• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sledding Injuries

Jan 21, 2008
I exercise with knee braces and that works out well but when I ride with them they bug me - especially if they fall down or up - I sometimes use a plain wrist brace & one of them has the magnets in them - i have a lefthanded throttle because my hands are bad. I did use my riding padded vest yesterday when we went and that worked out pretty good. I think I'll use that from no on.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I like it. I first got it when I was working on a computer for years all day like you, then add doing other things, and I had trouble. The one thing, is that it does add some bulk in the glove thumb area, which I had to get used to at first (but not bad, and one has to get used to any new safety thing they add). It sure helped though.

I see that they have an open Wrist Thing, which wasn't available when I got my other one. I might just give that one a shot too since it's on sale right now. In the midst of more technical riding, I like more dexterity. I guess if I wore my other one all the time, I'd be used it and it wouldn't be an issue for me (as my knee & back braces aren't). :eek:

I even take my Wrist/ThumbThing shooting if we were going to be doing a long session (usually when going with friends and shooting a lot of rounds from different guns). :)

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
I need a coresaver. I like jumping and at some point will probably hurt myself worse......... Getting hurt for me is when, not if.... Already have bad knees and shoulders, one ankle, hips are kinda screwy, wrists are bad from roping, terrible back and neck..... Mostly from horses though.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I exercise with knee braces and that works out well but when I ride with them they bug me - especially if they fall down or up - I sometimes use a plain wrist brace & one of them has the magnets in them - i have a lefthanded throttle because my hands are bad. I did use my riding padded vest yesterday when we went and that worked out pretty good. I think I'll use that from no on.

It does take some getting used to. One thing I like about the RU Outside knee braces is that they hold in place well. I've had my share of knee problems, one knee scoped twice (opposite of my injury), so I've been through lots of different braces. I about gave up until I got the RU Outside ones.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Janet's first wreck caused a broken nose requiring extensive surgery to repair... her next wreck (at Lake Wenatchee) was coming off a jump broke her tibia, fibula, dislocated her knee and hip (when she is tired still limps, this crash required a bunch of surgeries to repair), another get off caused bilateral torn rotator cuffs, and the last one (I think it was at Look Out in a jump) she broke two or three ribs.. she usually wears a vest.. yea she is tough.. and she doesn't have tats but she can show you a ton of scars... yea I am proud of her.. but terrain racing has past her by (catch her at a NHRA race course... if you can) :D

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Ha.....didn't even know this "Powder Room" existed!

Sucks about the numerous injuries! I feel your pain....literally! Feel free to pm or post questions in an area I might see them. Kind of funny....but over the years, I think I've kind of become the Snowest Physical Therapist! LOL!

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Bummer about your injuries... I feel your pain (and apparently everyone elses too)

We are in a high risk sport no doubt!! I have been wearing a tekvest, knee/shin guards, good ankle supporting boots and a tether for a few years now. And I am sooooooo glad I do!!! Last year I took the bars to the chest and busted a camera that was in an outside pocket and bent the bars... got a handlebar shaped bruise across the ta-ta's but that's it.

Several times over the years I have come close to breaking my wrists... Fell in a hole 15 feet deep at a high rate of speed ~ well okay it was more like crashed into the other side ~ and managed to get some gashes in my forehead from my helmet.

But my worst one was December 27, 2008 ~ I hit a trench on a small uphill climb and got bucked off my sled. I went downhill backwards (upside down) only to look up between my legs about 20 above me, I see my sled rolling back towards me... so I scurry to get out of the way only to have it turn and chase me down. I got T-boned by my sled and where the track hit my left forearm I managed to break the ulna and radius. Like snapping a tree branch and somewhat straightening it out again. Thank God it wasn't a compound fracture - but it was 8 weeks of NO riding and I am still not 100%

M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
Well this is my second year riding and I've had my fair share of boo boo's. I rolled my sled on to my body the second time I rode it last year. Then in the middle of the season I was doing some carving and I ride a M5 so my feet were in the stirpus, and I went to pull to one side, fell off and broke an ankle and sprained a knee all on the same leg. Then trying to do a turn out while doing a little climb, again later in the season I rolled the track and tunnel onto my shins. :(
So far this year its been good though!! (knock on wood)

M
Feb 13, 2008
Woodland, Wa
www.myspace.com
Feb 5, 2009 cloudy riding day misjudged the lay of the terrain and nosed it into a whoop, throwing me forward along with my super throttle thumb. Hubby watched as I took out the only tree within 1 quarter mile where I then managed to end up under the sled face down in the tree well. For a job well done I received a compressed fracure T-9, nasty gash on my right shin and a chipped tooth.

Almost a year later still feel a little pain now and then, mostly when I clean house, dishes, laundry so hubby has to pick up the slack and give more back rubs :D It's all good:p

N
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
WOW! guess I feel pretty luck too!! Nothing serious, lots of bumps and bruises and of course sore muscles... I let my hubby go to the snowies this weekend:rolleyes: Told him he better come home in one piece as we are planning on going back out in a few weeks to ride. Last year he broke his ankle. Heeled fast and we made more trips. He'll have to stay at the lodge, if he cant ride! I might be looking for someone to ride with:):beer;

S

sledchick

Nov 26, 2007
NSL, UT
Been lucky as well, I've seen enough carnage in my lifetime with friends!! My time is probably coming though..:rolleyes: It's inevitable!!

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I came down with "tennis elbow" this season, directly related to sledding. I've had it for 3 weeks now. It was pretty minor (I thought I had a bruise) until last week's ride and then it began to hurt so bad that I was virtually crippled in my left arm. It's been a week with no improvement, even though I've been using anti-inflammatory meds as prescribed by my doc.

Anyone else ever have this? Any suggestions? I don't want my season to be over before it really starts!

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Dee and CG,

Ak is right about looking into hockey equipment. As more women enter that sport, the manufacturers are making 'women-shaped' stuff, and by the nature of the game, you have to be able to move well and easily.

Hockey shin pads are very light, and super-protective. Hockey elbow guards (more than just pads) are an excellent idea as well. I've been thinking of digging my pads out of the attic for just that reason.

PE

H

Happy Bunny

Dec 8, 2008
Mission, BC
What do you think of the thumb wrist thing Cat?
I work in an office so i am on the computer for 8+ hours a day durring the week. and after riding it takes me several days to get my hands to stop hurting.
Does the thumb wrist thing help with that?
I may need to try the knee one too

I suffered for years with tendonitis and continually injuring my knees and rotator cuffs.... then I discovered a fantastic little chinese lady who does awesome acupuncture! She puts me back together after all my injuries :)

Premium Features