• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This place is SLOOOOOOW!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The more stuff they keep adding to the site to slower it gets. Tonight is as bad as its been yet. Sometimes you can clink on a few posts or forums and all is fine. Then the next click takes 30-90 seconds for the page to open.

Who asked for all the changes and why didnt they do this back in June? This is the time things start picking up around here.

Clean up the clutter!!!!! It was fine before. My .02 Eric

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It has NOTHING at all to do with the modifications.
This is a deeper hardware/software problem that we are slowly working our way through.

Just minutes ago the server was registering 1,700% of MAX load.

I was way way way beyond it's ability to handle the traffic on the site.

We are doing everything we can to resolve this issue right now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We are now at 600% of max server capacity.
That is a HUGE improvement, but we need to get down to UNDER 100%!

We are doing everything we can at our end to resolve this.

But the hardware is simply having a VERY HARD TIME meeting the demands.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
imo i think the site is cluttered with too many links. the sled brand forums don;t need sub forums. its good to see that u guys got great ambition to make the site better, but its starting to look like the forums that i left.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Christopher was hired to increase site activity so they can generate more money on advertising.

So now there are more pages that need to be clicked on to navigate this site so that is increasing the overall activity, ultimately making this site slow and suck big time

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It has NOTHING at all to do with the modifications.
This is a deeper hardware/software problem that we are slowly working our way through.

Just minutes ago the server was registering 1,700% of MAX load.

I was way way way beyond it's ability to handle the traffic on the site.

We are doing everything we can to resolve this issue right now.

Now Christopher, don't expect us to buy that. Some of us have been in the computer/IT rodeo for a lot of years. More stuff loads whenever we go in to topic lists... for example, the funcky little bars under everyone's usernames.

Or even the drop down lists that now have 5 times as many links in them as they did... all of that gets built when the page is built even if it isn't displayed. That takes time and puts load on the server.

So some of the additional load on the server is self induced.

I know, change is good, and Snowest hired you to change stuff... good for you for doing your job. But as the old saying goes, "Change, for the sake of change, is not good".

It would appear that the major issue is speed... one would think that should be the first thing addressed.

sled_guy

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
My god!!!! Sitting here waiting for PM's to open is like watching paint dry!!!!

Ebay has slowed down a lot lately also, but not near this bad.

But, I guess it's still worth what we pay.;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now Christopher, don't expect us to buy that. Some of us have been in the computer/IT rodeo for a lot of years. More stuff loads whenever we go in to topic lists... for example, the funcky little bars under everyone's usernames.
Your welcome to do whatever you want to with the information that I am presenting to you.

But the fact of the matter is, last night we saw a load factor on the primary server of 17. And that is NOT coming from the little Mods that have been installed. We have been very careful in selecting only the mods that are NOT highly CPU intensive. MANY of the remaining mods will pound the server and have not been installed for that one reason alone.

This huge load is coming from a SURGE in member activity. We are clearly entering into the "season" and are feeling the pain!

2 weeks ago we were at 7,000 active members.
Now we are at almost 9,000 active, with an average of 2,000 logged on at any given time during the evening.

As I write this, we have just over 1,000 logged into the site at 4:30pm

The other problem is that Harris Publications has many other sites that are all hosted on the same server, as their traffic goes up, we all share the pain.

You might have noticed that the dreaded DATABASE ERROR seems to have disappeared for the most part. It looks like everything we have been working on for the Database server is now beginning to pay off.

Rest assured we are doing all we can to get more server resources dedicated to SnoWest as well.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The problem is a lot worse at night. right now its 5:30 pm central time and its working ok. Wait 4-5 hours and I bet it will be at a snails pace again.

Never had a problem untill they started adding all the crap that we dont need. Eric

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
The problem is a lot worse at night. right now its 5:30 pm central time and its working ok. Wait 4-5 hours and I bet it will be at a snails pace again.

Never had a problem untill they started adding all the crap that we dont need. Eric

It happened last year, so it's not new.

It is annoying though!!!!!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Honestly I'd rather have the d-base errors where it's just down and out than this takes-10-minutes-to-load-a-page bullsh*t.

or 10 minutes to post.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Tonight saw a new all time high on the server.
We hit a load factor of 21.

SnoWest is hosted on a corporate server at Harris Publishing. This server is shared by all the sites of the corporation. And a huge percentage of the server goes to supporting all the other sites which are coded in ColdFussion, and running the old FuseTalk forums.

Problem is, while we are the most active, and generate the most demands on the server, we do not have the resources to meet the demands.

So week after week we are seeing our loads go higher and higher as more and more people log back in to SnoWest.

Tonight I turned OFF some of the mods for 2 hours to see if they had ANY real impact on the server, and the answer was NO. Our load continued to jump up and down WILDLY all night long. Fast one moment, and grindingly slow the very next.

Hang in there with me and we WILL get it resolved.

Premium Features