• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XCR 440 Mod Questions

B
Sep 20, 2010
I am buying a 1993 XCR 440 tomorrow. I am planning on doing an extensive amount of work on it in the coming weeks to make it a fun sled to ride anywhere. I will be swapping skid to an XTRA 10 for sure or and edge if that is possible? Up front I would like to add walker evans shocks out of a Pro X or IQ. I understand that I will need longer radius rods and steering rods but I have no idea how to make those measurements. Any information on how to make the radius rods and steering rod measurement would be more than helpful.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Most if not all of that is possible, I am in the process of taking a 93 Storm and updating it and making a mountain sled out of it.. As for the rear suspension, you can put in either the xtra 10 or an edge skid, but you will need to drill new mounting holes and depending where they are, you will either need to move the support bracket or add another one. As for the front suspension, longer radius rods and tie rods are a must. I upgraded mine to 16" CTC fox shocks and all new aluminum radius rods, tie rods etc. i would have to go measure them to make sure of the measurement... If you want, I have a build thread in Performance/Modified that shows some pics of the new front end and the xtra 10 in the rear. its called "old school IRON" if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and i can help you out some more... have fun

CK

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If you haven't bought the rear skid yet, hold out for an Edge. I never liked the Xtra-10 due to its massive weight and lack of adjustment. The Xtra-Lite or Edge would be better and shouldn't be too much different in price

One thing you might research is the caster angle of the trailing arms when it is lifted with longer shocks. You will in effect be taking caster away from the front end and it will steer goofy compared to other sleds, and twitchy on downhill runs.

You will likely end up putting smaller drivers on to accommodate a larger lug track unless you do a full drop and roll. If you change drivers, make sure they are the ones with the metal rings around the support collars. I tried some of the cheaper ones without the metal rings on my XLT and the drive shaft spun in the drivers and left me walking.

Premium Features