• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Question (Y-pipe bolts)

Does anyone know if the bolts that hold the Y-pipe to the engine are the same on a 2004 800 HO and a 2008 800-R engine?

I have one missing on my 2008 and I have a 2004 Summit in the shop that I need to clean the carbs and re-ring before I ride it. I want to swap a bolt from the Summit to the XP so I can ride today.

Thanks!

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
Off the top-o-my head...Donnno, pull one of each and if they match up yer good to go otherwise stop by the local Ace Hardware and pick up a couple of m6 and m8 (I think M8 1.0 or 1.25 pitch), they are cheap and then ya got it in yer hand when you are staring longingly at your sled. Another option is to load up the sled, pull a bolt, haul it to the hardware store, buy the correct bolt and install it in the parking lot, go ride ;).

D
Oct 25, 2009
Any tips for getting at the Y pipe bolts? What kinda head do they have on them? Pulling my motor for the first time this week and a pal told me that the Y pipe bolts are the biggest PITA part about pulling the engine.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
The right tools make it a 5 minute job.
-8" long 5mm hex head w/wobble tip
-Extra 3/8 drive extension. Preferably with wobble tip.
-3/8" ratchet

I didn't have any of those tools that Whitefish talks about, so...

it was a major pain in the azz to get them off my 2004 800 Summit! I had a 5mm normal L-shaped hex wrench with a ball end on one end. Visualize standing on your head inside the belly pan of the sled!:eek: Start by taking off the muffler and pipe. I also removed the cover off the y-pipe.

To top it off, someone had tried to tighten the bolts at one time and rounded them off inside, so the ball end of the hex wrench wouldn't loosen them.

I will be buying new bolts and the tools tomorrow so it will be easier to put them back on when I'm done re-ringing the Summit.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
They are the same and yes, the ONLY way to do it is the extended 5mm ball end hex head socket. I got a whole set from Harbor Freight for $13!

Have FUN!

G MAN

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
I removed my eng, complete rebuild. So I pulled the moter mount bolts and tilted the eng. back some... makeing the angle better, you still need the above mentioned tools ...didnt need to pull the y pipe cover. Dino

I removed the cover because I wanted to see what condition the y-pipe was in. I read lots of posts about cracked y-pipes! I figured, as long as I'm taking the cover off anyway, take it off before I removed the y-pipe and it might give me a little more room. ;)

At lunch, I'll be on my way to the dealer to buy some new ones to replace the rounded out ones (and have a spare or two) and then to Ace or Fastenal to buy some Nord locks.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
You can buy the bolts at ace or fastenel also. No need to make a trip to the dealer and pay more.
Ace will not have the nordlock washers though. fastenel will.

Premium Features