• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys digital gauge and battery

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
just took delivery of my new axys anniversary edition with the new digital screen and WITHOUT electric start. I checked under he hood and it has a full size electric start battery, dealer says this is just to run the guage. Does polaris actually run this massive battery just for the LCD screen? In the guage's manual it mentions running without a battery will cause the guage to reboot when going into reverse. So im thinking this battery is just for the convenience of being able to play with the gps, etc with the sled off and nothing else. So im thinking the battery could be removed or at least significantly downsized?

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
Ya it seems like an odd/lazy solution, guess the majority of people get electric start these days? He said he ordered ten sleds with this guage but they were all electric start...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i stirred the pot calling it a "stupid gauge" on hcs. Lots of feelers were hurt.

i guess its a $500 option..... as well as its a gps for trail maps. If its the same info as their app there is no canadian trails on it anyways. not sure if mountain logging roads would be on it anyways.

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
I was afraid of the trails part too as i have downloaded the app as well and found it is useless up here. The gps looks just like an automotive one with roads/towns/etc. Havent been near any trails to see if they show up yet. You can drop pins with the handlebar buttons as you i guess. One of the bigger selling points for me was the ablilty to check diagnostic codes...

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
i think its more like an $1100 option to add it alone. The anniversary package was $500 and it comes with the guage and the rear trunk.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
We, Speedcell, can build you a very small battery to power your GPS.

The battery we would build you for that application would be really small and incapable of starting the sled- should you add Estart later.

The size of the battery would depend on the amp draw when the gauge is running without the motor, AND how long you would conceivably run the gauge without the motor i.e. Long lunch, bad stuck, etc.

You would also need to pull the quick disconnect (it is tool less) at night to make sure the battery does not over discharge-- the death of all lithium based systems.

Ultimate size will depend on your required amp load, and duration.
Feel free to call me with an questions.

Murph
+1.831 . 464. 3458

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I do not know what the amperage draw of the gauge is but I did leave my key in the on position in the trailer for 3 straight days before noticing, display was on and GPS was running entire time, still had plenty of power to turn over with my electric start

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I believe the RMK version will not require a battery. So order it up. It is a super cool gauge. They said you do need to give it a little time (10-15 seconds) to boot up or you will lose some of your "track" stored in the memory, but no battery on the RMK.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I believe the RMK version will not require a battery. So order it up. It is a super cool gauge. They said you do need to give it a little time (10-15 seconds) to boot up or you will lose some of your "track" stored in the memory, but no battery on the RMK.

Battery is needed to keep it powered it up when sled is off or when you switch to reverse. :) If that's what a guy wants...

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Yes, but it is not required to have a battery to use the GPS gauge cluster, just give yourself a little time after startup (like you should anyway) or know you will not have the tracking for everywhere you went.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut

The track losing I have only noticed is when you update the gauge. I have turned key on many times and pull start the sled before the idd powers up and no problems. But this might be an issue with a non-battery sled? Mine came with e-start as that is all dealer ordered. 15 Switch Pro-S ES and bought the idd just for the ease of getting codes as the stock gauge not very much info with codes. Reason is I live in a remote area and no dealer within 400 miles so I couldn't go without.

GPS is a joke unless you only ride on the trails that they upload which is mainly the US trails and a couple Canadian ones. For off trail thee GPS brings you back to the 90's where you do not have any lakes/topo grids or any sense of location other then gps point #'s.

Still need your garmin for off trail riding. IMO I thing i paid twice as much as it is worth. And if I was getting a mountain sled I wouldn't want the battery anyway so would stay with stock gauge.

EDIT-although for the rmk's they may come installed without the battery for weight savings but would be just annoying if you have to go into reverse and it would shut off and take's 15-20 seconds to reboot and constant rebooting one right after the other cannot be good for a device like this. Think of your computer, forced reboot a couple minutes after each other, that cannot be too healthy for it. Plus the rpms and speed lags a bit.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Yes, the one with battery will not have any issues losing data. To be 100% honest most of us do not use reverse much outside of the garage or parking lot. Even if you do and it loses the data, how far are you going to go in reverse? Not enough that you will care if that small bit of information is lost.

Premium Features