• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Rino 530 and Maps

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I just got two Garmin Rino 530's. I have never used a GPS but they seem pretty easy after reading the instructions and playing around for a while. I am a little confused about the maps though. I went to Garmin's site and looked around for maps but I am not sure which map would be a good map to buy and considering they are $100.00+ a piece I am not up for the hit-and-miss method.

Can someone please give me some suggestions as to what map I should get? I am going to use them primarily for riding, hunting, fishing, hiking etc..

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Maps

I just got two Garmin Rino 530's. I have never used a GPS but they seem pretty easy after reading the instructions and playing around for a while. I am a little confused about the maps though. I went to Garmin's site and looked around for maps but I am not sure which map would be a good map to buy and considering they are $100.00+ a piece I am not up for the hit-and-miss method.

Can someone please give me some suggestions as to what map I should get? I am going to use them primarily for riding, hunting, fishing, hiking etc..

:D Nice choice for a GPS, all my riding buddies now have one. Here's the maps you want Garmin Mapsource TOPO U.S. 2008. Did you get the HCx model or just the 530. I ask because the 530 does not have a slot for a memory card so you have limited space to load maps. They've worked out pretty sweet as I have a couple friends who tend to run off on their own and have no sense of direction.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
:D Nice choice for a GPS, all my riding buddies now have one. Here's the maps you want Garmin Mapsource TOPO U.S. 2008. Did you get the HCx model or just the 530. I ask because the 530 does not have a slot for a memory card so you have limited space to load maps. They've worked out pretty sweet as I have a couple friends who tend to run off on their own and have no sense of direction.

I bought the straight 530's and yes, I was looking at the Topo map but wasn't sure. c-bolt said the same thing so it looks like the 2008 topo is what I want. They were new out of the box. Must have been stuffed in a warehouse somewhere. I am good with directions back east but out here everything tends to look the same. Getting lost back east is simply a matter of walking until you hit a road which, depending on were you are could take a while. Up here you just don't walk until you find a road and someone searching for my dead body is not my idea of a good time.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Good Choice

They work great, and once you familiarize yourself with them are easy to use. Nice to be able to track your partner and also send out that 911 for an extra shovel when you find yourself buried.:eek:

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
They work great, and once you familiarize yourself with them are easy to use. Nice to be able to track your partner and also send out that 911 for an extra shovel when you find yourself buried.:eek:

I got the 530 since it has the radio and radio tracking as well. The wife rides trails with me and it's nice to know I can find her or she can find me if we get separated.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I got the 530 since it has the radio and radio tracking as well. The wife rides trails with me and it's nice to know I can find her or she can find me if we get separated.

Good Tools and Good Sense makes for a GOOD DAY!!:face-icon-small-hap

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Good Tools and Good Sense makes for a GOOD DAY!!:face-icon-small-hap

The fact that I know the woods back east like the back of my hand doesn't mean $hit up here. Age has taught me that arrogance and ego will kill you quicker than anything else. So, time listen and learn.... Besides, she is a good wife and I would hate to loose her.:rolleyes:

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Hey Guys, I do have a question on the Rino 530 I got. First off, this thing is awesome! I am getting a 2008 topo map. I was wondering if there is anyway to measure distance using the route verses the direct line like I am using now.What I want to do is use the route I took to measure distance back to a way point. Right now I can see how far it is say from my house to the Knik Arm but it is a straight line distance (as the crow flies). I want to trace my route back for the distance.

Clear as mud? :D
Thanks

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
i have a 530 and it has a memory slot, i just put a 2G card in it and loaded the topo 08, your does not?

I might have a hard time describing this but.. I have a route, and I want to measure the distance between two way points on that route. Right now, when I use the measure distance it will tell me how far between two way points but it is a straight line distance not the distance based on the route I just took. So, the straight line may only be 3 miles but my route, since I went around and over some mountains maybe 7 miles. Does that help?

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Route

I might have a hard time describing this but.. I have a route, and I want to measure the distance between two way points on that route. Right now, when I use the measure distance it will tell me how far between two way points but it is a straight line distance not the distance based on the route I just took. So, the straight line may only be 3 miles but my route, since I went around and over some mountains maybe 7 miles. Does that help?

Load the route into Mapquest on your pc. Drop the scale down until you see all the bread crumbs (track pts) run from pt to pt with the distance tool and Walla down on the bottom you will see the distance.:D

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Load the route into Mapquest on your pc. Drop the scale down until you see all the bread crumbs (track pts) run from pt to pt with the distance tool and Walla down on the bottom you will see the distance.:D

Do you mean Mapsource? I think I see what your referring to. Let me check that out.

I guess it can't be done on the GPS unit itself hugh?

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Mapsource

Do you mean Mapsource? I think I see what your referring to. Let me check that out.

I guess it can't be done on the GPS unit itself hugh?

That's the one, and it can be done on the GPS but it is alot easier to do on the PC. Good luck:D

Premium Features