• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 RMK 800 Blowing belts

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
02 RMK 800 156 blew 3 belts in less than 5 miles. Clutches are in line and the CTC is 11.5, the weird part is the it appears the melting the belt a the top of the primary and when the belt breaks it doesn't shred it just breaks straight across the belt, if I keep it out of midrange I can ride all day. Both clutches are clean and not binding. It does have a TSS-98 secondary.

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
My track isn't tight tight but any looser and will start to ratchet. The motor mounts are all good. We had it on a stand in the shop and it was run without the hood on and the motor doesn't flex at all. I did blow a belt with it on the stand though, I was pinching it for 1-2 sec. wide open and it seemed fine but just one time a little longer than 5 sec. it blew, and that was with no load, the track was off the ground.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I did notice the bump stop is crushed a little bit and its split. I'll double check the mounts again

use a 3 ft prybar and pry up on the engine right by the clutches....my 02 did the same thing eating belts every 5 miles or so and I had 2 mounts ripped....

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
the mounts can shear off where the rubber is bonded to the steel plate but they still appear to be fine unless you actually pry up on the motor and see it move.
If your mounts are fine make sure you are running the proper deflection, the way you describe the belts breaking in half sounds like it is not from heat. I had the deflection adjusting bolt shear off my secondary (team) once and it caused the belt to ride up way too far until the cogs on the inside of the belt rubbed on the shaft on the primary. It vibrated really bad for about 10 seconds then the belt sheared in half from the inside out, sort of like you are describing. Hope that helps

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Thats kind of what its doing poorider. I put a new belt on it and took it out for a bit and played with it, when I brought it back in the clutches were cold and the was a belt burn 2 inches long at the top of the primary. Whatever melts the belt does it quick enough to not heat the clutch

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You're shifting the belts over the top of the clutches and then breaking them. It happens instantly if the belts go over the top.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What causes the belt to go over the top of the clutch?

Several things can make it happen. You can have center/center wrong, broken motor mounts letting the motor move, stupid low gearing letting it shift all the way out and then when shifted out backing out of the throttle.

The clutches actually shift up when you let off the gas on a snowmobile. If you are near full shiftout and back out and the belt has a little too much length in it from the things above then the belt will bounce over the top of the primary clutch and back, get yanged in half.

sled_guy

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
I checked the motor mounts tonight. I put a 3 ft. prybar under the motor strap and pryed up, everything is tight. When I had the secondary apart I did notice some play on the inner sheave bushing. I would run this thing with the belt guard off and check it but after so many belt, a footwell that isn't far from becoming 2 footwells, and a missing voltage regulator now I'm bout ready to throw in the towel on this one. I have 2 new clutches comming tomorrow that I will try, if that doesn't work, shes going under the knife.

Premium Features