• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does Cat Regret Building the ProClimb???

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I ain't going to read no article to convince me that 10 pound savings were all from the crank...I call bs on that.... jmho

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific, MOST of the weight loss is from the crank. I guess I would take more of the information from the engineers who BUILT the motor, and not just the guys who think they know. JMHO :face-icon-small-win

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Sorry I guess I should have been more specific, MOST of the weight loss is from the crank. I guess I would take more of the information from the engineers who BUILT the motor, and not just the guys who think they know. JMHO :face-icon-small-win

most...could mean "most" anything...look I think the engine will be likely the platform for the new 800...but I really am cautious of the spin that can be put on stuff especially from a magazine where many things can even be misquoted..

10 pounds is a lot...a lot and did I say a lot of weight to remove from a crank for a like displacement for a similar use product and I think they realize that..

SPAULDING: With the laydown design, a lot of people have asked that, and the answer is, “Why wouldn’t we?” That thing, because of its laydown design, its shape, its crankcase, it’s inherently stiff and strong. We knew it was strong, so we didn’t want to deviate too much from that. Because of the laydown concept, we have had a very durable design – probably the most durable bottom end in the industry.

EIDE: That’s probably one of the bigger answers for when people ask why they should trust a first-year motor. Well, we took a proven design — probably the best design in the industry by far in terms of strength and durability, and we didn’t want to deviate too far from it

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I don't regret having a proclimb. A friend bought an assault this year and just had to buy the last a arm in Montana for 240 bucks and he only has 100 miles. I have over 3k on my sled and just pulled my original a arms off to put 38s on. Everyone whines about the front end but they are a lot tougher than any other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I don't regret having a proclimb. A friend bought an assault this year and just had to buy the last a arm in Montana for 240 bucks and he only has 100 miles. I have over 3k on my sled and just pulled my original a arms off to put 38s on. Everyone whines about the front end but they are a lot tougher than any other

Being "tough" isn't the end game... being ENGINEERED well to take a hit & fail properly... THAT is the end game. As of right now, the only one I give that honor to on the front end is the pro.:face-icon-small-win

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
The proclimb is engineered to take a hit without damage. I have seen some hard hits on pcs with no damage. Talking to Kurt's Polaris, he has a fix kit for the pros that is a brace near the footwell because force from a hit near the ski transfers the force back to the tunnel and kinks the tunnel. That is coming from the almighty kurtis who knows I ride a cat and telling of their weak points. To each his own but I think that 3k miles on my sled with original a arms means it is engineered pretty well

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Pretty positive that cat in 2015 will have its own 800. Thats why I bought the 2014, for the suzuki 800. I wont be buying a 1st or 2nd year cat with the new 800 for sure. From what I have been hearing the new 600 has been having some growing pains already. The motor is 10pds lighter than the suzuki 600 and that means thinner castings and cylinders for the most part. Thinner and lighter doesnt mean stronger! Time will tell.

I would give that new motor 2 to 3 years, it took that long for them to get the proclimb chassis to work decent!

Solid 800 next year for sure.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The proclimb is engineered to take a hit without damage. I have seen some hard hits on pcs with no damage. Talking to Kurt's Polaris, he has a fix kit for the pros that is a brace near the footwell because force from a hit near the ski transfers the force back to the tunnel and kinks the tunnel. That is coming from the almighty kurtis who knows I ride a cat and telling of their weak points. To each his own but I think that 3k miles on my sled with original a arms means it is engineered pretty well

Another one of those posts... YAWN.:face-icon-small-dis

Enjoy the Koolaid. Oh yeah, the green stuff is coolant... you MIGHT want to stop drinking that ;)

If it weren't for the fact that I've had 3 sleds right in front of my face that COMPLETELY disagree with your amazing (nothing happens cause they're SUUPER DUUUPER TUFF) theory, I might actually think you had some basis in reality to believe what you do... but unfortunately, I live in the real world where people DO hit things, and things DO bend... the ONLY question is what.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
And I have six pcs in my group since 12 and we have replaced one a arm. Zero tunnels bulkheads, etc. and I do ride and have hit big trees, rocks etc. keep riding your xm which is already damaged and figure out what you need to do to keep her going. Good luck.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Another one of those posts... YAWN.:face-icon-small-dis

Enjoy the Koolaid. Oh yeah, the green stuff is coolant... you MIGHT want to stop drinking that ;)

If it weren't for the fact that I've had 3 sleds right in front of my face that COMPLETELY disagree with your amazing (nothing happens cause they're SUUPER DUUUPER TUFF) theory, I might actually think you had some basis in reality to believe what you do... but unfortunately, I live in the real world where people DO hit things, and things DO bend... the ONLY question is what.

