• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 low speed belt chatter

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Secondary is letting the belt slip at speeds below 7 mph. Anyone else experiencing this issue.

P
Nov 2, 2011
I have also noticed this on my 16 limited. It almost sounds like a blowoff valve. Definitely coming from the clutches. So I'm not the only one hearing this house from my clutches?

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Wyo, I am not disagreeing that this is "normal" for this secondary, but it is not right! Getting pulled home on the end of a tow rope is normal for a Polaris but it too is not right. Cat needs to find a fix and fast.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
My limited sounds like metal is grinding in the primary until about 5 MPH. I'm sure not getting a blow off valve type noise. Plan on pulling the clutch and having a good look tonight.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Same noise on 6000

My wifes 16' M6000 has this same noise, drove me nuts trying to figure out what it was, thanks for posting this. It appears to be random to me when it does it, sometimes taking off sometimes not, almost every time when slowing down though. Glad to hear it is normal.

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
I have also noticed this on my 16 limited. It almost sounds like a blowoff valve. Definitely coming from the clutches. So I'm not the only one hearing this house from my clutches?

That's exactly what I thought it sounded like haha. Kinda figured it must have been the deflection adjuster after I took it apart, but good to see that its normal ish

T
Mar 17, 2011
Central Alberta
Same thing. When your on the machine sounds like a gring metal chatter. From a distance sounds like a blowoff valve.. Sorta
Nothing "normal" about it. Sounds like garbage! What can be done? I am not a clutch guy but it aint right thats for sure. When you cruze thru the lot and have to reassure your buddies that its not going to blow up and its normal? And mine doesnt happen all the time. So i dont buy the belt drop engage noise line of reasoning. There must be some clutch experts on here that can chime in. I have a hard time beleiving that team industries would release a clutch that makes the sled sound like an old truck with a blown manifold gasket

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Here's what I know of this issue. On my 2016 LTD green 153" with 48* helix.

Arctic Cat wanted qty2 .030" shims to be installed in secondary in addition to the qty1 .090" shim they think my clutch has in it now.

But when I take the outer sheave off to install them.... I find qty1 .090" and qty1 .030" shim installed stock. So I installed qty1 of the .030" shims then reset belt deflection and the noise is still there. Still chattering and sounding like its going to blow up or break!

This is not acceptable...:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:

Catintree

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2009
Got 48 miles on mine, didn't start doing it till about the 10 mile mark. Sounds like my old M8 primary that had 2200 miles right before it shelled out. Only thing I can see is the weights are not held tight to the rollers and chatter till they get enough RPM.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The deflection bolt is skidding on the steel surface of the back sheave about 1.5"s. I think we need more shims in there to make the deflection bolt not skid. If the shim stack is just right the bolt will land in the same position/spot every time instead of skidding to the spot.

I'll test this theory later today to see if it works.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The deflection bolt is skidding on the steel surface of the back sheave about 1.5"s. I think we need more shims in there to make the deflection bolt not skid. If the shim stack is just right the bolt will land in the same position/spot every time instead of skidding to the spot.

I'll test this theory later today to see if it works.

Those shims are not for deflection, those are alignment shims.

The noise is different, but not the end of the world. Not near as irritating as Polaris brake noise for the last 15 years

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Yes I see that now. Thanks! Arctic Cat wanted to change alignment of the sheaves with 2 .030 thousandths Shims for some reason. So now my alignment is off from the alignment bar by.030".

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
They all make the noise. Like a stated above, it is normal on this secondary until the belt drops enough to engage the clutch

If Wyoboy1000 says that the clutch noise is normal, then it is normal. For what clutch or who it is normal for, we don't know. But it is normal.
Mods, please close the thread. Wyo has spoken. No need for further dialogue.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Those shims are not for deflection, those are alignment shims.

The noise is different, but not the end of the world. Not near as irritating as Polaris brake noise for the last 15 years

Yes....deflection is adjusted by the set screw. Alignment is adjusted with the shims between the clutch sheaves.

Guys make sure you have the new Team Alignment bar for the 2016 sleds.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
So this "normal" scraping is causing this scar to go deeper every ride. I'd say I have about 20 more rides till the reflection bolt wears through the steel plate.
IMG_20151207_155356_zpsf2z02wuj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Premium Features