• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help From Experienced Cat Owners

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
My son is looking into buying a new Cat. He is riding a 2010 M6 (wife's sled) and wants to get his own M8. I do not ride a Cat other than occasionally the M6 after doing some maintenance so I do not feel I am knowledgable enough to give him good info. Would he be better off to find a 2010 or 2011 M8 or should he be looking at a 2012 Pro Climb? He is not real big into steep climbs, more boondocking and tree riding. 5' 8" tall and 150 lbs. of muscle. All opinions and comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
I'm 16, and my Dad just bought me a 2012 ProClimb, I'm coming off an '05 M7.

The M-Series has a lot more room for error when everything is at factory settings, but I feel with some very minor and easy to do suspensions adjustments the Proclimb becomes a better or just as good sled. The 2010, 2011 & 2012 all have the same motor, the 2012 has a different chassis though. The 2011 has better stock clutching.

Keep in mind though, the Pro-Climb takes a little bit more cash to make mountain friendly, because you need a bag, because from the factory it comes with no storage.

I can do things on my Pro-Climb I couldn't do on my M7, partly because I feel like it responds to my input better and partly because the M7's suspension was never set up that well.

I was going to be doing some suspension adjustments to the M7, but my dad offered to buy me a Pro-Climb instead. I've also rebuilt the motor in the M7 on my own.

Anyway you go, they're all awesome sleds, and extremely durable.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I agree. I think it depends on your wallet. You can find 10's and 11's out there right now at some great prices right now. My 11 is basically brand new with only 140 miles and I think I'd be doing good to get 9k out of it. And in my opinion the 11's are rock solid reliable. Clutching is pretty close from the factory and the set up is usable from the factory.

I've also seen 12's for around 10500 brand new. But the jury is still a little out on those. It seems like some are belt eaters and some are not. That said, it would not stop me personally from buying one because I like to work on them.

If I was recommending one to a friend or to someone that was looking for the most reliable sled I would prob recommend a nice used 11. :peace:

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
I agree. I think it depends on your wallet. You can find 10's and 11's out there right now at some great prices right now. My 11 is basically brand new with only 140 miles and I think I'd be doing good to get 9k out of it. And in my opinion the 11's are rock solid reliable. Clutching is pretty close from the factory and the set up is usable from the factory.

I've also seen 12's for around 10500 brand new. But the jury is still a little out on those. It seems like some are belt eaters and some are not. That said, it would not stop me personally from buying one because I like to work on them.

If I was recommending one to a friend or to someone that was looking for the most reliable sled I would prob recommend a nice used 11. :peace:

What this guy said!

Just as he said, some of the proclimbs have problems, some don't. I've never heard of a local '11 with any major problems.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would go with the M, then lighten it up and setup the suspension, (revalve and geo mod). Its a better learning sled than the PC, the PC is easier to a point but if he rides hard it wont be long before he's to the point the M would do more. But the M take a little more effort in some areas but more capable.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I would go with the M, then lighten it up and setup the suspension, (revalve and geo mod). Its a better learning sled than the PC, the PC is easier to a point but if he rides hard it wont be long before he's to the point the M would do more. But the M take a little more effort in some areas but more capable.
He has been riding the M6 for 2 years so he is used to that chassis. He is just finally getting his confidence up and is riding much better. Just needs more HP now.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009

I ride hard, and I can definitely do more on the PC than the M, but yes, the M is a much easier sled as far as learning goes.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Stick with the M series. Its less money, handles really well, is fully developed and tested. The new platform was rushed into production to line up with their 50th anniversary, IMHO it needs another full year of testing, it may be great someday but not right now.

If I could redo my purchase this year it would be a hold over M8 or a Polaris, then maybe I would be riding instead of wrenching.

Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited:
D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
Definitely recommend a '10 or '11 M8. As far as stock sleds go, they were just dialed from the factory. Obviously always some improvements to be had, but for a stock sled it will perform. Rock solid reliable, super easy to ride, and very affordable now... can't go wrong. :face-icon-small-win

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If you have the money and want an M, for sure get a 10' or an 11'. The PC is far superior in every way. I would never go back to a sled with the diamond drive. Even though the PC has the same motor as the M, the power delivery to the track is significantly better. With 0/0/0 financing right now with Cat, find a good sled at your dealer. Any of the 10-12' sleds qualify. I know of a few in Utah if you are interested.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I ride hard, and I can definitely do more on the PC than the M, but yes, the M is a much easier sled as far as learning goes.

The PC sucks in down hill sidehill decents, the M is a handful at times but way more capable. Same with a regular sidehill the M holds a better line, the pro fights you. But this is the extreme and the kid wont be pushing it that far for a bit. The power and suspension is better on the PC.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Depending on budget, 09-11 are all great with most of the chassis refinements being the same. 10-11 models have more hp, but you can do alittle work to an 09 (less than $1k with some used parts) to give it as much of more hp than a stock 10-11, still reliable.
I'd go for a '10-11 but if i found a comparable condition 09 for more than $1500 less, I 'd get it if $ was a concern.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've seen a lot of 10-11 primary clutches fail lately, not sure why. If its newer try and get one with a warranty, if you can find a good low mile clean 09 m8 they are great sleds for the right price, I would not go any older than 09.

Premium Features