• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My way of clutch/belt maintenance

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
here is what I do, some people agree and some dont but I have been doing this for years now and I have NEVER had a belt blow apart on me. I take the belt off and scrub it real good with a brillo pad and dishwashing soap, let it air dry. I then clean the cluthces like everyone does. Now heres the trick, with the belt off start your sled. Get some 80 grit sand paper and sand the primary sheaves. As the primary is spinning reach down to the bottom of the sheave with the sand paper and very lightly touch the sheaves. As its spinning start coming up with the sand paper, you will notice a "spiral" type of pattern as your moving the paper up. Do this to both sides. It works, dont get all crazy and push to hard all you are trying to do is give the belt some traction so it grabs instead of slip on the primary. DONT do this to the secondary. If your sceptical do a heat test. Run your sled first with out doing this, use a heat gun and take its temp. Then do this process and take its temp again, you will notice lower temps. :face-icon-small-coo

all4doo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2010
NW Montana
I usually scrub the sheaves with a scotch-brite pad..seems to help belt life to have clean sheaves for every ride.

D
Nov 20, 2005
i read the basic same thing in sledheads magazine a few years back , they used the scotch pad also , and they didnt have the sled running , what i like about your way is it seems to be very efficient, one safety factor would probably wear short sleeves?
also all they wanted to do was get that film off the sheaves thanks again for the post.. i quit doing it cause it took so long the way they said to do it.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Two things!

One, this is extemely dangerous but hey its you hand not mine.

and the other thing is your belt is not getting more grip from your scratch lines going around the sheaves, you want to use the scotch brite up and down so that the scuffing is perpendicular to your belts rotation.

but hey you know what the say about opinions!

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
primary

My Mr T starter set makes a hell of a racket when I do this with the engine running. I was also worried my FUBU sweatshirt would get caught in there!

Premium Features