• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

knee/ shin guards?

T
Dec 9, 2007
Tahoe
i have been rooping almost everyday for the last few weeks and my legs and shins are getting beat up. Going over the bars did not help. Can anyone reccommend some knee/ shin guards/ pads that are super lightweight and flexible?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
try any motocross store. Shin pads from 15 on up. I use some Thor ones for biking and they stay put great and work awesome. Haven't tried them under my bibs though.

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
I've been using my old Fox mountian biking shin pads and love them... they actually tuck down in the boot and are comfortable and not noticable!!!

Say no to Bleeding Shins:)

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
troy lee

i wear my troy lee knee t-bone pads that i wear DH mountain biking. not total shin coverage but super flexiable and light. a little tight first ride, but they will loosen up. i slip them over my first layer then my snow pants on top. they stay in place well and arent bulky hunks of plastic. plus i use all troy lee gear and not one things has ever crapped out on me when it shouldnt have.
heres the link
http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1144

i never ride with out them now

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
any mx pads should do ya fine, feel naked without mine on even with the padding in my klim pants

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I use the EVS vision knee braces. Probably a little overkill for most people. We stock EVS Thor Fox Shift knee guards all in the $12-$20 range. Skinz Protective Gear also offers some knee pads that mount on the sled.

Rain Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2002
Brainerd,MN
Tru-Fit Knee Pads

I use a pair of these, all neoprene. I wear HMK boots, then strap these on just above the boots and they keep them from sliding down. Cover my shin all the way up to the bottom of my knee, forget they are even there. I'm 6'4" tall, so if your shorter they will cover some of your knee, however I have had a lot less knee shots with these on as well for some reason? Don't remember where I got them but I've seen them at sports stores before.
attachment.php

P1140673 (Small).JPG

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Used to wear HRP MX shin guards. They worked great, no complaints and very comfortable. I tweaked my knee last season so I now wear EVS MX knee braces which double as knee/shin guards.

Curious what your decision process was to go with EVS vs. Asterisk? Looking to get a set myself. Are yours a prescription fit?

Something about tweaking my knee on the side, always seem to do it at least once a year.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Know a few guys that wear softball knee pads ("sliders") in the rodeo arena, really helps from getting your knees banged up in the chutes. Not a lot of support, but they're thin and flexible... might be worth lookin into that. If it's hard armor you're after, might go with mx gear.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I wear a set of mx knee/shin guards, have been for three years now, they work great! Cheap investment too.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I've been wering the FOX MX ones for years and really like them but I need to get a new set since the knee cup on one is split down the middle. Trust me I was happy I had'em on that time. Pretty much any of the MX ones work well and are pretty comfy. Try a bunch on at a shop and find some that fit well and are comfy with your riding boots on. Different brands are slightly different.

S
Nov 29, 2007
I wear EVS motocross knee/shin gaurds. Wouldnt ride without them now. Just like a TekVest, I hit an uphill roller in fog going about 55 mph the other day and slammed into the bars. My ribs still hurt when I laugh, the $200 paid for the TekVest paid for its self in medical bill savings.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Fly makes some for about $50. I won't ride without them. They have saved me plenty of times.

C
Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota/Wisconsin
Curious what your decision process was to go with EVS vs. Asterisk? Looking to get a set myself. Are yours a prescription fit?

Something about tweaking my knee on the side, always seem to do it at least once a year.

PRICE!!! I forget exactly what they cost, but these were $200-250 for a pair where everything else was like $200 for one. I forget the model name, but they are twin bars, with a hard plastic cup over the knee cap and a foam/rubber body. They come in diferent sizes but its kind of a universal fit.

Like I said I had a somewhat servere MCL injury last season (sit down, grab your ankle and violently pull it toward your face, that's the pricipal of what happened in my dismount anyway). At that point I knew I needed to start wearing braces (why do bad things have to happen before we wise up?), but even when my knee still hurt I couldn't stomach the cost of any of the other braces. These were still expensive IMO, but they were the only ones I would consider at all affordable.

They are the lesser of two evils in MX riding comfort wise, but with looser fitting sled gear I forget I'm wearing them.

Premium Features