• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ProClimb weight loss

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
A lot of PC owners are lookin at thousands of dollars of light weight stuff to compete with the 2013 Pro, and with this light weight mod talk is showing that the PC could drop 40 pounds. BUT, can Cat find a way to do the 40 pounds from the factory? Will their Cat made DI800 motor help or add weight like Skidoo's DI did?

Or will Cat continue to build a Skidoo?:face-icon-small-dis

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Will their Cat made DI800 motor help or add weight like Skidoo's DI did?

Or will Cat continue to build a Skidoo?:face-icon-small-dis

You don't lose weight with a motor, you lose weight by giving a crap about the mountain segment & understanding that weight DOES matter, and it's not just a small thing. Looking at the 2013... Cat CLEARLY has no clue about what works in a mountain sled.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The Poo motor is more than 15 pounds lighter that the Suzuki. I guess I'm wondering what the Cat DI will weigh? If it weighs 15 pounds more than the current Suzuki, there's no way the PC will ever be anywhere close to 440#.

I still have faith Cat will come around and refine the PC to be a real mountain sled.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
You don't lose weight with a motor, you lose weight by giving a crap about the mountain segment & understanding that weight DOES matter, and it's not just a small thing. Looking at the 2013... Cat CLEARLY has no clue about what works in a mountain sled.

I don't get it. If they are really that bad sell your Cat, hang around on the Poo forum instead and get a move on. Otherwise, it doesn't say much when somebody continually complains yet keeps coming back. Several Doo and Poo owners rode my LE and nobody thought anyones sled was that superior or that bad. For those with prima donna riding styles, or think they do, get a custom sled specifically for your world class riding style and leave the rest of us in peace. Getting of the soapbox now.:baby:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I don't get it. If they are really that bad sell your Cat, hang around on the Poo forum instead and get a move on. Otherwise, it doesn't say much when somebody continually complains yet keeps coming back. Several Doo and Poo owners rode my LE and nobody thought anyones sled was that superior or that bad. For those with prima donna riding styles, or think they do, get a custom sled specifically for your world class riding style and leave the rest of us in peace. Getting of the soapbox now.:baby:

THANK YOU:hail::hail::hail:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Glad we had that talk.:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I'm stuck with cat because I won't be victim to what I see from most of my friends with Poo's... motor problems.

The poo motor is an unreliable POS, they can claim all they want that's not the fact, but it is. the percentage of failures I've seen PROHIBIT me from getting one & modding it.

The cat chassis on the other hand is a trail sled with a long track, claim all you want that this isn't the case... but it is.

The cat is heavy, handles MUCH worse going downhill, and was built with clearly not much thought to the 2 stroke or the mountain segment in general.

I choose the cat for the reasons above, I can deal with the poor chassis, but I can't deal with a motor that costs $4k to replace & that I will NEED to replace, so here I am.

If you think it's that great... you're in a serious minority my friend, look around you, SOOOO many people are switching to poo despite the POS motor, because it's a much better/ lighter sled. Next year I'm taking my wife's PC & boosting it, and buying her a pro. She thinks she can deal with a stock sled for another year, so I'll let her do what she wants. I can't... so I'm stuck with Cat.

I'm not going to get into the wyoboy argument of "if you don't see the shortcomings of this sled... you're not riding hard enough" but that's the reality of it. There is a reason most of the serious cat riders around here switched in the last 2 years. Even more will switch this year because the 13 is a joke, and the 13 pro took HUGE leaps.

We're falling behind BADLY. If you don't see it... I guess you're who cat is looking for, they're lucky to have guys like you & Dave. I still like cat, I'm still riding a cat, but I'm not happy about what they're doing & I'm not just going to walk away & sit in a corner because of it.

Btw... as to the custom sled... that's exactly what I'll have. Look at my 11, it's nothing like what it started as, and I expect that to be the case with the 12 as well.

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
In 2008 my new M8 wasn't the best out of the box sled and was totally cool with that. Only because I new what mods it needed to be an awesome mtn sled. Really no different this year with the PC in that it only takes a few mods to set this sled up to be better than the competition. But then the competition has really stepped it up this year! So it takes a thousand more to make this PC better that it took to make the M series. The main problem as far as I'm concerned is the simple things! Little things that add up to one big thing! And that's first impression!

The Pro is mountain ready! It's obvious by first looks!

The Proclimb is a trail sled with a long track! It's obvious by first looks!

I'm very passionate about steep and deep powder riding and love my Cat! The Proclimb sucks! Because ALL THE LITTLE THINGS!

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm very passionate about steep and deep powder riding and love my Cat! The Proclimb sucks! Because ALL THE LITTLE THINGS!

And even though I know that & am not afraid to say that... give me some time & some $$ and I'll have it eating a pro for lunch! The difference, that pro was able to ride right off the floor & go rip.:rockon:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
As to the ProClimb being a trail sled with a long track, so were the M and the Mountain Cat and the Powder Special. Loved my long track Firecat....err...M8 and look forward to the new '13 showing up any day now.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
As to the ProClimb being a trail sled with a long track, so were the M and the Mountain Cat and the Powder Special. Loved my long track Firecat....err...M8 and look forward to the new '13 showing up any day now.

But those didn't HANDLE like a trail sled... the suspension design of the M worked the way a mountain sled should, and took hits like a mtn sled should.

