway that its useless unless i stop anyway for GPS.

You didn't look very hard. I use one of these and they work great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-held-Shoulder-Mic-Speaker-For-Garmin-GPS-Radio-Rino-610-Rino-655-/170862749947?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Microphones&hash=item27c836a8fb

Premium Features