• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What kind of riding do folks do??

riding type

• Technical riding, treed sidehilling type terrain

Votes: 231 74.5%
  • Meadows, lakes, low angle glades

Votes: 43 13.9%
  • Trails

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Climbing/ highmarking/ chutes

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • Jumping

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The main thing with jumping is intelligent, calculated progression. (unless you're 17, then just go big and figure it out later!) I teach a lot of folks to jump, whether it's their first 2' cornice or their first time going over 100'... it just is something I love. It's not about going bigger than Levi or Randy... it's about just opening someone's horizons to enjoy another facet of the sport.

Sleds are fun... talking about this has me stoked to go ride!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
And it just kind of surprised me, and got me thinking... I ASSUME that most people do what we do to at least some extent, but clearly if someone can think that "most" people aren't into that kind of riding, that my assumption is pretty off base, so I figured F it, just ask the question.

I know not everyone has 60 days a year to refine their riding, but all the guys that I've ever ridden with from out east or the midwest (who obviously don't ride as often)... guys like breeze, johnmaster, and a few others... they come out here & they want to bang, they head straight for the trees, and make lots of us locals feel like we need to be trying harder :D

I hate to argue the foundation of this thread, and the poll results, but I really doubt most of the 50+ people voting as treebashers, are actually treebashers. I'm not going to call anyone out, because nobody I know has chimed into this thread, but I'm going to be very skeptical of this fact.

It reminds me of when the Sledneck movies came out, all of a sudden everyone thought they were, in some way, doing what the SN crew was doing. Then TS showed us the chutes and the climbs, and everyone thought they did that too. Now the new crop of Schooled-like videos are out and BOOM, everyone thinks what they do is what they see on the videos. I just don't buy it. Personal experience tells me that most of these groups do not change the way they ride, or follow the (assumed)trend in the industry. Call it progression, call it a morphing of technology, call it whatever you like. But I'd venture a guess that 10% of riders are actually progressing like we believe we are on this forum. People may be on new XM's, PC's, and PRO's, but most of these people are still doing the same thing they've been doing since they started riding.

Guys that used to ride Indy's and Mach's that rode in the mountains to crack a beer and make a run or two up an open hillside, are on PRO's and XM's, but still doing the same thing today. The guys that were building booters 10 years ago, still gravitate to that(as long as our bones let us). Etc Etc.

I like to believe I'm in that 10% that have progressed, and because of that, I can't call out anyone else out for not progressing like we think we do. However, I'm more skeptical in thinking that the majority of people here are part of that 10%.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Hey Bcil, why didn't you put this poll over in the Doo section? I know, admit it, us Cat guys are just more fun to hang around than the Doo people. :face-icon-small-win

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I hate to argue the foundation of this thread, and the poll results, but I really doubt most of the 50+ people voting as treebashers, are actually treebashers. I'm not going to call anyone out, because nobody I know has chimed into this thread, but I'm going to be very skeptical of this fact.

It reminds me of when the Sledneck movies came out, all of a sudden everyone thought they were, in some way, doing what the SN crew was doing. Then TS showed us the chutes and the climbs, and everyone thought they did that too. Now the new crop of Schooled-like videos are out and BOOM, everyone thinks what they do is what they see on the videos. I just don't buy it. Personal experience tells me that most of these groups do not change the way they ride, or follow the (assumed)trend in the industry. Call it progression, call it a morphing of technology, call it whatever you like. But I'd venture a guess that 10% of riders are actually progressing like we believe we are on this forum. People may be on new XM's, PC's, and PRO's, but most of these people are still doing the same thing they've been doing since they started riding.

Guys that used to ride Indy's and Mach's that rode in the mountains to crack a beer and make a run or two up an open hillside, are on PRO's and XM's, but still doing the same thing today. The guys that were building booters 10 years ago, still gravitate to that(as long as our bones let us). Etc Etc.

I like to believe I'm in that 10% that have progressed, and because of that, I can't call out anyone else out for not progressing like we think we do. However, I'm more skeptical in thinking that the majority of people here are part of that 10%.

Well, for me it comes down to this:

I literally don't know ANYONE, even newer riders, that doesn't ride trees to SOME extent.
Now claiming you're riding them at the level of Burandt... that's beside the point. I've ridden with him, and while I may be "better than average" (I ride a LOT... I friggin better be pretty good by now, it's not talent, it's practice.) I'm not pretending to be at that level. That said though... that was NOT the premise of the thread, yet it seems to be to some extent what you're presuming. There's a TON of tree riding that is a blast that is at EVERY level...

