• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 oil leak / questions

I
Nov 28, 2007
I have an 05 IQR, that i put the 900 CFI in back in 2005.
Everything SLP is done. (ecu, porting, head, exhaust, v-force, clutching)

When i took it out of storage this fall i noticed an oil puddle beneath it. I was planning to take it all apart anyhow as my motor mounts were in need of replacement.

Before splitting the motor i hooked up the oil tank with the motor on the bench to see if i could locate the leak. Never saw it leak externally, but since i heard some weird sloshing when turning over the engine, i pulled the crankcase drain plugs and lots of VES Gold came dumping out. So it was leaking internally too!

I took the motor apart and here are my bulleted observations:
* external oil leak
*somehow the oil reservoir is leaking into the crank/cylinder areas
* PTO piston visually had more slop than the mag side, and a small mm sized chip with some pitting around the outside.
*reeds have chips missing of ends of tabs

One thing to point out: about 150 miles prior my original clutch had broke in half. i put one i i got from a dealer on it that was the correct clutch and in great shape.

Any advice on where to go from here?

I'm thinking to check the crank runout as i wonder if breaking the clutch threw out the crank which in turn is causing some internal leakage.

Or should i just do my cylinders and slap it back together?

All the bearings feel really good yet. I've had my cylinders re-plated twice each with new polaris pistons each.

And here is the most important question: is the oil reservoir really needed? what would happen if i just didn't hook it back up to oil.... i've never been a fan of it.

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Your oil is probably leaking from the center oil seals. You can check this by filling oil above the center oil outlet and letting it sit for a bit....you will probably see the oil level go down. Then drain it below the center oil outlet and letting it sit and the oil won't go down.

Oil could also be leaking from one of the check valves.. These can be checked by applying air to them...they should be able to hold about 6 psi (I think)....A syringe and a piece of oil hose will work well for this.

You need the oil reservoir because the center oil outlet is used to bath the cross shaft in oil.

Definitely check your runout (this should be part of the regular maintenance routine on a 900)

A

Alancour

Dec 22, 2011
I am having the same oil leak issue with my 05 900. What is the fix if the leak is center crank seal? I assume the crank will need to be taken apart.

Premium Features