• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for a Equinox Snowcoach

rmkfire

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
Does anyone know of anyone that is selling an Equinox snowcoach? My son will be 14 months when we head to Island Park this year and I am looking to get a few more miles under him this year. I have heard of some people putting a 12 volt heater in these, is that enough to keep it somewhat warm. Who has actual experience with these how well do they tow, I seen online they are 350 pounds, is there anyway to lighten them up without compromising safety and the pocketbook.

Thanks for any input

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
They are not 350lbs. I think they're rated to carry 350# load. They weigh, maybe 150lbs.
Shouldn't need any heat inside for the little one. We've been using ours for 3 winters now. Took our youngest out when he was 6-8 months old. Kids are 6 and 3 now. They have seatbelts and we strapped a baby seat and a car seat in it for the 2 kids. By next winter, we won't use any car seats. If it's sunny out, even when it's 0deg, you'll be taking some clothes off the kid. Gets pretty warm being a big black plastic "window". Even on cold snowy days, the kids aren't cold.

I put some 7" wide plastic skis on it for better flotation, but it does surprisingly well in soft snow. I'd say anything less then 2' of fresh and not too steep of hills, it does fine. We pull it with a stock M7. It's a little tough on the clutches in the powder, but oh well. I can powder turn nice wide turns with the trailer attached...the hitch swivels. Probably had the thing a few places I shouldn't have with teh kids in it, but if necessary, you can still pull some moves and climb a decent hill, just don't plan on turning out very easily. (I did it once on a hill that seemed easy on my RMK...couldn't get up it with the 'coach....wife wasn't very happy with me :eek:!)
It definately floats as well as the front of a sled. SOme GenII Simmons would be the trick! I've also thought of fabbing a plastic or sheetmetal skid to go from ski to ski. It would tow alot easier, bit I think it would lose it's tracking ability, especially on side hills.
Overall, it's great for the kids (once they're about 3 though, they are going to want ot ride with you until you scare them or they get cold, then the trailer aint so bad in their eyes. It's a little rough on bumpy trails, but nothing the kids haven't recovered from. They b!tch about it a little, but always want to go the next time!:D
Finding one is a different story. At $2500 for a new one, they're too spendy, IMO. Over the course of about 2 years of pretty steady looking (SW, fleabay, craigslist), I found a used one for $1100, near a friends house on the other side of the country. Had him pick it up for us. Just start putting some want adds on here and craigslist in the popular sledding areas. Ended up getting ours shipped out west on a hotshot trailer for $200, but even cheap shipping took a while to find.
It's worth it though if you want/need to take the kid(s) with. We can go on full day trips no problem, regardless of weather and without it, the kids wouldn't last more than a couple hrs.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Oh, plan on getting a good hitch for the tow sled. Cat has a beefy utility hitch that I put on the M7 and it works great, but the sno coach pulls pretty hard sometimes depending what you're doing with it.
I bought one of those add-on hitches that bolts to/thru the bumper for my old RMK. It was bent to sh!t in about 2 hrs and almost broke!

Premium Features