• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to ride a dirt bike in CO.

D
Dec 11, 2007
I have a CR250 and would like to know the best place to ride trails. I would be coming out for a week, so a larger area would be nice. If the area has a track that would be a plus. Thanks.

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
It really depends on what you like to ride? high mtns or a little bit lower.

I would suggest Rampart Range for two day of riding there. +Camping
Maybe around Idaho springs near Saint Mary's Glaicer. A good track for you would be right at the the beginning of the foot hills at C-470 and I-70.

Also maybe near Jones Pass, Winter park area, Rollins pass/Jenny creek.

Tons of roads/4wheel drive near Montezuma down the road from Keystone ski resort.

Some of the best are out by Lake City and Ouray. View wise and mountainist.

Hope this helps.

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
Co is a huge state with riding of all types in nearly every corner. Rampart is a zoo with hundreds of posers and atvs clogging the place. Unsafe at any speed.
Try checking out dirtbike sites like thumpertalk.com, StayTheTrail.com or KTMtalk.com for better info.
Woodland Park, Taylor res, Hahn's Peak, Grand Junction, all offer weeks of riding.
Enjoy

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Co is a huge state with riding of all types in nearly every corner. Rampart is a zoo with hundreds of posers and atvs clogging the place. Unsafe at any speed.

Yep, Rampart is definately NOT the place to be on weekends. Much better riding without the idiots if you're willing to drive a little further.

717 near Woodland Park is probably my favorite place to ride. Hundreds of miles of trails out there. If you're up for somethign a little more rocky (4x4 trails), there's a few places near boulder/longmont/loveland (Johnny Park, Moody, Lefthand Canyon).

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Kremmling is good but desert style riding with no shade and lots of short sage.

The McCoy area has some awesome single track weaving in and out of the cedar and pinyon trees.

Mule and Xc took me to a place called 717 and I now have a new favorite place to ride. It is right out of Woodland park. The trails are wide enough to accommodate a quad but there are very few posers. PM Mule for a map. You can ride trails all day and not hit the same one twice.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I'm curious about what makes someone a poser? Please explain.

I believe that he is referring to those who sit on their bikes and quads all day in the lot or race around the lot and the little spurs that surround it acting like azzhats. You see the same guys drag racng in the parking lots when you go sledding too. Those who have the "latest" style in racing gear but it never sees a drop of mud or a speck of dirt. Those peeps.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
If you like a mix of Sand and Trails, then North Sand Hills near Walden, CO is a great place. You can ride mountain trails and play in the sand.

Pack a portable bike pump to re-inflate your tires on the bike. You will have a better time decreasing air pressure and riding the sand but when you switch to trails you will want normal air pressure again. You can get them at any mountain bike shop or just use the one you get when you buy Fox Floats.

The Walden Dunes are pretty cool. Don't go there over Labor Day though. You will most likely get killed as the drinking is heavy and you get some crazies out there in the buggies.

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
I believe that he is referring to those who sit on their bikes and quads all day in the lot or race around the lot and the little spurs that surround it acting like azzhats. You see the same guys drag racng in the parking lots when you go sledding too. Those who have the "latest" style in racing gear but it never sees a drop of mud or a speck of dirt. Those peeps.

That pretty much covers it. Pit racers, drunk quad riders, team carhart, anyone on a trike, guys in jeans/sneakers and no helmet.
Rampart seems to attract a large number of them.

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
Close to Denver:

Rampart - often crowded, as mentioned. If you can, go with someone who knows their way around. I ride there a lot - 2-3x/week, because it is close. I typically start early, try to be on the bike at 7am, and I only really worry on weekends on the way back to the parking area - the closer you get to Rampart Range Road, the scarier it is. The trails are all ATV width, whooped near RRR, and bermed (except the new trails). IE, you can go pretty fast there, if that's your thing - but LOTS OF BLIND CORNERS.

Weekday mornings are "safe." The farther you get from RRR, the less congested it is. There's ~110 miles of trail there; the "posers" hang on roughly 20 of those miles. I like Rampart for what it is - but I'd not go there if it were not so close.

Woodland Park/717/Divide trails - you'll hear all three names, they're all the same thing. Rampart revisited, but 20? years ago. Similar topography, less traffic. More jeep road, but better _trails_ - they're not as motocrossed out. Just as scary as Rampart on a weekend morning near the Divide parking area. Everything is "717," hence the name. 717A, B, C, etc. D is very good. Last time I was there, I wound up on a closed trail three times. Got talked to by a very nice ranger. Two of them did not feel illegal at all - one was simply an intersection in the woods, turned right, looked like fun. Wound up dropping down a ridgeline, right up to the backside of a "no motorized vehicles" sign. Oops. The other one, I took a trail right next to a trail sign, wound up coming out in a campsite, where the ranger was waiting for the campers to put out their fire (and give them a ticket). She was nice about it, reminded me that if it is not clearly marked as a motorized route, it is CLOSED, no matter what it looks like. I went back and looked at the sign I passed - yeah, I see what they did. They were trying to say "the trail goes this way and that way" - but not the way I went. Fair enough; she could have given me a ticket easily. Careful at Woodland - there are a few trails which certainly LOOK legit which are not. That's FAR less of a problem than Rampart.

Farther out - Bocco Mountain, near Wolcott, about 2 hours west of Denver on 70. High desert riding, some STEEP hills, some very nice singletrack. Not super difficult from a technical standpoint, but the steepness is challenging.

Near CSprings - beyond Woodland Park, there's Captain Jack's - heavy use, no ATV (yay, I like narrow trails just as much as ATV people), somewhat small, lots of fun.

Near Boulder - not much, unfortunately. Left Hand Canyon, a rocky, small OHV area. ROCKY. Some singletrack there, but tilted toward "advanced." Some pretty sketchy stuff there. Fun, though.

Above Boulder, near Nederland - Caribou Flats, Rollins Pass area, behind Central City - all jeep roads, gorgeous views.

There's a ton of riding - email me - ircmannix -at- gmail dotcom - if you want more specific directions.

Are you looking for views? Singletrack? Fast jeep roads? Forest? Desert?

We have it all. I believe you need a nonresident OHV permit (you're _likely_ to get checked at any of the above places, save Wolcott). Spark arrestor, too.

Lots of places to ride - hope this reply is not too late, but someone might find it useful.

Iain

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
A few websites to surf ..

staythetrail.org
thumpertalk.com

Enjoy ...

Sargents91.jpg

Premium Features