• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for some wisdom!

A
Dec 8, 2011
I just picked up a stock '96 powder special with 400 miles on it. Brought it to my home in Las Vegas to tinker with over the winter. Plan on taking it to my cabin(8500') when its ready. It idles, but thats about it. I disconnected the MAC. I swapped the 50 pilot for a 40. I swapped the 370 mains for 310's. She now runs super crisp with throttle response like a sport bike. So here is my question. I have read that the only way to really know if it is jetted properly is to let it out and check the plugs. Problem is last time it snowed here there were dinosaurs walking around. Is there another way to know????

A
Dec 8, 2011
Yes, rule of thumb is that if it runs perfect here, drop 4 jet sizes for that elevation. I already have 270's ready to install. I guess I might just have take it up and test it there. Oh, well.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The 96' 580 ps came with 35 pilots and 340 mains. I don't have the elevation jetting charts. Always jet big and work down.

A
Dec 8, 2011
The belt cover says it is supposed to have 410's down to 380's depending on temp at sea level. The guy I bought it from only had it serviced at the dealer he bought it at in Utah(6000') and he said it always ran great. However, I found a bunch of old plugs in the trunk and they were all black. It had 50's for pilots and 370 mains. It ran horribly at sea level and obviously worse at our local mtn(8000'). I dropped the mains to 350's. That made no difference. That's when I decided to scrap everything and go old school. I came up with the setup I have now just from what I learned in the forums. I guessed. Got lucky on the first try, I think.

Premium Features