• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ATTN:Summit County Snowmobilers..Travel Management Plan release

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
I recieved this from a friend, thought Colorado riders should know and maybe try to stop. I hope we are not losing the war for our rights to use U.S. Forest land to ride snowmobiles on. I have copied and pasted the email below. Sorry if this has been posted already.:director:

Subject: Travel Management Plan release

Hello Summit County Snowmobilers,
I am interupting this awesome late season weather to bring you the latest update on the White River Forest Travel Management Plan.
As some of our early club members will remember, we got together and commented on the latest round of the TMP about 2 or 3 years ago. The Forest Service has just released their final version of the plan. Web version here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72DTUE8TAwjQL8h2VAQAMtzFUw!!/?ss=110215&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5297489&navid=091000000000000&position=SubFeature*&ttype=detailfull&pname=White
Highlights for snowmobilers? Well if you like driving to Spring Creek or Montezuma to ride powder, you are in luck. If you like riding the trails in the Swan drainage, you are in luck. Everyone else, you're not going to be very happy next winter.

The prefered alternative when we were commenting was Alt G, it closed several smaller open motorized areas but kept open some motorized areas to ride near the towns. Areas like McCoullough Gulch, below Porcupine Gulch on Tenderfoot, Pennsylvania Creek, and the valleys ofthe Swan off Tiger Road all had open motorized areas. Miners Creek was also open among several others. We commented to keep those areas open but they did not listen. The comments from the Town of Breckenridge and other various non motorized users seemed to carry more weight.

Effective in 45 days, the only open motorized areas for snowmobiles (areas where you can ride off a trail) are out of Montezuma, on Green Mountain Res. or up Spring Creek. The kick in the pants of this plan is the change of designation in Alt GM of several areas from open motorized to motorized restricted. The restricted label means you have to stay on designated winter trails. Why is this the best part of the plan? They did not desinate any winter trails!
Check it out on the Alt GM winter map, open motorized is green, restricted is purple, non-motorized is tan. Only the roads in red are the designated winter routes.

This means, Miners Creek is closed. Porcupine Gulch is closed. Pennsylvania Gulch is closed. Not just the Horseshoe Basin at the top, the entire jeep road from Coronet to Indiana Gulch, including all of Boreas Pass is closed. The entire Ten Mile Range is closed, (both sides, McCullough and Mayflower.)
Yea, sure, but they can't enforce it you say?
If it is not a designated trail, any forest service person or sheriff who catches you coming out of a trail can and will write you a ticket.

It seems Travel Management has done far more damage to our riding areas than the Hidden Gems could have ever hoped for. I will schedule a meeting with Ken Waugh of the Dillon Ranger District early next week. I have already alerted CSA of our disatisfaction, we'll see if there's anything they can do to help. There is an opportunity to apeal the plan, I'll have to ask CSA if that will do any good.

That's all I have for now. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

Rich Holcroft

President, High Country Snowmobile Club
Phone 970-547-0317
Fax 970-453-5834
Cell 970-389-3317

Hlcrft@aol.com

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I got this email too....very bad news. This is going to hit home for a lot of people. Once again, the masses need to get involved and stop thinking "someone else" is working on it....a handful of people cant do all the work. Yes the blueribbon is great but they can only do so much. Riding areas are no longer a right....they need to be fought for....otherwise they are gone....just like these areas in summit county. this travel management plan has been in the works for years.

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
I got this email too....very bad news. This is going to hit home for a lot of people. Once again, the masses need to get involved and stop thinking "someone else" is working on it....a handful of people cant do all the work. Yes the blueribbon is great but they can only do so much. Riding areas are no longer a right....they need to be fought for....otherwise they are gone....just like these areas in summit county. this travel management plan has been in the works for years.
Your right Paul, I'm going to check with one of my CSA buddies and see if they have some info on who we can write to try and stop this. Next it will be Grand Lake and then more of Rabbit ears more of Vail Pass till we have nothing.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Your right Paul, I'm going to check with one of my CSA buddies and see if they have some info on who we can write to try and stop this. Next it will be Grand Lake and then more of Rabbit ears more of Vail Pass till we have nothing.

unfortunately i believe the white river forest plan is a done deal. the planning and public comment phase has been over the past several years. although its a longshot, there might be the possibility of an appeal as stated in email above. I have been trying to figure out if any snowmobile areas have been closed in Eagle county....does anyone know??

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
unfortunately i believe the white river forest plan is a done deal. the planning and public comment phase has been over the past several years. although its a longshot, there might be the possibility of an appeal as stated in email above. I have been trying to figure out if any snowmobile areas have been closed in Eagle county....does anyone know??

Right now CSA is working on this plan. Reviewing the maps and talking to the local clubs. If there is something that matters to us they are going to work with the USFS in an appeal. Even the USFS has said that this could be the right approach to making a change. Once again, this is the reason to join a club and CSA. And if you need to see the brighter side of things, the travel management plan is less than 10% of what Hidden Gems could be.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Right now CSA is working on this plan. Reviewing the maps and talking to the local clubs. If there is something that matters to us they are going to work with the USFS in an appeal. Even the USFS has said that this could be the right approach to making a change. Once again, this is the reason to join a club and CSA. And if you need to see the brighter side of things, the travel management plan is less than 10% of what Hidden Gems could be.

unfortunately hidden gems is far from dead....polis just reintroduced it again. So for you summit county people that ride these areas that are slated for closure....what kind of loss would this be....are they great riding areas or what? i have never ridden them

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
unfortunately hidden gems is far from dead....polis just reintroduced it again. So for you summit county people that ride these areas that are slated for closure....what kind of loss would this be....are they great riding areas or what? i have never ridden them

Most of them are exceptional riding areas. The area that our club currently grooms is in the middle of one of them.

psychoneurosis

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Longmont CO
www.psychoneurosisracing.com
Sorry I missed this thread, been under my rock a lot recently.

CSA has appealled this decision and we are very optimistic that at least some of the areas can be reopened. I think most of the local clubs are also appealing the decision. LOTS of bad logic and science in this TMP

CSA's appeal is WAY too long to post here (40 pages) . Should be able to have it on the CSA site in the next day or two. If you want a copy of it you can pm me also

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
still one more day for anyone who wants to write an appeal letter june 20 is deadline. i sure hope the CSA appeal helps. I sent an appeal letter after going back and forth with the forest service for a week here in vail (holy cross rd). they finally admitted that many of these areas that were designated "motorized routes only" simply dont have any designated motorized routes. this is very sneaky of them. Contact Scott Fitzwilliams forest supervisor and let him know this is not right you have one more day!

Premium Features