The PC quite simply doesn't. It was designed to be a sick trail sled, and it is.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008

BTW the M series was not a trail sled, the firecat/ F series was. two different sleds. i will however agree with the other two.

IMHO ill wait until they catch up to poo and even doo. i just couldn't handle stock for stock having the AC lose by numerous leaps. I shouldn't have to drop 3 grand extra to make it go the same places my 07 will go.

also IMO if they use it for a factory race sled it was never meant for the mountains. IE old ZRs, Firecat, *proclimb* cough cough

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Then lets talk about the things that can be done, not continually harping. Lots of good threads on weight loss, front end work, tunnel tweaks, etc. Cat might pay attention to mods everyone is doing, but do you think they're saying 'hey, theres that bunch of guys bitchin again'?.

Maybe I'm happy that I can just ride again after a couple of back surgeries, always loved sleds with a ditch running roots, and the fact that just about any sled these days will get you places that boggle the mind, and that the most fun part is just goofing with your friends.

Lifes too short to complain too much and if the frickin thing was perfect what the hell would I dream about moddin? And what the hell are we doing in the middle of summer thinking about these things?! At least we both have passion for these stupid machines! Lol

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Then lets talk about the things that can be done, not continually harping. Lots of good threads on weight loss, front end work, tunnel tweaks, etc. Cat might pay attention to mods everyone is doing, but do you think they're saying 'hey, theres that bunch of guys bitchin again'?.

Maybe I'm happy that I can just ride again after a couple of back surgeries, always loved sleds with a ditch running roots, and the fact that just about any sled these days will get you places that boggle the mind, and that the most fun part is just goofing with your friends.

Lifes too short to complain too much and if the frickin thing was perfect what the hell would I dream about moddin? And what the hell are we doing in the middle of summer thinking about these things?! At least we both have passion for these stupid machines! Lol

Hey... once I'm tossing my leg over this thing on a daily basis... I'll have a stack of things I'm doing, and I'll be the first to try a few things likely. I'll be trying the BDX spindle... and will be happy to let folks know one way or the other whether it's a good mod or not. I was the first one to do the delete on the 12, and wrote a gargantuan how to on that for folks, I'm not afraid to be helpful.

BUT,

It's summer, it's hot, the snow has been gone for approximately forever... what do you expect me to do other than BI*CH????:baby::baby:

And the 2013 coming out with no real fixes is a SERIOUS let down imo, it's really frustrating, so you see a wave of bi*chin again. It'll pass.:face-icon-small-win

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Ok, how to say this?

Took my pro to a RRS course in Sweden this March. Bret and a couple of guys here rode proclimbs with turbos. Sure, that gave them the power advantage, but their riding!!!

Bret you would expect to be in league of his own, and he was. Specially when guys tried to hang on him for more than five mins...

But those proclimbs went everywhere, straight up in the steep and deep. Then straight down again, stopped halfway and went back up. And not just Bret.

Guess you cant argue pure numbers when they're both on the scales and I hope Cat will redeem themselves on the mountain chassis.

My bottom line is, those sleds rode WELL in steep and deep terrain, take it from there.

Think snow.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
You guys are confusing the hell out of me, just gettin back in the game, rode Cat for years, then saw the new 08 Doo Summit XP, light and def high tech compared to Cat, had to switch, now looking to upgrade, my dealer sells Cat and Doo, the new Cats are sweet, head to head with Doo, though I heard Doo was doing a suit against Cat for stealing their design, thinking of going back to Cat, but them Poo's look real nice too and 417 lbs. for a 800, damn! So you guys are saying Pro (Poo) and Pro Climb (Cat), or old M style vs. new Cat Pro chassis do I got it right ?? They're all nice, but with what they cost, I'm looking for the best bang out of the box, and I think light is king!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Light weight is king, only if you're riding the machine at it's extreme limits. The new Cats are awesome! Don't mistake that! The problem is, in order to take the Cat to the same extreme as the Poo Pro you have to have mods. Plane and simple. A 60 pound weight difference is HUGE! But then there's things like skiis and snow flaps and bumpers and air intakes and seats and handle bar and skids and belly pans. The list is too damn long the things Cat needs to change in order to be an extreme mountain sled. Like I said it's ALL the little things! The motor and chassis ABSOLUTELY ROCK! BUT ITS ALL THE OTHER STUFF THAT MAKE IT A TRAIL SLED.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
In the northeast mountains we got steep and deep, maybe not bottomless like you guys out west, but almost everything we do is in the tight trees, lots of times we don't have the chance to turn out of a pull. So weight is a huge factor if you get buried and trying to maneuver thru the tight stuff and make it to the top without getting buried, as much as I love my Cats, if the Poo is 60 lbs. lighter with the same power and a better chassis, and like you said, " you need to do mods to take the cat to the same extreme as the Poo, for the same money, why not just go Poo and remove all the decals so you really don't know what you're riding LOL. I hate to do it but thats what I did in 08, I was getting a much better sled with the Doo in 08 than an outdated 5 or 6 yr. old Cat chassis it was a no brainer. Like i said i love my Cats, but what is my reason to stay with Cat, other than brand loyalty, which every year almost seems to be with whoever has the better sled, Cat is slipping, it's too bad.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
I hear the power is sweet, but the weight is killer unless you got wide open stuff like big meadows and long open pulls, any trees , ugh, I think I'd rather buy a 2 stroke and with the money saved, add a turbo, and I think it would still be lighter.

Premium Features