• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tips for modifying running boards on 2000 mnt. max.

A
Oct 27, 2012
I have recently purchased a 2000 mountain max 700 triple that has some mods, including an after market tunnel the only problem is the intercooler runs directly through the outside of the running boards, I would like to modify them to open them up a little but not sure the best way of getting around the intercooler issue. If anyone has had the same problem and has a successful solution I'm open to any ideas. Thanks

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
intercooler? does it have a turbo? if you are talking about the heat exchangers ditch the running board coolers and go to a u cooler in the tunnel. surprised that was not already done if it has an aftermarket tunnel.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Paul i am guessing that he is looking to go with something like the air frame running boards but the aftermarket tunnel has, as you stated, a U-cooler already installed and is using the outer edge tubing for the supply and retrun plumbing lines like so many of the after market tunnels do, i think he just called it an intercooler by mistake. could be wrong of course.

A
Oct 27, 2012
My mistake i did mean the heat exchanger. bholmlate is correct the pluming runs on the outside or the running boards. How could I reroute the pluming so I can build air frame running boards?

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
Viper

I actually did this to the stock tunnel on my viper a few years back....i can look for some pics but it was basically a custom built set of evac running boards from my friend at JT SPorts.....a pair of edge coolers off a polaris, and a universal rear u cooler....it turned out super awesome and stiffened up the whole chassis really well. totally eliminated the stock undercoolers, ran the edge coolers butted up to the runningboards, back to the u cooler, d&r the chaincase with 9 tooth drivers 159 polaris track and this thing works really well......even if its only 120 HP haha, the wife rides it and really likes the way it tractors around....

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
pics

so i was able to dig up some pics from the running board modification. I had started with a bulkhead/tunnel only so it was easier to work on than just the complete sled, but it can still be done.

IMAG0043.jpg IMAG0009.jpg IMAG0036.jpg IMAG0033.jpg

Premium Features