• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 viper will not idle.

A
Jan 12, 2010
I have a 02 viper that will not idle. It will run if you pull the choke and feather the throttle. I know that this is a lean condition and I have cleaned the carbs 4 times replaced the reads put new gas in the tank. The problem will not go away and was wondering if the TPS could cause this and is there anyway to check it. does anyone have any ideas. THanks.

A
Jan 12, 2010
Ya dont no seems to have really good compression, and runs good once I get past the idle. I will look at that thanks.

A
Jan 12, 2010
Makes since the sled does have about 4000 miles on it, maybe its just time for a new one. Thank you for your help and I will for sure look into that.

easy check for crank seals: spray ether(starting fluid) at the seal behind the clutch and spray in the recoil area, while sled is running. any change in rpm? now,while your spraying, spray around the carb boots, both the airbox side and the motor side. any change in rpm? yes on either above, crank seal or boots not properly placed on the carbs. pretty rare for seals to go out at 4000 miles, unless you buy chit gas or are lame in your summerizing. now back to the carbs. i have heard a million times about carbs being "just cleaned". my money is on the fact that if they were cleaned 4 times the same way, they werent cleaned once. your dealing with the low speed or idle circuit. when you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the fuel screws, air jets and choke plungers? these all affect the idle circuit. i will tell you where the air jets are if you ask, because i got beer money on it says you didnt. did you do the obvious like pull the pilot jets, poke a wire through the holes, all the holes, like the four on the sides and the important ones up the middle? did you remove the fuel screws and account for the springs, o-rings and brass flat washers? did you use compressed air to blow out the carbs or at the least aerosol carb spray? if your still reading, all of these orifices are tied together, so if any of the above mentioned "plugs" were not removed during cleaning, where did the crud in the circuitry go? well, it went right back in! a good soaking doesnt accomplish much either, unless all the circuits are open. now, this is just a light touch on carb cleaning, so to help you with your running problem, how did you do on carb cleaning? 95% of the time, if you have to blip the choke to maintain an idle or run, its carbeuration. the other 5% is reeds, boots, or seals. let me know if you need more assistance.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
If you have debris in the gas you can clean the carbs and then you will plug the pilot as soon as you start it again. Install an inline fuel filter and REPLACE the pilot jets. You should be fine.

A
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you snodad4 I did pull all the fuel screws and jets blew threw all the circuts with carb cleaner and air. The one i did not get was the choke plunger totally escaped me. As for the air screw if you are talking about the little jet in the throut a 1.0 I think it is, yes i did pull it and clean with carb cleaner and air, would you be so kind to direct me a bit more on this circut, that would be awsome. Thank you so much for your help. looks like I will be pulling the carbs and getting after that choke plunger. Hope you didnt loose your beer money on the air jet LOL.

A
Jan 12, 2010
Great news I got the viper running again it was in fact the idle circut. I pulled the carbs again and this time included the cholke plungers, it cleaned up and is idleing again. Thanks for all you help Snodad youve been great! O Was wondering if you lost your beer money on the air jet or not . If i ever run into you on the mountain I would be happy to by you a beer. Thanks again.

Premium Features