• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

vholdr recorder

C
Feb 15, 2009
anybody got any complaints on these units?or any suggestions on others.i know thier use to be posts on this topic but couldnt come across any...thanks in advance.....bruski.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
tested a vholdr and thought it was great. very patiently awaiting my vholdr HD from sled solutions:D i personally think that if u are to compare price and qulaity to other cams such as hero go pro and viosport, i think its the best in the biz by far. viosport is nice but very spendy

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
i just got my vholdr hd from sled solutions a few weeks ago and it looks like a great unit...the only thing im worried about is when its under the hd setting it seems like the frames are really slow so it doesnt turn out on the computer...im not sure if its something with my computer but i tried it on a couple computers and it did the same thing. it works good under standard but not so good with hd.

M

maddog21

Mar 19, 2008
Charter Oak, Iowa
vholdr is great (not HD) you can view the videos on computer but i cant save the videos on my computer and other websites. its gay

got gopro hero and like it cuz i can view it on tv and computer, also can save it on my computer and used it on any websites

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
i just got my vholdr hd from sled solutions a few weeks ago and it looks like a great unit...the only thing im worried about is when its under the hd setting it seems like the frames are really slow so it doesnt turn out on the computer...im not sure if its something with my computer but i tried it on a couple computers and it did the same thing. it works good under standard but not so good with hd.

It's probably just too much data to process. I wonder how it would work after uploaded to a website.

I'll bet it makes good dvd's.

T
Dec 28, 2007
TX
vholdr

I have the vholdr I to didn't like the fact that you could not download the video to the computer. So asked my son in law to check into it for me and he did the format the vholdr uses is it's own he downloaded some programs that convert to a format so it can be downloaded to your computer. I will check with him to get the sites he downloaded the programs from and put them on here.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
It's probably just too much data to process. I wonder how it would work after uploaded to a website.

I'll bet it makes good dvd's.

There will be just as much data to process once it's on a DVD. Any computer that's not prehistoric should have no problem playing an HD video file.

The file recorded by the vholdr is a .mov file. You'll need something to convert from .mov to another file type such as .mpeg

Should be plenty of programs out there that you can find just googling for "convert .mov to .mpeg". Maybe txsnowmobile will post a good program when he replies. I've got some programs I use at home but can't remember the name of them. I don't have to do convert video files very much as my camcorder already records in .mpeg-4

Last edited:
D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Glad this thread came up. I have a GoPro and it's ok, but I was thinking of "upgrading" to a VHoldr. Not going to if you can't put the vids in your hard drive and edit them. I usually film several hours throughout the day, then edit the good stuff together with some tunes and share with the gang.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
fyi... the .mov files are a quicktime format, from apple.

Also, I believe that the hd versions use a H.264 type of compression. To view on your computer, you need to make sure you have the correct codecs in order to get the best performance.

Interesting that they finally made the full hd version.....

J
May 8, 2008
I have a buddy that bought one for last season and loved it. The only thing he complained about was the battery life on it. He ran into that problem more than once. Other than that, he loves it. I am probably going to get the HD model this year.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
fyi... the .mov files are a quicktime format, from apple.

Also, I believe that the hd versions use a H.264 type of compression. To view on your computer, you need to make sure you have the correct codecs in order to get the best performance.

Interesting that they finally made the full hd version.....

Correct.

I'd recommend downloading, "K-Lite Codec package". Since downloading that I've never needed to download any other codecs. Every movie file I've ever tried has played.

I have a buddy that bought one for last season and loved it. The only thing he complained about was the battery life on it.

How long was the battery lasting?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I'd recommend downloading, "K-Lite Codec package". Since downloading that I've never needed to download any other codecs. Every movie file I've ever tried has played.

VLC media player works good also. It has all the codecs built in. It looks nice and clean compared to some of the other media players.

Oh, it is free and is a small down load... Yes, I like it a lot...

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I Just pre-order there new full 1080p HD helmet cam yesterday. Suppose to ship out mid november. I am pretty pumped to get it. I might run into a problem editing the HD though with my current program, the newest roxio. Will have to see when it comes.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I have the standard Vholdr used it all last winter. Battery life is not great,(spare battery is cheap) but that is the case with pretty much all batteries I have used for snowmobiling in cold temps. (Lithium batteries do the best) I had no problem downloading all my video onto my hard drive, and I am just barely computer literate. Vholder supplies a program to download and organize the vids. I then used the windows movie maker that came with my computer to make a movie of my favorite clips, and burned a DVD. If I can do it anyone can. Great bang for the buck. I am considering upgrading to the HD version this year. Got mine from sled solutions at a snowshow last year and he is great to deal with.

Bob

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
i just downloaded the vlm media player and now the hd works fantastic. now if i could only figure out how to get it put on my pinnacle studios movie making program

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Glad this thread came up. I have a GoPro and it's ok, but I was thinking of "upgrading" to a VHoldr. Not going to if you can't put the vids in your hard drive and edit them. I usually film several hours throughout the day, then edit the good stuff together with some tunes and share with the gang.

Ditto. We make a dvd for virtually every trip, nice if it wasn't a pain the azz to do.
Everyone does some filming, so I deal with lots of formats already. Have a program to convert them, so maybe the vhold is the way to go.
Been unsure.:confused:

Premium Features