• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat copyright infringement

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
BRP is reaching pretty far on this one. Interesting to read the terms and conditions of the suit. Boy, as a former BRP fan I am really starting turn my allegiance for the long term away from them. Agree with the above post about why no suit filed in March when product was released. So what this tells the consumer is that BRP sales are in the tank and that this is one way for them to fight back. Watch this one develop, I work in an industry that we have seen patent infringement cases shut companies production and product pipelines down for years at a time. Hopefully for ACAT this is a frivolous suit and is just company bickering over sales

T

tonypierce

Nov 17, 2009
Ridiculous

Is ski-doo really that desperate to think that arctic would borrow from a rev chassis that has been around for several years...I guess Ford should be suing the other manufacturer's for using assembly line technology...

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Dudes, do some of you not understand how this works? The OEM's are constantly jousting with each other over tech, i.e., history includes lots of peeps who think they were infringed - coupling blocks (poo), laydown front induction/exhaust (cat), batteryless EFI (cat), engine reverse (doo), etc., and stealing from the little guy (simmons). They are constantly infringing or thinking about it, and at the same time, threatening to sue for infringement.

They buy each other's sleds, and reverse engineer them - if you could see the R&D lot in TRF, or Valcourt, there are certain other OEM's sled sitting there (they usually gotta wait to actually buy them in the fall, that's why this takes awhile when the new sleds come out - duh). Cat and poo used to just trade race sleds halfway between TRF and Rosseau. It's the way the biz works. Racing is just a manifestation of the same thing - cheating on the edge. Yep, they also come up with new and incredible designs. And they 'liberate' others. When someone notices and they can't make a deal, it gets escalated to the legal beagles.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
"PERHAPS" the reason why a suit wasn't filed in March, was that it was a "PROTOTYPE." Now that they are in production, a suit can be filed. From what I know about patent law, there needs to be a 10% change from what is patened, to not be in "enfringement." Is there?

Ace

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
yes as a doo rider, i someone thought the rev and proclimb seamed similar, but think this whole thing of copy right is a crock, what are they thinking here, pi$$ of more potenial buyers, i think they better grow up dam quick, and build even a better product, than spend money on this stupid law suit

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The little guy can still win against the big, deep pocket, companies like BRP. Val Simmons is a perfect example of that. BRP tried to steal his ski design a couple years back. I think Val came out on top on that one. Sucks though. A law suite, no matter how frivolous, takes a lot of time and money for both sides. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Three years in court, a bunch of breifs filed, a sumary judgement entered and then a settlement just before trial. Thats what got Poo the electronic reverse and Doo the right to use the geometry of the trailing arm technology. In the end we as consumers win due to the best technologies from each manufacturer filters to our sleds.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT

Hope they do. If post was more vertical, Doo would be #1.:face-icon-small-win Maybe all Skidoo is trying to get is use of the assembly that allows the Cats to have vertical steering. I've been thinking of trying try something along those lines on my XP. Only other thing I could see is Doo is worried Cat might sue them to try and get some Evinrude technology when they start to build there own motors. Doo might just be trying to get a "leg up" in a future legal battle.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Seeing how cat sales are up and they can't even get the sleds out fast enough, with a lawsuit and the right judge BRP could shut down production and sales of all remaining cat. Yeah its f cked up but if they had the right judge it would be a done deal. Maybe someone should tell them it wont help them because 90% of the people would take the Poo.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I did not realize that there was so many "connected" people on snowest who actually had firsthand knowledge on market share of sales. The numbers arent even published yet and the dealers haven't gotten all their product, and people are speculating on gross sales. Im sure if Arctic Cat had delivered their units on time their wouldnt have been near the influx of sales as some people are seeing. My Doo dealer here has sold all of his units for the season and my Polarius dealer is desperately searching for more units. So it would seem it could be a bumper year for all the manufacturers.

Back to topic:
I really thought my poo was a doo rev rip off and thought there would have been some sort of copyright thing going on there. Guess the must have come to some sort of agreement behind closed doors. Im sure this dipute will get settled and we will all benefit. Maybe poo will get the rights to the suzuki patents when cat starts building their own motors.

Premium Features