Might not be right for you, but as I explained in the post below it is right for me. :face-icon-small-coo

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360704&highlight=tough

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Might not be right for you, but as I explained in the post below it is right for me. :face-icon-small-coo

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360704&highlight=tough

I'm not saying it's not stronger than the xm... sure as heck is. But when someone says that it's SOOOO strong that nothing could ever hurt it... I have to stop and return to reality where I know this isn't the case.

I've never seen a pro fold up where it was mentioned above, and I ride with a lot of them, but I have seen 3 PC's bend the lower frame. Does this mean the pro is a beast and the PC is junk...of course not, but pretending the sled is invincible is just silly.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
And I never said it was invincible. I'm sure there are big enough rocks somewhere! Heck two weeks ago I broke a piston skirt in the almighty Suzuki that never breaks down!

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
most...could mean "most" anything...look I think the engine will be likely the platform for the new 800...but I really am cautious of the spin that can be put on stuff especially from a magazine where many things can even be misquoted..

10 pounds is a lot...a lot and did I say a lot of weight to remove from a crank for a like displacement for a similar use product and I think they realize that..

SPAULDING: With the laydown design, a lot of people have asked that, and the answer is, “Why wouldn’t we?” That thing, because of its laydown design, its shape, its crankcase, it’s inherently stiff and strong. We knew it was strong, so we didn’t want to deviate too much from that. Because of the laydown concept, we have had a very durable design – probably the most durable bottom end in the industry.

EIDE: That’s probably one of the bigger answers for when people ask why they should trust a first-year motor. Well, we took a proven design — probably the best design in the industry by far in terms of strength and durability, and we didn’t want to deviate too far from it

Ill have to agree with you. It has been a while since I actually read the article, but I did recall most amount of weight loss from one part coming from the crank. Not saying it was the sole item for weight loss. The weight from the crank is the most beneficial IMO. Somewhere in the article stated the magneto being lighter as well because it didn't have to turn a mechanical pump etc.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I'm not saying it's not stronger than the xm... sure as heck is. But when someone says that it's SOOOO strong that nothing could ever hurt it... I have to stop and return to reality where I know this isn't the case.

I've never seen a pro fold up where it was mentioned above, and I ride with a lot of them, but I have seen 3 PC's bend the lower frame. Does this mean the pro is a beast and the PC is junk...of course not, but pretending the sled is invincible is just silly.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

My buddies 01 mountain cat is so super duper tough and nothing could ever hurt it and its flickable and and and.. who am I trying to kid, that things a tank :D

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Back to the original topic. What Cat does or should regret is the execution and build of all the F4 chassis product in 2012. This includes Procross and Proclimb products. This was their chance to gain tremendous market share in all segments. And they did just that for one year. They sold a lot of sleds and while there is debate as to some were good and some were bad...the truth of the matter IMO is those that were ridden hard had lots of problems. There were significant design issues and the build quality may have set an all time low standard. The poor quality of the components multiplied the problems significantly. The following year sales were weak and many riders jumped ship. Those watching to see what the 12s did...well we know they didn't buy Cat's in 2013. Sell a ton of a new model and it turns out great is real good. Sell a ton of a new model and has tons of problem is real bad. Cat is recovering from their mistakes and hopefully will never let something like this happen again. Sure the performance of the sled has gotten better and better but it was the dependability issues hurting the brand more than it did not float or flick as good as an RMK.

I was working a consumer show for the 2012 models and the Cat and Polaris booths were about evenly crowded (Ski Doo did not participate in these shows) In 2013 we saw a packed Polaris booth and very modest interest in the Cat booth. I like to look at the cup as half full and said to the Cat guys... it's not that bad...look at Polaris if they can recover from the Dragon fiasco we should be ok. 2014 show had Cat, Polaris, Ski Doo in attendance and the interest was good for all three. Yamaha was very lonely all three years

I remember talking to a very reputable performance company who does much for both Polaris and Arctic Cat sleds and was telling the rep how bad our belt situation was. He laughed and said the Cat issues could never compare with the Polaris 900 and Dragon nightmare.

I hope 2014 will see all three brands do well on the hill and make their riders happy. I expect even better stuff from Cat next year...not just BNG for sure.

Woody

Last edited:

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Dont be fooled by Polaris's marketing

Just like the Cat the Pro RMK shares a lot of chassis design with the trail sleds. Its not a 100% mtn sled.

Premium Features