• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turning the 1100T into crazy boondocking sled. HOW?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
So I really like the idea of the 1100 Turbo but I love riding tight technical trees. The first thing I would do is put the vertical steering post on. What would be some good ideas to make this sled into a bad a$$ boondocker. What to do to ligthen her up a bit to where its closer to the 800.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
loose a ton of weight is the only way, i love it when they say it doesn't feel heavy when they ride it. does it feel heavy when its stuck;) just couldn't see ever being happy in the trees with a sled that is over 100 pounds heavier, good luck with that!!!

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I guess if you want an 800 it's 100 lbs heavier and

If you want a four stroke is 60 lbs heavier. Funny ain't it?

Where do people get their figures?

Owen

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
hmmm.... tree riding..... a four stroke.... how long until a yamaha diehard posts a video of turbos going through 150 foot wide gaps in the "trees"?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
OK, well I cant PROVE this so it is simply an observation by this old guy but....

I did get to ride that one 1100T mule with the vertical post and 38 in wide a arms, still heaver than M800 of course but it sure FELT easier to throw around and was a lot of fun, for the guys that can get used to the weight of the 4 stroke this is going to be a very fun sled

177 HP at 10'000 feet is hard to ignore and 200+ is very easy

but in the end I snow checked the M800, but next year???

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I was just throwing out an idea of how it could be done or if possible. I'll tell you it feels better then the nytros

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
We know that cat is saying 565# on the sled weight (bulletin to dealers from Arctic Cat)
I have a reliable source on this forum that says it's an easy 40# of weight removal and anything after that will be small increments and probably the average $100/per lb.

At the 565# (I'm being optimistic and calling that crated weight)
-40#
+48# 8 gallons fuel (hopefully she just sips fuel)
You should be leaving the parking lot at 573#

Of the 3 stock 800's they leave the parking lot at 530-550# so your talking 25-40# difference depending on what sled your comparing to.

Everybody that has ridden one says that it needs the vert steering post, most people love the narrow ski stance, the hp is a no brainer.

If everything that I've described above was either true/included with the sled I'd say cat has one He!! of a boondocking/hillclimbing monster in their hands.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
They're all heavy when your stuck.

The more HP you have the more you have to work in the trees. A blip of the throttle just gets you further into trouble LOL with a big block.

So like clutching I guess, you have to find the balance for you. Are you a 177 HP man (or girl) or are you a 140 hp man (or girl). I know which one I am at my age and am not embarassed to say it. I'm not 50 anymore.

Everyone is ignoring the 1100 N/A. It's power delivery may make it the best boondocker below 6000'. All depends on the trees and rider.

This may bring out the chest bounding but i've seen some great tree riding done with 600's and 700's along side of 800's in the same chassis (meaning weight was no issue). And, I've seen the difference between 700 and 800's in the same chassis on a hill.

What you really need and what you think you really need may be different but we are all hoping we really need what are egos think we really need LOL.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Really to make a boon docking machine form the 1100t will of course be doable it just comes down to how much money you want to spend, look at some of the lighter nytro builds under 500 lbs but they guys have 30k plus into them.

My 2cents you want to make a boon docker out of an 1100t... Put an 800 cc 2 stroke in it and call it a pc800.

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
99% of the people here, haven't rode the m1100 sled yet, but giving you a advice what to do?!

how serious is that.

So I really like the idea of the 1100 Turbo but I love riding tight technical trees. The first thing I would do is put the vertical steering post on. What would be some good ideas to make this sled into a bad a$$ boondocker. What to do to ligthen her up a bit to where its closer to the 800.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
We know that cat is saying 565# on the sled weight (bulletin to dealers from Arctic Cat)
I have a reliable source on this forum that says it's an easy 40# of weight removal and anything after that will be small increments and probably the average $100/per lb.

At the 565# (I'm being optimistic and calling that crated weight)
-40#
+48# 8 gallons fuel (hopefully she just sips fuel)
You should be leaving the parking lot at 573#

Of the 3 stock 800's they leave the parking lot at 530-550# so your talking 25-40# difference depending on what sled your comparing to.

Everybody that has ridden one says that it needs the vert steering post, most people love the narrow ski stance, the hp is a no brainer.

If everything that I've described above was either true/included with the sled I'd say cat has one He!! of a boondocking/hillclimbing monster in their hands.

how do you go about losing the 40#'s? I don't know much about 4strokes but u lose some of that in the can right?

800 162 snopro is 470# how do you come up with 530-550?

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
how do you go about losing the 40#'s? I don't know much about 4strokes but u lose some of that in the can right?

I'm not sure where the 40# weight loss is, but a reliable source told me that it is easily shed. I would guess can is a major part of it.

800 162 snopro is 470# add 66# of fuel, and 4# of oil. 540#+/-

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
been thinking about the 1100.but if that 60 extra #s is all on the front end,engine.i just dont know if id like that.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV

I was actually off a little bit with my weights, the ski doo is the heaviest of the 3.

Poo pro 458 dry 530 wet
doo xp 495 dry 561 wet
cat m8 482 dry 553 wet

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
How about this idea?
Wait and buy a hold over 1100NA and save $1000.00 (not a lot of hype around this sled so I think there will be hold overs)

Put a supercharger kit on gaining big power and lose 10lbs at the same time

I

Ironmanstl

Nov 10, 2008
Coming off a Turbo Nytro I can tell you power doesn't do squat for you in the trees. Hilarious to think the 1100 is going to perform much different than the nytro in the trees. It is a four stroke pig, just as the nytro is. All the additional weight is in the front end, which makes it difficult to substantially lighten up. Granted a 4 stroke will get good mileage, be more reliable, and run forever. These type of sleds really only have one purpose in my opinion, boost them up and aim. Don't get caught in the fantasy that it wlll handle anything like a modern 2 stroke.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I was one of the lucky few who rode this sled at the dealer demo ride. I am a turbo 4 stroke rider for 4 years. I ride with guys that boondock a lot and love technical riding. I don't kid myself that I can go everywhere they go and they don't kid themselves into thinking they can climb what I do. I can jump on their sleds and visa versa for doing what each one does best. No one is going to make a 4 stroke a better boondocker than a 2 stroke ever, it's about weight and that will never be the same.

That being said, to build my sled again is well over 30k. I can buy a stock sled that can shed 20lbs for free and be lighter than my lightweight Apex is. A highjacker box and a 2860 has you around 300hp.

If you want to be a little better on the climbing side of things then ride a 4 stroke. It's not like you can't ride trees, you just can't ride them as tight. If trees are the majority of your riding, buy a 2 stroke. A turbo 2 stroke, like guys I ride with, probably give you the best of both worlds.

After riding 300+ it's tough for me to be happy, even on a pump gas 2 stroke. I'll give up some trees, or have a lot harder time with them, to have that. I ride a rear mount to boot so the front mount seems substantially more smooth in the trees.

Most guys know what they are getting into when they go to a 4 stroke. There are sacrifices. As for the hipe....pretty tough to get 2 stroke guys excited about more weight even if it means more power. Ask a 4 stroke guy who now has a choice, and a very good one at that, if he's excited. I'm not a Cat guy, I'm a 4 stroke guy. This is a very good start into that market. As a bonus it is the same chassis as the 2 stroke Cat, not a whole different chassis.

I know how many guys have had seat time on this thing. Tough to offer an opinion from the keyboard on how it does or doesn't do things....:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
Premium Features