• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removal of old flywheel and install of new one

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Hi guys, couple questions. I am replacing the 02 flywheel with an 04. Sled is 04 800 Escape.

1.) is the job easier if the motor is out of the sled or is it easier if the motor is still in the sled.

2.) when the new flywheel goes on is there only one way it goes on or does it have to be installed in some exact position relative to the stator to ensure correct timing? How do I know what the exact position is?

3.) what is the significance of the timing strip on the outside of the flywheel? Is the timing strip relative to the install?

Thanks!! The shop manual really didnt answer these questions in any detail.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
Hi guys, couple questions. I am replacing the 02 flywheel with an 04. Sled is 04 800 Escape.

1.) is the job easier if the motor is out of the sled or is it easier if the motor is still in the sled.

2.) when the new flywheel goes on is there only one way it goes on or does it have to be installed in some exact position relative to the stator to ensure correct timing? How do I know what the exact position is?

3.) what is the significance of the timing strip on the outside of the flywheel? Is the timing strip relative to the install?

Thanks!! The shop manual really didnt answer these questions in any detail.

Thanks again.

2 The crank and flywheel are keyed, it will only go on 1 way
3 the strip is there to shoot a timing light after when engine is running

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
No difference in or out of sled if you have the right tools. In fact, it might be a little easier with it in as you can hold the motor steady (or the chassis does) while you work on it.

sled_guy

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
With a polaris crank you should stuff as much of a shop rag into the mag side spark plug hole as you can, that will keep the crank from turning. Just running a bar through the clutch ususally works but you take the risk of twisting the crank if the nut is on too tight. Look at a online parts finch and make sure the 02' and 04' have the same part number. The placement of the keyway and stator bolt holes have to be the same.

Premium Features