• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is case porting??? and other porting questions

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
what is case porting? is it something i could do? i know most porting needs to be done by a pro.

also i got my 08 700 tore down anything i can do to sqeeze a lil extra power from it while its apart clean up the ports or polish the exhaust ports

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Porting

Case porting is performed to match the bottom of the cylinders with the top of the case. If the cylinders are opened up a bunch, often the ports are larger than the area in the top of the case where they meet. In therory, when the fuel charge moves from the bottom end up into the transfer ports and the cylinder ports are larger than the case you will get a area of negative pressure where the two parts meet. Matching them elimnates that. Also it eliminates a restriction in the transfer path kind of like water runnig from a 1inch pipe into a 2 inch. Another argument would be that that area left intact would cause turbulance which helps atomize the fuel but I think the loss of flow restriction will make up for that by increasing the flow velocity and putting a bigger charge in the cylinder. Also most case porting smothes out other sharp edges that again can affect flow as well as slightly increasing over all case volumn. Usually attention is paid to the oiler holes too. Again this is done to aid in cutting down restriction of oil/fuel to the bearings. Case volumn isn't going to change that much so I wouldn't be afraid of doing it.
Cut a base gasket to match the cylinder ports and then use that as a template for the case. Careful not to take too much off the sides, if you do you will have a hard time keeping base gaskets from blowing out.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have heard there isn't much "extra" to gain from these 700's. You might find a little to play with on a case porting mission, but I'm not sure you will feel it when you are done.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
As per discussions with several well known porting experts, case porting will not gain a lot of HP (perhaps 2), it will however help with bottom end power delivery, especially with twin pipes, if you get say Carls to do it they will also send you a base gasket that is cut out to match the cylinders and cases so you don't have to fool around port matching the gasket.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
eventualy i am hopefully end of jan as my funds are right now i gotta use what i got

Premium Features