Me, give me terrain like this:

3668_4838516362853_8175120_n.jpg

Mid angle, somewhat open trees so I can have some choices & I'm not crawling... and I have a blast. Doesn't have to be 50 degrees, and doesn't have to be super tight... every now & then yeah, I like that too, but it's not about riding the nastiest terrain I can, it's about making the nastiest line I can in what we've got.

6 years ago I was JUST building booters and dropping cornices, but like most people, as sleds have become easier to ride I've pushed them harder, and like most, I've ridden more & more treed terrain.

But in the end... I'd still rather be doing this given the choice ;)

577534_4869251771219_1071498079_n.jpg

It's all fun, and doesn't matter what level you're at as long as you're progressing, and let's be honest... most of us that ride trees...

THIS IS WHAT WE REALLY DO!

528252_4778658426442_636383098_n.jpg

:D

G
Jan 18, 2012
WELLL im an EASTERNER one of dem darn FLATLANDERS trying to be a SNOWESTIAN... but i voted technical/treebasher due to the fact that im always pushing my skill set. weather its trying to run over that group of alders to make it into the pines or trying to nail a windlip and crank around a 180...(still working on that.. need new rails now :-D ) we have alot of fields with HUGE drifts that pile in the middle great for jumping, and also many long open hills. they might only be 100' tall but you can really get your sidehill on. SO ALL OF THE ABOVE would definately be how i describe my riding style, WIDE OPEN, and push my friends to do the same and teach them some of the experiance i have,

Im with BCIL on pushing the sport is why i ride and why i ride a 141 with everyone with 153. ill take the challange and getting stuck, people that coast around should just carry CAMERAS haha. cant wait for SNOW BRAAP

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Hey Bcil, why didn't you put this poll over in the Doo section? I know, admit it, us Cat guys are just more fun to hang around than the Doo people. :face-icon-small-win

HAHAHA!!!

Well, let's be honest, we all know an XP is about as useful in the trees as a nytro with some weights added to the spindles!!!

I get some useful tech discussions over there, but I enjoy the group over here more. (also, the statement came from over here, so I wanted to ask over here)
It would be interesting to put this in each section & see how different sled brands ride compared to each other.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
It is all perception, and my perception of this poll was, "what kind of riding do you primarily do" Now call me lazy but I'm not gonna scroll up to read the exact wording of the poll itself.

I just know that in the areas I ride, the same groups of guys, have been doing the same thing for 5-10-15-20 years and hardly nothing has changed. In my past life as a manager of a sled shop, I used to try and bring different people riding to show them different styles of riding. Kinda hand-picked if you want. Sometimes they would become part of the regular crew, more often than not, they would go back to their original crew and do what they do. Just because you end up upside down inside of a tree once in awhile, doesn't mean you ride trees primarily. I just think more often than not, people "want" to pretend they ride the trees more than they do, when in reality they are still the ones on the trail and riding past all of us, actually riding(ok ok, more like stuck) in the trees.

My favorite thing to do is tell the group(when I'm not with my main core group of buddies) that I'll meet them "at the cabin" Don't worry about me, don't look for me, and only follow me if you want to get stuck. The looks and comments I get when I do meet back up with the group is often priceless. While they have their scratchers down still, and worried about putting snow on their rear coolers, I come out of nowhere with my handlebars and dash full of snow, shaking snow out of my helmet. Even better, is when someone comes to follow, before their 2nd or 3rd stuck, I'm pointing to where they can hook back up with the trail. Which, to their surprise, is usually a lot closer to where we are, than where they think we are.

I'm not trying to brag, because there are riders in my current group that are a lot more rounded than I am(World Champ Hillclimbers) are a part of my regular crew. So I get humbled often, but I know that we are not the majority. I see it everyday I go riding.

If you don't run out of gas, in our group, you didn't ride enough during the day. A source of serious ribbing within our core group. And the same groups that we pass on the way to the hills, are the ones passing us on the way home. We get to hear about how good of mileage they get, and that their sleds are better, blah blah blah....these are the same guys that we see ride "around" the hills instead of going thru them. The same ones that never run out of fuel. Sucks to be them. Haha It's these same guys in my hometown that buy all the latest and greatest, that talk a big game in the showroom, that start a lot of the same threads we reply to everyday asking for advice or showing off their latest "customization" without actually knowing what they are doing or why they are doing it. But it looks cool, so hey, alls right with the World right?

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Reeb, don't lie man... we all know you're just a meadow muffin!!!!:eyebrows::eyebrows:

I guess around here there are folks who go hit the meadows, but only on a really good day can you do that all day long without running out of terrain, so even to get to the meadows, you're going to ride trees.

