• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

400lb proclimb, "can it be done" project

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
My 12 weighs in at 500 lbs rtr.thats with extra belts and gloves.oversize tool kit.exit coil overs on front and raptors in the kmod.slp pipe kit.little bit of carbon fiber. can 400lbs be done?i think so but its gonna take some more carbon fiber.such as rails and a full carbon fiber tunnel and bulkhead, and some more money.maybe a lighter track,but the way my 12 is now is still very reliable.and fun to ride.easy for an old guy to throw around and get unstuck.

winter 2014 119.jpg

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
My 12 weighs in at 500 lbs rtr.thats with extra belts and gloves.oversize tool kit.exit coil overs on front and raptors in the kmod.slp pipe kit.little bit of carbon fiber. can 400lbs be done?i think so but its gonna take some more carbon fiber.such as rails and a full carbon fiber tunnel and bulkhead, and some more money.maybe a lighter track,but the way my 12 is now is still very reliable.and fun to ride.easy for an old guy to throw around and get unstuck.

What all did you do to hit 502lbs

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
Carbon fiber hood,tank and rear tunnel.oil delete and belt drive.those were the main things.i also did CF bogies,skins front end,gripper skis,post forward kit.off topic a little,i got one ride with wyo steering mod.other than that I cut my seat down,made my own flap and deleted the tail light and head light.weight was done at the Yamaha shop as not to be favored.got a lot of hours on this set up and its been very reliable.the kmod keeps it on the ground and a great investment for the loss of weight.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Do you know the weight diff on the tank vs the newer tank? I think the new tank is only a 4lb difference. Plus the carbon is only a 10gal so your 10lbs lighter on fuel.

Did you narrow the boards yet, what did you think of the steering?

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
very little time on the steering.i like it so far more weight loss with the bulhead trim:face-icon-small-con. yes the tank is 10 gallons but seems to get about same riding time compared to the stock cats,less weight I guess.the biggest loss was in the hood.C3 cost more but worth it in my opinion.got the tank at C3 also.havent skinnyed it up yet.but do have aftermarket boards. with the money I save not getting a new sled im hopeing to try the CF rails.not sure how the KMOD would bolt in and if I fold one replacing could be an issue.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I wanted to do the skinny boards, but I hadn't pre ordered a set. Last I talked with them non are available.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
very little time on the steering.i like it so far more weight loss with the bulhead trim:face-icon-small-con. yes the tank is 10 gallons but seems to get about same riding time compared to the stock cats,less weight I guess.the biggest loss was in the hood.C3 cost more but worth it in my opinion.got the tank at C3 also.havent skinnyed it up yet.but do have aftermarket boards. with the money I save not getting a new sled im hopeing to try the CF rails.not sure how the KMOD would bolt in and if I fold one replacing could be an issue.

Kevin had CF rails on his skid at the snow show. So should bolt right up to your existing

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So what's the grand total so far on price of parts? I'm all for doing the simple and easy and cheap things to lighten these up, but once we get to the $500 a pound stuff, I don't care to get that crazy. So far it looks to be reasonable. I would have skipped the Boss seat. Too little loss for the money spent.

Cost

Stage I (weights are approximate), these are the easier, best bang for your buck items.
Mountain Fit hood with intake shelf: $400 shipped -12lbs
Mountain Valley Machine belt drive with extra belt: $1075 -10lbs
Diamond S quiet Ti can: $575 -16lbs
Jaws pipe and Y-pipe: $700 -4lbs

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
so your 42 lbs at 2750. did the pipe and can need a fuel controller? if so this brings you up to about 3k. =71.00 per pound

if you just do the real easy stuff like slp pipe kit with pcv and oil delete you can drop 30lbs for 1250.00 this includes the bdx oil delete cover. =41.00 per pound.

madmax thanks for the project write up you did a nice job.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If bang for your buck is the #1 concern then just do the Ti can and stock pipe. The jaws pipe only saves 4lbs and the fuel controller adds one lb. so you would save about $1000 by staying with stock pipe and not buying pipe and boondocker box. So for about $2000 you pull off around 40lbs.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
BDX Brake Rotor will get you a little bit and for 44 bucks its not terrible

N
No, but probably more. The cat boards are garbage!!! but the bmfab with narrow, added traction and less snow build are worth there weight in gold in the backcountry.

Hate to randomly chime in but how are the cat boards garbage? Will be getting a new set of boards for my sled at some point this winter and was looking into them. I tried them before on a sled and liked how they had forged in grips rather than clip on.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Hate to randomly chime in but how are the cat boards garbage? Will be getting a new set of boards for my sled at some point this winter and was looking into them. I tried them before on a sled and liked how they had forged in grips rather than clip on.

There's a lot of flex in the factory board and also hold a lot of snow. With an aftermarket like skinz or bmfab, you gain rigidity, allowing the forces you put in to the chassis to actually do something, as well as allowing the snow to not be kept there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
There's a lot of flex in the factory board and also hold a lot of snow. With an aftermarket like skinz or bmfab, you gain rigidity, allowing the forces you put in to the chassis to actually do something, as well as allowing the snow to not be kept there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's referring to the Cat aftermarket boards aka BDX boards. From what I understand fitment is not great and they do not hold up as well as some of the other boards (BMFab or Skinz). Some of the others on here that have ridden them/installed them can elaborate.

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
MadMax how is the sled coming along, Have you done anything else for weight loss?

Premium Features