• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha One Rear Skid - Will it change things forever?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Racin,

Good info.

I assume you are ready to go for these conversions? Sounds like this summer is the target date. Any idea on ballpark cost for full skid and conversion?

And can one use the existing track? Or is a new track required?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If you have a 2017 Mountain Cat or 2018 Mountain Cat, it will be around $3400 for the track, drivers, and skid. You will need to use your existing shocks.

Geometry is set up for the drop and roll so if you have a 2012-2017 non mountain cat sled, you will need to do that.

I have been told late summer on delivery of the kits.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
doo uses 6 tooths, i dont see why the aftermarket wont have drivers availible for a 12-16 soon.
but glad i paid extra 2 years ago for that dropped case MC:face-icon-small-coo
3400 also seems steep, i think the aftermarket/backyard mechanics will step in.
center punch/clip your track and throw the skid in?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It is important to understand that the Alpha Powerclaw track is a very integral part of this equation. It has been in development for a while to work with this skid and its function.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Would it be feasible to narrow a two rail skid, turn the drivers
around punch and clip a current power claw track to build something similar for an older sled or, is the track THAT much different that it wouldn't withstand the flex.
The center of the current powerclaw track isn't strong enough to support the weight of the sled, the paddles will fold over.
The new tracks paddle has a 'finger' at the center to support the weight.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Big difference in design for the load.
360813b019978ccd93ce72066edaf416.jpg
760cb6bb801154232d442ddd9f08efe7.jpg

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
When looking at the track the lugs for the outer bogie wheels are still there (they aren't needed any longer). The track on these sleds is clearly an off the shelf track not specifically designed for this application.

If a track was specifically designed for this application it would not have those outer lugs, it would probably be of a different durometer and thickness, etc. I think once they design a track specifically for this application there will be benefits to be gained in traction as well as more weight to be saved.

Those outer lugs are for top idlers

Last edited:

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Track tension will be paramount! I LOVE cat for giving us this... didn't share it with yammi hilarious. Super curious how how unbearable it would be on the trail to the pow, not that that matters much.

Wrote a review in the Alpha ride review thread if you want to read it all. I was thoroughly surprised on trail manners getting out to the riding area. I purposely hopped on one to ride it out so I could see how it acted. Going straight it's no different than the '19 mountain cat or any other sled. Corners are easier and I believe faster (didn't exactly race). The front stays planted better with no ski lift. I did get lazy in position and push a little hard on one corner and found out there is a tipping point and you better be ready! That was one time and one "surprise" for me, so who knows, it may easily be managed once you get some miles on and figure out its true characteristics, but overall I thought if anything, I'd prefer the Alpha on a trail than the mountain cat.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
If the track looks like the one pictured. Is there one extrovert driver centered on the driveshaft? Is so, are there two introvert drivers on each side of the center extrovert driver?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If the track looks like the one pictured. Is there one extrovert driver centered on the driveshaft? Is so, are there two introvert drivers on each side of the center extrovert driver?
The drivers look the same as current.
Just flipped 180° and close together.

M
Aug 11, 2008
Theres a lot of unanswered questions out there; hows it going to ride on trails/set-up conditions, durability, overall handling, etc. We will find out so enough, its a step in the right direction, someone has to take the big step and to bring change to the industry and Cat has done it.

Really? It's a fawking mountain sled!!!

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
It will be terrible in hardpack conditions but good in the Pow. It won't be long before we have a kit available to limit the motion for those conditions.

How are you going to do that? Some sort of bogie wheels that you can engage to stiffen the track in the middle? Theres no link like the t-link that pivots, so nothing to ‘lock’

R
Mar 19, 2018
What’s “best machine” to snowcheck for 2019?

I quit riding for a few years. I have been studying up on sleds to snowcheck for 2019. A friend rides a 2018 ski doo 850 and he didn’t like the way it side hilled compared to his friends Polaris and Sno Pro. He recommended either the mountain cat, hardcore or the Polaris 850. I’m inclined to try Alpha and have heard great reviews but there’s not enough reviews to make a solid accusation on it. Too bad there’s not more reviews out for the Alpha prior to the snowcheck deadline. I checked it out st RMSHA last weekend. Ugly color scheme that’s for sure. Is there any riders that have ridden all of the 2018 sleds that can give me advice on which brand is best for boondock/mountain riding? - Missoula, Mt Thanks-

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I picture aftermarket billet arm kits putting wheels out closer to the edge for stability and hardpack riding. seems legit to me, still a huge weight savings to be noticed, but haters gonna hate.

Premium Features