I'd love to ride up in BC some day, seems like the terrain is very different than here... pretty sure I'd SOMEHOW enjoy myself! :D

Around here within 3 hours of my place there are only MAYBE 2 places (out of hundreds of riding areas in that range) where you could spend a day just on the trails too... I don't think I've ever met a trail rider out here though aside from rental riders.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I used to live in an area where the mtns were an hour away, but you could ride from the trailhead for hundreds of miles. Literally, the only places in Canada with more trails are in Ontario and Quebec. And this is the middle of BC!!!

So you'd think that since we have such a long ride in on a forest service road before we get to the parking lot, that would weed out some of the guys that would go to the Mtn's only to go for a Sunday Drive, but on a given day there's between 10-15 trucks in the lot, and a few times a year there are 30+ trucks.

But it's only ever the same group that disappear into the trees and run out of fuel.

Considering the Snowest Rides I've been on, the DooTalk rides, the amount of times I've seen it play out over and over again, I can't help but think that most people who "want" to be a certain type of rider on the forum, simply aren't that rider in the field.

And there's no meadows here....it's parking lot or nothing buddy!

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I mostly sit in my garage drinking beers talking about the rides out west (which usually get blown out of proportion due to our imaginations and probably the beer too :face-icon-small-hap) BUT when I do get out there, I like steep sidehills and trees. But I also like climbing steep ****, but who doesnt like steep and deep?? I got into a little bit of cornice drops last year and its a rush, I want to get into it some more this year and get a little more comfortable with it. All in all im a stupid flat lander who side hills steep railroad grades to get my fix for sidehilling.. otherwise.. I just wrench until I can get out west :face-icon-small-fro

P.S.... I LOVE riding them trails.... :D

Last edited:
O

OLD SCHOOL

Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Tough poll BCL. I mean I would feel sorry for anyone that got stuck in one type of terrain.

Here in B.C., you start on a trail, get off on the nearest meadow you pick to leave the trail and jump in and out of every creek at least five times, head into the trees as soon as everyone is in sight and try to get everyone else stuck as you work up in elevation, then you poke a couple of pokes in the alpine stopping to view on bluebird days or head back down asap when everyone is in sight on low cloud days, then jump all the way down taking the shortest route the group can handle , then you shred the last of the creeks in the meadows until the group is all in sight, then you hit the trail home and try to be all dressed and loaded before any one else comes in, all with a perma grin, all in the same day, all with the knowledge tomorrow you can do it all again but never taking the same route twice, and finally all with the knowledge that the next snow is going to cover it all up until spring.

So,,, where does that put us?

It sounds to me like you guys could come to Alaska and ride with our group anytime.

Our rides usually start at 4:00 am and end at 11:00 pm by the time we all get home.

When we leave the truck it's an all out competition to see who can pick the knarliest line through the trees or get the high mark or whatever!! (Just be the MAN)!!!

If I can get off the couch on Suday I feel like I cheated myself, I turn 56 this year and don't know how long I can keep riding as hard as I do but guarantee I will go down swinging!

For you younger guys, you need to (LEAVE It ALL ON THE FIELD) every time you go out because your body will wear out before your desire deminishes for the sport, if your a real RIDDER!!!! IMO

So get out there and get stuck! (You can sleep when your dead)!

Oh Yeah, for guys that get asked to ride with a serious group of riders, this is a privedge, make sure you have your sh!t together! Or you may never be asked to come again!

We have a few unwritten and unspoken rules that you need to follow.
1. Never ask when we're headed back to the truck. (No bitching! we can all stay home and get that).
2. Never forget your gas can.
3. Never leave anyone behind.
4. Always help your bros get unstuck.
5. If you beat me... Your an *** hold! LOL
6. Be safe, probably should be #1 but who considers what we do SAFE?
7. Don't be late!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I lie to climb the steep stuff- Scare the He!! out of myself

Feel the Rush and then do it again. but Typically we ride the trail to get to the good stuff, then we cut through the trees to get to the bowls, then we bang the hills, then we hunt for fresh untracked snow, we go around the bend, drop to the bottom, hit the creeks, look for jumps, maybe a small drop or two off the Cornice. i don't do big drops or big jumps don't want to bend my factory rails. but in a given day pretty much do it all. DEEP and Fresh are always the best days. the best days are when you've run out of gas and you haven't even put 25 miles on your sled.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I wanted to click all of the above because we go so many different places and ride so many different types of terrain. We ride trails to get where we are going then get lost. We do open climbs, ride in the trees, jump and drop (just getting into it), ride creeks, and search for the fresh. I wouldn't recommend talking to me while we are on the trail because i'm just in an overly pissed off mood. I can't stand meadow mashing either unless the snows too deep to do much else. Last year I got out 9 times and went to 7 different places. It is always an adventure getting into new terrain.

Uploaded with ImageShack.usUploaded with ImageShack.usUploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Premium Features