• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bell Helmets

S

slednutz

Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone, MN
www.theslednutz.com
Does anybody ride with a bell helmet, I am looking at picking up a moto 8 for next year and was just wondering if anyone else rode with them in the mountains and what they thought about them.

thanks

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
he283g01.jpg

We started using DH mtn bike helmets a few years ago, they weigh about 1/2 what the traditional moto helmets weigh. This one above is a DOT approved helmet that weighs the same as the DH helmets. (rockgardn blacklight) The difference that you feel at the end of the day when you have 1.5 lb less on your head is amazing. It blows me away that we accept these obnoxiously heavy helmets that are on the market when obviously they can be made much lighter.

Not what you were talking about at all, but something to think about.

I ride with a Giro Remedy, love this thing.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
get ahold of thefullmonte on here....end of the discussion on what helmet will work for your needs. the guy is good.

I'd be wary of anything not made for motor sports......

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
I ride with the Moto 8. Excellent fit and light weight for a motorsports helmet. Keeps my head warm but never sweaty or hot, good airflow. Bought the year old version for about half price. Check around for deals.

Only problem I had is I lightly dropped it on the snowmobile rail and the top rear air vent cowl cracked. I would like that area to be stronger but I am sure they are trying to save weight too.

If your keeping it under 40mph I bet the mountain bike helmets are fine. Thats probably the impact range they are designed for. If you go faster a heavier duty helmet is probably wise.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I ride with the Moto 8. Excellent fit and light weight for a motorsports helmet. Keeps my head warm but never sweaty or hot, good airflow. Bought the year old version for about half price. Check around for deals.

Only problem I had is I lightly dropped it on the snowmobile rail and the top rear air vent cowl cracked. I would like that area to be stronger but I am sure they are trying to save weight too.

If your keeping it under 40mph I bet the mountain bike helmets are fine. Thats probably the impact range they are designed for. If you go faster a heavier duty helmet is probably wise.

just a thought...it isn't just speed you are dealing with. Consider what you may hit? Consider how hard/sharp/heavy a sled is....and consider that might be hitting you.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
MOTO 8

I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO GET A MOTO8 FROM OUR REP (WE ARE A BELL DEALER) TO TRY LAST SEASON. I GOT THE SNOW KIT WITH IT WHICH CONSISTED OF A WINDSTOPPER LINER AND A BREATH BOX. THE SNOW KIT IS REALLY NICE IF ITS COLD OUT BECAUSE THE MOTO8 HAS LOTS OF VENTING AND CAN BE A BIT CHIILLY IF ITS BELOW 20ISH. WE RIDE PRETTY HARD AND MOSTLY BACKCOUNTRY, AND I FOUND THE WINDSTOPPER LINER TO BE A BIT HOT FOR SPRING RIDING CONDITIONS SO I SWITCHED BACK TO THE STANDARD LINER AND IT REALLY HELPED WITH THE SWEATING! I REALLY LIKED THE FIT AND WEIGHT OF THE HELMET AND AS STATED EARLIER THE VENTS IN THE BACK ARE FRAGILE. THEY MAKE REPLACEMENT VENT/VISOR KITS THAT ARE REASONABLY PRICED SO DONT LET THAT STOP YOU FROM BUYING ONE. OVERALL, VERY NICE HELMET THAT HAS A GREAT FITTING AND FUNCTIONING BREATH BOX WHICH IS FAIRLY HARD TO COME BY THESE DAYS. I WOULD RECCOMEND THIS HELMET.

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
Worland, WY
just a thought...it isn't just speed you are dealing with. Consider what you may hit? Consider how hard/sharp/heavy a sled is....and consider that might be hitting you.

I agree! I would go for a motocross helmet over a mountain bike helmet, I have had some pretty bad wrecks and totalled out some helmets (some of them not going that fast)! Bell makes a great product would recommend there products!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Sorry, but take a look at the surroundings near a downhill course, the odds that you'll ever encounter that type of terrain sledding.

The blacklight helmet that I mentioned is DOT approved, just like the obnoxiously heavy helmets that some people wear. If being lighter was a big downside, people would avoid the 509 & Klim helmets.

You guys can dismiss a lighter helmet if you want, it's you that's missing out.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Bell Moto 8 are great helmets you can't go wrong. But using DOT rating is not a good idea it is not worth the paper it takes to print it. You should be looking for a Snell 10 rating. That is the best standered test out for now. But take the time to size it right, and use the chin strap. See a lot of people that do not bother to strap the thing on.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Sorry, but take a look at the surroundings near a downhill course, the odds that you'll ever encounter that type of terrain sledding.

The blacklight helmet that I mentioned is DOT approved, just like the obnoxiously heavy helmets that some people wear. If being lighter was a big downside, people would avoid the 509 & Klim helmets.

You guys can dismiss a lighter helmet if you want, it's you that's missing out.

must have missed the DOT part....if it's DOT then I see no problem.

Green there is an article out there that would argue your DOT thoughts. Do a search on helmet threads, I know Tom from 509 linked it. Long but good read.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
This is what I understand about the ratings so please correct me if I am Wrong

DOT Rating

The DOT performs a straight forward impact test. Using a simulated head placed inside a helmet, testers drop the helmet from a height of ten feet. The head cannot receive more than 400 G-force units on impact. A G-force unit measures the force of gravity exerted against an object in motion.

Now here's the kicker with DOT rated helmets--manufacturers don't need to test their helmets in order to claim a DOT rating! A helmet manufacturer simply needs to feel that a helmet is meeting the DOT specifications to brand it as "DOT rated." The DOT might occasionally pull helmets to perform testing, but the majority of helmets sold as DOT certified do not undergo any level of testing.

Snell Rating

The Snell certification stands in rigorous contrast to DOT specifications. Helmet manufacturers voluntarily submit their products to the Snell evaluation service and pay for the testing procedures. These procedures are extensive and include seven test types, from impact to shell penetration tests to flame resistance testing. The type and degree of testing is dependent on the type of helmet and its application.

Snell cites the following areas as critical in helmet safety:

Impact management: how well the helmet protects against collisions with large objects;
Helmet positional stability: whether the helmet will be in place, on the head, when it's needed;
Retention system strength: whether the chin straps are sufficiently strong enough to hold the helmet throughout a head impact; and
Extent of protection: the area of the head protected by the helmet.

In short, Snell offers the highest certification standards regarding helmet safety. But a buyer will pay a higher price for Snell certified helmets, as the added costs of production and testing add to the overall value of the helmet.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
You may be correct...but doesn't Snell do 2 hits? Maybe even 2 to the same area...what are the odds of that in real life?

Where's Monte at....he knows lids.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Have not heard anything about them doing two hits in the same area. The only time I could really see that coming into play is Most people don't buy a new helmet after a crash. For me it is one hard crash and the helmet goes on the shelve and time for a new one.:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Me, I dont got much in thu hemmet I gotta pertect, so i just gets thu cheepes une i kin find.

I look at terrain & speeds on a dh bike & sled in comparison... DH is WAY more dangerous. Whatever the testing, if it can protect me on my bike where I crash into large rocks about 20+ times a year, it'll do on my sled where I MAYBE take a couple good hits to the head a year (yeah, I've taken quite a few in the ligther helmets & not a single issue yet)

On the other hand, I DO buy a new one each year, with the amount of crashes I take on my bike, I like to have a new lid each year.

I've got a couple really sweet, near mint DH helmets for sale...:face-icon-small-hap (make you a killer deal!!)

Premium Features