• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Okay to wear beacon under MX style chest protector?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I have an MX style chest protector i would like to wear rather than dropping money into a tek vest or what not, but is there any chance of the protector making the Avy beacon's transmiting signal weaker? I would like to hear from those whe sell beacons or actually know something about this situation. Thanks

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I doubt it would affect signal, but this year we started wearing tekvest and the first few rides I put my beacon on over my base layer as we used to..not the place for a beacon between you and a vest..when the vest takes a hit, it transfers the energy right where the beacon is...now I wear the beacon on my outer layer and vest goes on over the whole thing(beacon has 2-4 layers of padding now)much more comfortable...

R
Nov 16, 2002
Forest Grove, OR
Good question. I actually put mine in the pocket of my tek vest. On the outside. Always wondered about that, but it only needs to go through the fabric. I can't stand the strap around my neck. I know I know better to have the strap around your neck than be dead.

RF

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I tried many different configurations last year... finally found that if I put the harness under my tekvest so the beacon sits between the front and back half, the strap doesn't dig into your neck and it's still to the outside of the armor zone.

As far as the polycarb roost guard attenuating the signal... Lexan is rather transparent to RF signals. Cellphones, computers, pagers, bluetooth devices, remote controls, even the beacon itself encapsulates antennas inside the plastic housings. Snow and moisture buildup on your body is going to have more of an impact on the transmitted power than the plastic roost guard will.

Just a side note, but have you worn the roost guard with a pack and everything? I find it to be quite uncomfortable with anything else on top of mine. A jacket I can deal with, a pack I cannot.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
mule I have tried my vest under the outer shell as well but just not as comfy...I too am not a pack wearer..but this year started wearing both the vest and ABS pack..so far so good but vest has to be outside my outer layer...

E

evil1

Aug 7, 2008
fort mcmurray, alberta,canada
I tried many different configurations last year... finally found that if I put the harness under my tekvest so the beacon sits between the front and back half, the strap doesn't dig into your neck and it's still to the outside of the armor zone.

As far as the polycarb roost guard attenuating the signal... Lexan is rather transparent to RF signals. Cellphones, computers, pagers, bluetooth devices, remote controls, even the beacon itself encapsulates antennas inside the plastic housings. Snow and moisture buildup on your body is going to have more of an impact on the transmitted power than the plastic roost guard will.

Just a side note, but have you worn the roost guard with a pack and everything? I find it to be quite uncomfortable with anything else on top of mine. A jacket I can deal with, a pack I cannot.

beacon13.jpg

beacon14.jpg

same deal for me,,easy access under my jacket also

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I was wondering about placing it between the front and back pieces, except the beacon fits perfectly in the inner chest pocket of my Klim jacket so I dont have to deal with the straps and such. I also have managed to put ALL of my survival gear inside the various free spaces on the REV, so i dont wear a backpack etc.

Thanks everyone

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I was wondering about placing it between the front and back pieces, except the beacon fits perfectly in the inner chest pocket of my Klim jacket so I dont have to deal with the straps and such. I also have managed to put ALL of my survival gear inside the various free spaces on the REV, so i dont wear a backpack etc.

Thanks everyone

Awesome! So.... what happens when you and your sled get separated?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
For your riding buddies sake, dont put all your survival/avy gear on your sled... Wont do you a damn bit of good when your sled is a quarter mile down the hill under 10 feet of debris when your up the hill trying to figure out how to dig your buddy out with your helmet visor. A few hours with a backpack on and you wont even know its back there, its not bad at all.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, i am a good shoveler no doubt, but i need me shovel to dig!! i dont wanna leave a buddy behind cuz i wont wear a pack, ^^ i ride with him every week, and hes still posting, so ill still wear a pack so he can post for years to come.

wear your gear, and as far as the MX protector, they are for roost protection, not bars and trees.

i dont get this whole no pack thing, it just confuses me. mine is at least 10-15 pounds and i dont even know i have it on when im riding.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
this may be an assanine suggestion, but couldn't you place the beacon on your back instead of your chest??? That hip mount looks like it could get torn off if the sh!t gets real...........

What are you going to do then if a buddy gets buried....wrestle with the beacon for 3min. so you can turn it to receive???

My only problem is the strap rubbing on my neck, it's damn near raw by the end of a long day. Probably just have to play with the adjustments more I guess.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I wear my beacon over my tekvest which I wear under my jacket. Once you adjust the backpack properly so it doesn't flop around you'll hardly notice it. The backpack doesn't have to be very big either. I used to wear a small camel back pack (no bladder in) with my shovel and probe secured on the back. That was super light. Now I just want to carry a few extras so my pack weighs about 10 lbs or so.

Premium Features