• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KK recoil rope replacement

S
Dec 20, 2008
Bothell, WA
I bought some climbing line to replace the recoil rope in my 2004 Kingcat and I wanted to check if there are any tricks I should know? Can the rope be replaced with out removing the recoil spring?

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
the rope CAN be replaced but its much more of a pain in the azz than taking out the coil. check with 4Z here on the forum for rope. We all run the pink rope that you can get from them and it hasn't let us down yet...and our sleds arent exactly stock ;)

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I've never taken a recoil apart to put a rope on. Just feed it though the hole on the spool and out the housing eye. Pull a loop up between the spool and housing, alighn the rope with the notch on the spool and wind the spoop up until you have about a foot and half of rope left. Slowly let the spool rewind as you hold the rope.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
If you want to not worry about breaking ropes anymore, and have your sled be easier to pull over, put the recoil from an M8 or M1000 on it. It's pretty easy to make an adapter plate.

If you want to not worry about breaking ropes anymore, and have your sled be easier to pull over, put the recoil from an M8 or M1000 on it. It's pretty easy to make an adapter plate.

Would this also work on an 03 900 cat? Mine seems much harder to pull over than any of my buddies sleds, especially at sea level...I've gotten it down to a 10-15 minute process putting in a new rope.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
DO NOT take that recoil completely apart to replace the rope. Once you pull that nut off, your in for a bad day.

Take the recoil assy completely off. Tie a loop in the middle of the rope. Cut the handle off. Remove the assy from the sled. Pull the rope out until the hole in the spool is lined up so you can pull the old rope out throught the recoil side. Have someone hold the spool while the other guy pulls the old rope out (gonna have to take that loop out of the middle of the rope). Thread the new rope in and tie a good boyscout not in the end. Tie a big loop in the middle and your friend can now let go of the spool....his hands will be very tired at this point and he will require a beer. Be a good friend and get him a cold one. Youv'e made it this far, so I will stop explaining and boring you with the details.

Cheers!
--Chris

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Yes, you could build an adapter for the M1000 recoil for pretty much any of the older sleds. We haven't had any problems with them, even starting our 975s and the 1500 triple.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I broke 3 ropes on my 2003 900 1M and then I purchased the rope guide tube for a 2005 King Cat and installed a stock rope which came oil impregnated. I have been running the same rope since 2005 and the sled had a 14.8:1 RKT head on it and it has never been an issue. It was a bear to pull over but the rope still looks good to this day. Just make sure the starter is engaged before you haul off and yank on it and it will extend the life of the rope and the starter...

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Heavy's right. I did the same. Guide + heavy duty oil impregnated AC replacement rope. No problems in 3 years. I do have a 4z rope in my pack for replacement on the hill if needed.

--Chris

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
yea....I forgot to mention that I cary 2 spares just incase. I could always use the rope for something else in a pinch too. The guide tube is the key to keeping your rope in one piece as it distributes the force evenly inside the tube instead of across the little guide wire that was on there stock.

Premium Features